VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Followup to my posting of yesterday. I answered my question by digging deeper into
    the DVD Decrypter options. I found the switch to suppress the window that was annoying
    me. Sorry for the bother.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so very much for this guide. I've got several seasons of various tv shows, and movies. Lots of dvds.

And I wanted to convert them to .avi so I could fit a whole season (for a half hour show) on a single dvd. I've got a divx capable dvd player and am happy with it.

Anyway, this is great. Simple, just copy it with dvd decrypt, and then just run it through autogk.

One question though, I was reading somewhere about some of these free solutions are not as high quality as some higher end programs. I'm wondering if anyone thinks/knows that this way is as good? I get pretty good results.

For instance I converted an episode of Frasier, 175mb. Looks pretty good. But not as sharp as some I've seen with the same file size and running length. Any tips on improving that? I may have confused you all, I'm a little fuzzy myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using this guide, and had some success, but not exactly what I wanted. I got 1 episode to convert right with AutoGK, but it was the 2CD 1400 mb version. It did work I canceled it & tested the video & it worked. But everytime I try it at a lower size, the 1/4 CD 175 mb or any others, I get the same error: "video compression error: the source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)" I retried it on the 1400 mb again & got that error on those setting as well. Any idea why I'm getting this error? Did I rip it with DVD decryptor wrong or missing some setting somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually got that error before.

I believe it was something to do with the width in the AutoGK settings. Just above the Add Job/Start/Abort box on the lower right, click Advanced Settings.

Then on the output resolutions, try Auto. Or try Fixed and set it at 640, or 512 seems to work well for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried auto, I tried the 640 fixed width that was in the guide, both had the error. I'll give 512 a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This seems to be a common in the error log: EXCEPTION: Open avi failed. Any idea why? I tried a different video on auto, it didn't come up with any error pop up, it just didn't work. I checked the log & that's the last thing in it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had that problem as well. It happened when I went into the hidden menu in AutoGK (Ctrl+F9) and changed something, just to see what it did.

I'm afraid I don't know how to get the default settings back in that menu.

Hopefully someone else here may know what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I never changed any settings that I know of. Don't think I ever got into the hidden menu
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you might try uninstalling autogk and reinstalling. I really don't know what the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I'll give it a shot. Is there somewhere here where I can find what all the correct settings should be? Is it possible that I've got a setting wrong with DVD decryptor?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you vey much for this tut.

alot of people are gonna be so happy i can fill their requests for my seasons of shows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would not recommend using VBR mp3, CBR mp3 is better or even better on episodic discs keep the original 2ch ac3 , Most times its at 196k so takes up very little extra space. 384k 5.1 ac3 is a lot bigger tho and should be downconverted. vbr mp3 is bad especially if you try to edit the avi's at some point, will probably end up with lip-synch errors. Ripped dvds (if ripped as iso ) can be mounted under daemon tools and re-processed. A bitrate of 1000kb is good, anything less and the quality starts to fall away. quality based encoding using agk will HALVE your encoding time 65 is reasonable qaulity 70 is good 76 is the canines sperm sacs.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I absolutely LOVE your batch file. I use it with megui and it's great!

Here is my dilemma

Your batch file allows for:

P - Command DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD that has MULTIPLE PGCs per ONE VTS.
    V - Command DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD that has ONE PGC per MULTIPLE VTSs.

Can you make it so that you can do MULTIPLE PGCs per MULTIPLE VTS?

I'll explain. Many DVD's split the episodes with commentary onto a separate PGC (since the VOB needs two channels of audio). For example, the one I'm doing now has the first two epidsodes (with commentary) in VTS 1, the next two (no commentary) in VTS 2, and the last one (with commentary) in VTS 3. It would be great to do the "MMULTIPLE PGC / MULTIPLE VTS" so I don't have to run the batch file more than once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handtruck
    I absolutely LOVE your batch file. I use it with megui and it's great!

Here is my dilemma

Your batch file allows for:

P - Command DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD that has MULTIPLE PGCs per ONE VTS.
    V - Command DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD that has ONE PGC per MULTIPLE VTSs.

Can you make it so that you can do MULTIPLE PGCs per MULTIPLE VTS?

I'll explain. Many DVD's split the episodes with commentary onto a separate PGC (since the VOB needs two channels of audio). For example, the one I'm doing now has the first two epidsodes (with commentary) in VTS 1, the next two (no commentary) in VTS 2, and the last one (with commentary) in VTS 3. It would be great to do the "MMULTIPLE PGC / MULTIPLE VTS" so I don't have to run the batch file more than once.
    Hi handtruck,

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion. I'm glad that you find it useful! A "manual" mode, so to speak, is something I have been thinking about since Andrew posted his question back in Jan. A manual mode (whereby you can specify the VTS, PGC and chapters for EACH episode) should overcome both yours and Andrew's issue. As Andrew didn't get back to me though, I never pursued it.

If a manual mode is the sort of thing you think would help, PM me and let me know and I will look into it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there. This is the first time I've tried backing up my DVD's, and downloaded the tools you recomended. I think virtual dub worked fine. It ripped the .ifo and .vob files into the folders I created. But when I tried to open the .ifo file using the AUTOGK, in the "input" field it gives me this message: "WARNING Error parsing IFO file". I've looked through these back questions but haven't seen anything about this.

I'm COMPLETELY new to this, and have set my virtualdub settings to exactly how you recomend, so I don't know how I would go about "tweaking" any settings on my own yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good info ... thank you
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried this approach on a series DVD, but it didn't have any PGC files. Everything was set up in an .ifo and .vob format on the disk. Since I don't know what these files are, I just went with the gorilla method and used the file names as mentioned in your article. Thus I just used the AGK portion of your tutorial and followed those directions. Was this the correct approach or should I have done something else?

At any rate I get a bunch of files, but they don't seem to be what I need and the .avi file is very small and doesn't have the name extension I would have expected. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by STL20J
    Hey there. This is the first time I've tried backing up my DVD's, and downloaded the tools you recomended. I think virtual dub worked fine. It ripped the .ifo and .vob files into the folders I created. But when I tried to open the .ifo file using the AUTOGK, in the "input" field it gives me this message: "WARNING Error parsing IFO file". I've looked through these back questions but haven't seen anything about this.

I'm COMPLETELY new to this, and have set my virtualdub settings to exactly how you recomend, so I don't know how I would go about "tweaking" any settings on my own yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    STL20J

Did you use DVD Decrypter? VirtualDub isn't actually required for this guide, it's just recommended as something useful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mpw777
    I tried this approach on a series DVD, but it didn't have any PGC files. Everything was set up in an .ifo and .vob format on the disk. Since I don't know what these files are, I just went with the gorilla method and used the file names as mentioned in your article. Thus I just used the AGK portion of your tutorial and followed those directions. Was this the correct approach or should I have done something else?

At any rate I get a bunch of files, but they don't seem to be what I need and the .avi file is very small and doesn't have the name extension I would have expected. Any thoughts?
    mpw777

DVDs don't actually have PGC files. DVDs have .VOB and .IFO files. A PGC is a virtual container within the file structure of the DVD. DVD Decrypter will show you the PGCs in the pane on the right-hand side. In most cases one PGC contains one episode on the DVD.

Rather than go at it gorilla style (lol), if you get a copy of DVD decrypter and follow the guide word-for-word, you will end up with .VOB and .IFO files which you can feed into AutoGK.

I hope that makes sense?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Nice guide and super DVD-DC script.. one of the bets nuggets I've found in recent months. Thanks, saved me employing child labour to decrypt the files one at a time on episodic disks!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Thank you so much!
    I've looked at SOOO many online forums for exactly what you have posted!
    I'm very much still in the learning process and let me tell you, your guide was so comprehensive and easy to understand! Very nicely done!

My only trouble was that my DVD was a little tricky. It had numerous VTS folders, each with files of about 20 minutes in duration. The only trouble was that out of the 8 "could be" episodes, there are only 5 episodes per CD. So i guess ill just do a little process of elimination.

Let me thank you again, you are awesome!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sraelish
    My only trouble was that my DVD was a little tricky. It had numerous VTS folders, each with files of about 20 minutes in duration. The only trouble was that out of the 8 "could be" episodes, there are only 5 episodes per CD. So i guess ill just do a little process of elimination.

Let me thank you again, you are awesome!
    sraelish,

In that case you are probably best off ripping all 8 VTS chains, then using VLC (freeware) to determine which you want to keep.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

I create a small GUI, to create folder tree for series.

Hope this help.

Have a nice day.

Jeff

seriesdirectorymaker.rar
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a problem when i select i want to use a selected bit rate whenever it goes to do the second pass for the avi it dosnt close the first "virtualbudmod" session and when it tries to start the second pass session it say something else is already accessing the avi file and stops... any ideas on how to fix this ??

-Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nxcmp
    i have a problem when i select i want to use a selected bit rate whenever it goes to do the second pass for the avi it dosnt close the first "virtualbudmod" session and when it tries to start the second pass session it say something else is already accessing the avi file and stops... any ideas on how to fix this ??

-Thanks
    Hi nxcmp,

I'm sorry you are having problems. I've not come across this error before. I don't suppose this is the same error? http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=93554

If not, what is the exact error message you are getting?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone, maybe you guys can help me with some frustration I have been having. I really like this guide, easy to follow, everything can be done in batches etc but and this is a big BUT, every single tv episode I have encoded using this the audio is out of sync. I tried Grey's Anatomy season 1 and Lost season 2 so far and every episode is off.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and will contribute to my sanity.

I can obviously use nandub/vdub to go through trial and error to fix the sync but that takes way too long, also I have checked the vobs and they are in sync.

thanks agian for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gertsrule
    Hey everyone, maybe you guys can help me with some frustration I have been having. I really like this guide, easy to follow, everything can be done in batches etc but and this is a big BUT, every single tv episode I have encoded using this the audio is out of sync. I tried Grey's Anatomy season 1 and Lost season 2 so far and every episode is off.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated and will contribute to my sanity.

I can obviously use nandub/vdub to go through trial and error to fix the sync but that takes way too long, also I have checked the vobs and they are in sync.

thanks agian for your help
    Hi Gertsrule,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. I doubt there is a problem with the decryption process (DVD Decrypter), it's more likely to stem from AutoGK. However, there doesn't seem to be an option in AutoGK to correct audio-sync. Have you tried searching the forums for anyone having similar issues? You may also want to try the AutoGK site.

If you get no joy, you might need to experiment to try and find the source of the issue, so to start with you may want to try using a different video codec. It's probably a good idea to test things with a small section of video (i.e. only rip a chapter or two with DVD Decrypter) so that you don't have to wait ages for the video to decode. So if you are trying to use XviD, try DivX (or vice versa). You may also want to try CBR instead of VBR (or vice versa). You could also try selecting the "Original" Output audio type option (if you don't mind using the original audio stream).

Another thing to try would be single pass mode. To use that simply select "Target quality (in percentage)" on the main screen and use that option. The default quality rating will probably suffice for when you are experimenting.

If you get absolutly no joy with AutoGK, you should try another VOB -> AVI converter (it's worth trying to get AutoGK to work first though as it often gives some of the best results). You should find a selection in the "Tools" section of this site. Alltoavi and SUPER are a couple I've come across, but I'm not sure if they support VOB -> AVI and they don't seem as slick as AutoGK.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have tried to follow this guide, successfully ripped the ifo and vob for each episode, and set up auto gk as indicated. however, at some point, virtual dub comes up with the following error:

FastWriteStream: couldn't open "C:\blabla\ep1.avi": The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

any ideas what may be happening here?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  29. any ideas what may be happening here?

Running a Symantec AntiVirus? See if this helps solve the problem:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=93554

Or disable it when using AutoGK.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i not must of reader but can u explain if this method also works backwards.
    convert tv series multipes avi files into one single dvd for playin on dvd player
    Quote Quote