VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a program that I can use to verify my disc doesn't have any errors in it? I have been having trouble with some DVD+R discs. I can burn the same VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD-R and it plays fine, but some of my DVD+R discs don't play in one of my DVD players (they play fine in other players though). I want a program that can test the integrity of the burned DVD.
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some players just don't like +R media. If your burner is capable of bitsetting, then bitset the +R and +R DL discs as DVD-ROM. This will usually take care of that problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some program's verification mechanism is questionable too. I've checked disks with DOS FC (File Compare) and found errors that the disk verification didn't catch. It's happened with early versions of Nero (don't know about later versions), and Roxio through version 6.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read test all of mine with DVD Info Pro
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. Does anyone have a picture of the output of DVD info pro?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  6. The fact that the same disc plays in all but one player points the finger of blame to the player not liking _+R format or not liking the +R format brand you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Nero. There's an option you can check on the burning screen to 'verify written data'. This verifies the disc bit-for-bit vs what is on your hdd. Nero also does some basic complience checking.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akrako1
    I use Nero. There's an option you can check on the burning screen to 'verify written data'. This verifies the disc bit-for-bit vs what is on your hdd. Nero also does some basic complience checking.
    Is there any way to run the same Nero check on a disc that has already been written to?
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. And frankly, verification by this method is a waste of time. I have never seen it work, either in burning software or seperate verification software. I would not trust the output, regardless of whether or not it said pass or fail.

A read test tells you only that everything on the disc can be retrieved. It doesn't verify that what you hope is on the disc is, in fact, on the disc, just that what is there can get read back again. However the results I have seen from various verification processes, this is about as reliable as anything else.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nero CD-DVD Speed can be run after the fact. Depending on what version you have the menus are different. Go to Start, Programs, Nero, Nero Toolkit. And you can run scandisc which will check for unreadable, weak or Ok parts of the disc. Or if you can not find it go here and download it

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Nero_CD-DVD_Speed

This version has scandisc. disc quality, benchmark and a couple of other options on the main screen.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    No. And frankly, verification by this method is a waste of time. I have never seen it work, either in burning software or seperate verification software. I would not trust the output, regardless of whether or not it said pass or fail.

A read test tells you only that everything on the disc can be retrieved. It doesn't verify that what you hope is on the disc is, in fact, on the disc, just that what is there can get read back again. However the results I have seen from various verification processes, this is about as reliable as anything else.
    I'm unsure if you mean the Nero verify after burning or any brands? Or do you mean you would never run any check the disc software? I use them and have seen discs fail and sure enough they do not play. They may not be perfect but I've never had a disc that failed nero's scandisc that played OK. As to verifying that what you want is on the disc that is the person doing the burns responsibility unless I'm misunderstanding you.

IMHO Doing the verify and/or scandisc after the burn may not ensure that it plays OK, OTOH it should ensure that you can re-rip to burn again if there is a problem playing. Example my TDK Printables Scan Ok, But may have pauses near the end. However that also may be a function of the printable surface causing some of the problems like labeling since it does seem to add a layer to the top of the disc.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a difference between read testing, which simply verifies that the data can be read from the disc, and the post burn verification process which programs like Nero run. These purport to compare the data on the disc to the original. Time and again I have seen these throw up failures when the data is clean, or sucess when the data is in fact corrupt. I have never had a disc that passed the read tests fail in playback. I have had many discs pass the read test, having failed verification, only to find the data contained on them to be intact.

I read test every burn with DVD Info Pro. But I would not waste my time using the data verification tool built into any burning application.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. zakman
    What exactly are you trying to verify?
    If you are verifying the burn, then it can be done with the burning software like NERO immediately after the burning is completed - I do it all the time.
    This is very important for backing up software, where even one byte of data loss may make the software useless.
    For DVD_video_rom, loss of a few bytes hardly matters.
    As mentioned by others here, sometimes, the verification by the burning software like NERO might show errors in the disk even though in reality no error exists.
    In such a case, (depending on the need - e.g. Software or Video/Audio data) I generally copy the matter to a separate folder or partition and then use file compare(FC in Windows). My experience is that when NERO has shown existence of errors in the written disk, the FC has only reconfirmed it.

Regarding the other verification - whether your DVD-Video disk is a compatible one or not, it is a very difficult matter to check. Even when software players play the disk without any problem, sometimes the stand alones would not play or play it jerkily or it may not play in one particular player. I have found the highest compatibility with max number of standalones, when using DVD-R media with Nero DVD-Video selection for burning. Selecting UDF-ISO (1.02 UDF) has given me some disks which play fine with software players but would not play in any standalone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    post burn verification process which programs like Nero run. These purport to compare the data on the disc to the original. Time and again I have seen these throw up failures when the data is clean, or sucess when the data is in fact corrupt.
    Pretty much. Worthless tests that waste about 10 minutes.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ark
    zakman
    What exactly are you trying to verify?
    Here is an example: I will often make a DVD disc which I let my friends borrow. My goal is to have a disc which will play on their player, but I don't have the luxury of testing on their player first. I have several standalone players which I use to test my burns -- I figure that increases my chances of finding a problem. One of my players (the Sony) seems to play just about anything (DVD+/-R/RW)... until last week when I burned a DVD+R disc and it paused in the middle of the introductory clip. It kept repeating the same 5 seconds over and over until eventually it continued. So I burned it again and had the same problem. It works in other players, just not the Sony. Please note that when I burn the same VIDEO_TS files to DVD-R it plays fine.

So, I wanted to try to determine if the problem is with the player or the disc. I was wondering if maybe the disc was just a "little flakey" - just bad enough to cause a problem on one player, but not bad enough for another player. So, I thought it would be a good idea to run a program that could give me some sort of indication if the disc was a little flakey or not.

Eventually, I reburned the disc (using same software). But the problem was still there.

I have noticed other discs in my collection which give problems with various players -- but not all of them. So I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a program I could run on the disc each time I find a "Suspect" disc. That would tell me if reburning would help or not.
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote  
  16. Zak,
    If you burn your compiled Video_Ts folder using Nero Burning ROM with DVD_Video selection, it will check to see if there are any issues with the compilation. Only when Nero finds all the items are right that it will agree to burn without giving any error message. My experience has been that any disks burned with NeroBurning ROM in DVD_Video mode selection, and without any error message, has produced DVD_Video disks, which do not have any difficulty playing on any player.
    Regarding bad quality writable disks (i.e. poor reflectivity factor), this shows up as spontaneous black or coloured blocks where pixels are missed due to failure to read by the player.
    What you could try is top use FixVTS on the the complete set of VOBs for disk that is giving problem and reburn it using Nero.
    Quote Quote