VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi ,
    anyone knows how to edit .srt font and color?
    I just successfully hardsub a movie using virtualdubmob = avi (hardsub)
    but the outcome is the usual white color font, how can I change the font color to yellow or green cause from what I read it more readable.

Is there any software that I can use to first change (.srt) its color and font before using virtualdubmob for hardsubbing???

any easy procedure?, cause Im not that good in computer, it took me ages to follow "Baldrick-how to add permanent sub using virtualdubmob" instruction.

I tried subtitle workshop but dont see any option in changing colors.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you change color in the vsfilter / vobsub plugin settings, not in the srt file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, I don't think you can change those things with an SRT format sub file. I change them to SSA (SubResynch, which comes with the VobSub package will do it, as well as many other apps) and then open them in SubStation Alpha where you can change font, color, size, position, etc. fairly easily. Then you can encode with the SSA subs, burning them into the video and keeping the font, color, etc. as you set them up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    then open them in SubStation Alpha where you can change font, color, size, position, etc. fairly easily.
    Good old Notepad will do quite nicely too, once you understand how .ssa works.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for all the info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive my bad english

You can change your colors letters directly from your movie in the HD with IfoEdit
    IfoEdit>>open your movie>>click VTS_PGCITI >>click "+">>click VTS_PGC_1
    In the below window look for this lines
    Color 0 Y Cr CB (<<background)
    Color 1 Y Cr CB (<<contorns)
    Color 2 Y Cr CB (<<letters)
    Color 3 Y Cr CB (<<antialias)

Click twice on the third line (Color2 Y Cr CB) and change this for d2 92 10 (this is for yellow),
    click OK, and then SAVE >>select the SAME IFO file that opened your video and click save
    Thats all, now you have a yellow letters

I use this settings for my subtitles

10 80 80 (black background) (transparent)
    28 bd ef (blue contorns)
    d2 92 10 (yellow letters) (eb 80 80 for white letters)
    7d 80 80 ( grey antialias)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True, but that doesn't really apply to a hard subbing an AVI - but good info on how to change subtitle colors for DVD subs.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK .. But How Do I change the Subs color just using IDX files and SUB files?? Just edit the IDX file in Notepad and I'm good to go?
    Quote Quote  
  9. You can change the IDX/SUB color in Notepad, but it's pretty difficult for me. I prefer to use VobSub Configure, which comes included in the VobSub package.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Any other app .. I converted it into SUP using SubtoSup ..
    How do I process this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK Found this:
    Whilst editing the IDX file in Notepad:

# The original palette of the DVD
    palette: 4c5c05, b9de12, 000000, fdfdfd, e5f842, ee4ac6, fdfdfd, fcfcfc, 0d60da, fafaf8, f9f9f7, f8f8f6, f6f6f4, f6f6f4, f5f5f3, f4f4f4

This is what I have in my Original DVD IDX file .. Which is in Yellow color ..

I found this in this post

palette: 000000, 121212, 6d6d6d, d9d9d9, 000000, 121212, 848484, cacaca, 111111, 9a9a9a, ffffff, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282, 828282
    When I interchanged this in the IDX file, Voila! I got the blue Black subtitle color..
    So here's what I want to know..
    Is there a reference table for DVD Subs colors like this?
    For EG:
    Black --> Corresponding Code
    Blue --> Corresponding Code
    Blue-Black --> Corresponding Code
    White --> Corresponding Code
    Red --> Corresponding Code

???

and is Yellow color OK? Won't it bad for watching on the telly.
    What color do you guyz suggest so that it is pleasant?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure about the format (if it's RGB or the format in the IFO) but I think it's rgb.
    Then:
    Black --> 000000
    Blue --> 0000FF
    Blue-Black --> 000080
    White --> FFFFFF
    Red --> FF0000

Same as format as HTML colors, actually.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. There are a bunch of charts available to give you the color values:

http://www.mrs.umn.edu/committees/wwwac/toolbox/color.html
    http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorsafe.html
    http://www.hypersolutions.org/pages/rgbhex.html

I still say it's easier to change the IDX/SUB format colors using VobSub Configure.

And SUP format subs can be changed using DVDSubEdit.

About the only time I like yellow for subs is when watching anime. I prefer a nice grey color for live action movies
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To change the colors directly in the IFO of a DVD you can use a program named SupRemap without the need of put the hex values, just open your IFO and click in the color you want to change and choose a color
    This sup editor is intended for sup files created by Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, sorry for bumping such an old topic.
    I have a problem with changing the colours of the subtitles. Some of my videos have white subtitles while some have cyan. I would like to change them all to white. The subtitles are in .idx/.sub format. What I have did is to try and modify the .idx file.
    Those videos that have the white subtitles have these lines in the corresponding .idx file:

palette: e83f07, e19120, f3c71b, f8ff18, 9bd22a, 54a530, 12eb12, 15bef6, 0300e3, 4c0353, c12262, ffffff, b3b3b3, 808080, 4e4e4e, 000000

# Custom colors (transp idxs and the four colors)
    custom colors: OFF, tridx: 1010, colors: ffffff, ffffff, 808080, 000000

Those that have cyan subtitles contain this:

palette: e83f07, e19120, f3c71b, f8ff18, 9bd22a, 54a530, 12eb12, 15bef6, 0300e3, 4c0353, c12262, ffffff, b3b3b3, 808080, 4e4e4e, 000000

# Custom colors (transp idxs and the four colors)
    custom colors: ON, tridx: 1010, colors: ffffff, ffffff, 808080, 000000

Notice that the custom colors line is different, one being OFF... and one being ON.... What I have done is change the custom colours: ON to OFF in the .idx files that gave rise to cyan subtitles. That didn't work, that is, the subtitles are still cyan in colour.

Even with that difference, some of the videos that have white subtitles contain "custom colors: ON..." in their corresponding .idx file, which i think is pretty weird. Could it be that is not the line that is affecting the subtitle font colour?

So I have tried using VobSub configure. I'm not exactly sure how to use it, but I did play around with the settings a little, but the cyan subtitles remain.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sooojaded
    Some of my videos have white subtitles while some have cyan. I would like to change them all to white.
    Easiest way is DVDSubedit. It can change colours in the VOBs and IFOs, or in SUP files (you can convert SUB/IDX to SUP if you need to).

You change one, then "Edit/Apply last modification to all" will do as it says.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually, I don't mind going through all the trouble of changing each file one by one, but I would really like to keep the format as it is. That is, keeping it as .idx/.sub format. DVDsubedit does not seem to support these formats. I would really like to know what are the areas in the subtitle files that are directly determining the colour. Thanks though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sooojaded
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually, I don't mind going through all the trouble of changing each file one by one, but I would really like to keep the format as it is. That is, keeping it as .idx/.sub format. DVDsubedit does not seem to support these formats. I would really like to know what are the areas in the subtitle files that are directly determining the colour. Thanks though.
    As I said, you can convert SUB/IDX to SUP (with SubToSup).

Then you can use tools like Supviewer or DVDSubedit to change the colours.
    Most authoring apps support SUP format (with a palette file).

I don't know any tools that can do this for SUB/IDX, though there may be.

Of course, DVDSubedit can change the colours after you author to VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So I have tried using VobSub configure. I'm not exactly sure how to use it, but I did play around with the settings a little, but the cyan subtitles remain.
    After opening the IDX in VOBSub Configure, check the "Custom Colors" box. If you see that cyan color, click on it and change it to white followed by "OK". If you don't see it, I'm not positive as I don't have a 2-color IDX with which to test, but I'd check the drop-down box at the top for something different.

If that doesn't work, I'd go the DVDSubEdit route. Change to SUP format (SubtitleCreator is what I use->Tools->Manipulate SUP or VobSub->Open Sub (open the IDX/SUB)->Save Sub (Save as SUP). Then open the SUP in DVDSubEdit. Now, SubtitleCreator can also change the IDX/SUB colors, but if VobSub Configure doesn't show the cyan one, I don't think SubtitleCreator will either. Once in DVDSubEdit, scroll around until you find a cyan sub and change it to white. Then Edit->Apply last modifications to all to all->File->Save All Modifications. Then back to SubtitleCreator to change the SUP back to IDX/SUB.

This is, admittedly, kind of a roundabout way to do what you want, but short of just removing those 2 lines in the IDX (did you try that?), I can't figure a way to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have figured out a way to change the cyan subtitles to white without having to download any programs. I experimented with some of the colour settings, and I have found out something.

This line in the .idx file:

I changed it to:
    palette: e83f07, e19120, f3c71b, ffffff, 9bd22a, 54a530, 12eb12, 15bef6, 0300e3, 4c0353, c12262, ffffff, b3b3b3, 808080, 4e4e4e, 000000

I got white subtitles after that. Its pretty weird that some .idx files with "f8ff18" in the fourth tier already display white subtitles in the corresponding video.

After opening the IDX in VOBSub Configure, check the "Custom Colors" box. If you see that cyan color, click on it and change it to white followed by "OK". If you don't see it, I'm not positive as I don't have a 2-color IDX with which to test, but I'd check the drop-down box at the top for something different.
    I did try that. I even changed it to red and other weird colours. I also fooled around with the transparency thing and scale. The videos still displayed cyan subtitles. As for Dvdsubedit, I felt that doing so would be a hassle, so I dropped the idea.

AlanHK, I did not know that .sup files can be converted back to .idx/.sub until manono said so, hence I was unwilling to take your suggestion. Sorry about that.

Thanks a lot for your rather detailed suggestions though. I would still keep them in mind in the future.
    Quote Quote