VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

When I record DVD-RW in VR mode with my LG DVD recorder, both of my computers can play the recorded video using PowerDVD, but the Windows XP does not "see" that DVD-RW.
    I have to use Isobuster and only then it shows the folder (DVD_RTAV) and VRO file.

Is there something I could do so that Windows Explorer recognizes those DVD-RW discs recorded in VR mode?
    Thank you.

PS. When I use video mode recording, everything is recognized in computers and I can transfer files to my hard drive as any other DVD video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You forgot to say what PC operating system you are using?
    This is important.

If it is windows XP? then make sure you have SP2, as in this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818733

I can read VR mode with my PC's so don't give up, I have XP Prof sp2 and Win 2003 sp1, but I also have the full nero 7 suite installed which might also make a difference.

HTH
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VR mode is just another name for UDF 2.00 format. Install something that supports UDF read/write such as packet writing software (Nero InCD, Roxio Drag-to-Disc, etc.) and it may help. My Pioneer drive can even read unfinalized VR mode discs, but my LiteOn drive needs to have them finalized.

The 2 programs I use to rip from VR mode discs are: Cyberlink PowerProducer and TMPGEnc DVD Author. Both of these have free trial versions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is crazy but you need to finalize the DVD-RW disk. XP will then read the disk. You can then go back to your LD DVD-recorder and unfinalize the DVD-RW. Before you do this check you recorder to make sure you have unfinalize. I use the Samsung DVD-R120 and I had the same problem. When you unfinalize the disk you make it read/write again.

Good luck;
    Raymond
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the replies, guys.
    It is much clearer now when I see that Microsoft has a hotfix for the issue.

ChainsawDude thanks for the link - very informative and useful.
    I use XP PRO with full SP1 and most hotfixes from SP2, but I do not have the full SP2.
    I do have Nero 7 suite, as well, although I do not have Nero InCD.

Maybe Nero InCD would be helpfull as piano632 suggests. I will try that tip.

web_maven I always finalize those DVD-RW discs, but that does not help - XP will not recognize it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The bigger question here is why are you using VR mode?

In general VR mode is bad ... it doesn't always use standard DVD resolution ... in short it should be avoided.

Use Video mode and not VR mode instead.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have no problems whatsoever with VR mode discs from my old Philips recorder...before or after SP2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    In general VR mode is bad ... it doesn't always use standard DVD resolution ... in short it should be avoided.
    Why does this "standard resolution" thing matter?

VR mode is much more flexible.
    I can record on set top, then edit the disc on the set top, then edit the disc on the PC, then watch on my recorder or on player or on my PC, as I wish. Complete flexibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VR is often not DVD Video mode compliant which means you can't make a compliant DVD Video after you rip it to the computer.

There is no reason to use it unless you must i.e., using DVD-RAM

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives,

Yes, you're right about VR mode, but I was curious why Windows XP does not see the folder while Power DVD does play it.

And yes, I noticed that in some settings it doesn't use standard DVD resolution. That was an unpleasant surprise when I wanted to edit and reauthor some of recorded videos.

Besides, that VR mode is default recording option on my LG recorder. Every time I initialize a DVD-RW I have to change that option to video mode. No big deal, but it would be nice to have both options opened.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives wrote:

VR is often not DVD Video mode compliant which means you can't make a compliant DVD Video after you rip it to the computer.
    The "is often" puzzles me. Does the unit generating the VR mode recording determine if the end result is DVD Video mode compliant? Is it hit or miss?

I've read various posts stating the "VR mode is bad" but I personally like using it due to the ability to edit right on the settop box (removing all the commercials). Eventually I would like to transfer the commercial-free episodes to a DVD-R disc and view them on any standard DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Web Maven,

I've got sort of the same problem..my computer (XP Pro, Service Pack 2) won't recognize any DVD+RW that has been recorded on my Lite-On LVW 1101HC1 DVD Recorder. Welll.. that's not exactly true.. it DOES see the DVD+RW..but it will NOT copy it beyond 2.2 gigs.

DVD Decrypter simply refuses to copy any more than 2.2 Gig. I've tried everything I can think of.. no deal. It doesn't copy beyond that limit.

Now; I've got a question. You've also suggested to the original poster that he should FINALISE his DVD-RW..THEN copy it.. THEN go back and UN-FINALISE the DVD-RW. Well.. yeah.. that MIGHT work in the LG DVD Recorders.. But will it work with the Lite-On LVW 1101HC1 DVD Recorders - that is.. with a DVD+RW ?

I think that probably ONCE a DVD+RW is FINALISED- that's IT.. it's permanently finalised.. I can't write over it.. Am I right ?

Any suggestions regarding how I can fix this 2.2 Gig limitation ?

I've just installed a copy of Nero InCD; as someone here on this thread recommended.. and I'm in the process of testing it now; just to see if DVD Decrypter will copy the ENTIRE DVD+RW.. instead of stopping at the 2.2 gig mark. I'll let'cha know if it worked..

But, until then..any other suggestions ?

Thanks ya'll for your help..

Ring-A-Ding-Ding ~!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Web Maven,

I've got sort of the same problem..my computer (XP Pro, Service Pack 2) won't recognize any DVD+RW that has been recorded on my Lite-On LVW 1101HC1 DVD Recorder. Welll.. that's not exactly true.. it DOES see the DVD+RW..but it will NOT copy it beyond 2.2 gigs.

DVD Decrypter simply refuses to copy any more than 2.2 Gig. I've tried everything I can think of.. no deal. It doesn't copy beyond that limit.

Now; I've got a question. You've also suggested to the original poster that he should FINALISE his DVD-RW..THEN copy it.. THEN go back and UN-FINALISE the DVD-RW. Well.. yeah.. that MIGHT work in the LG DVD Recorders.. But will it work with the Lite-On LVW 1101HC1 DVD Recorders - that is.. with a DVD+RW ?

I think that probably ONCE a DVD+RW is FINALISED- that's IT.. it's permanently finalised.. I can't write over it.. Am I right ?

Any suggestions regarding how I can fix this 2.2 Gig limitation ?

I've just installed a copy of Nero InCD; as someone here on this thread recommended.. and I'm in the process of testing it now; just to see if DVD Decrypter will copy the ENTIRE DVD+RW.. instead of stopping at the 2.2 gig mark. I'll let'cha know if it worked..

But, until then..any other suggestions ?

Thanks ya'll for your help..

Ring-A-Ding-Ding ~!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by divuer
    The "is often" puzzles me. Does the unit generating the VR mode recording determine if the end result is DVD Video mode compliant? Is it hit or miss?
    Yes, "is often" may be a clumsy term to describe the situation.
    But I've noticed the same thing, but only if recording is set to 4 hour (LP) in VR mode.
    If it is set to 2 hour (SP-standard play), then the resulting mpeg (vro file) is compliant with DVD standard and can be imported in DVD authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every DVD recorder is different but here is a page from the the manual of my Pioneer DVR-531H-s which illustrates the issue:

As you can see there are time settings where VR mode will use a non-standard DVD resolution. This doesn't happen when using Video mode.

My understanding is that VR mode works like this on all DVD recorders ... it is the time or recording modes (i.e., when the resolution changes) that differs but there will always be some time on all DVD recorders where VR mode does not use a standard DVD resolution.

On top of that VR mode is more difficult to work with on a computer than Video mode. This thread is just one of many that prove that point.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One of the last major updates to DVDShrink was the ability to accept and work with VR mode discs....though that may only have been VR from a + machine...not sure.
    Ulead Movie Factory 2SE has the ability to edit a +RW disc directly on the disc with nothing touching your HDD....and that program is pretty damn old.
    In my opinion....I think you guys are doing some thing wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, we are not doing anything wrong.
    It's a known issue with Windows XP. Check the Microsoft link above from the second post by ChainsawDude.

Anyhow, I have installed Nero InCD, as piano632 suggested and the problem is solved.
    Now Windows XP can read VR mode recorded DVD-RW discs.
    The folder DVD_RTAV pops right on screen.

Thank you guys for all your opinions - I enjoyed talking with you.
    Special thanks to piano632 for the tip which solved the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to Jeremiah58 and FulciLives for their explanation and chart about VR Mode recording. It clarifies things a bit.

In a somewhat related topic, how does FR time recording (ie. FR180) relate to standard recording times? In other words, if recording in VR Mode and the speed is set to FR120, is that the same as setting it to SP and therefore within the standard?
    Quote Quote  
  19. if by standard you mean the dvd-video standard, VR mode recording is not included in it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah58
    No, we are not doing anything wrong.
    It's a known issue with Windows XP. Check the Microsoft link above from the second post by ChainsawDude.

Anyhow, I have installed Nero InCD, as piano632 suggested and the problem is solved.
    Now Windows XP can read VR mode recorded DVD-RW discs.
    I have XP Pro.
    I have SP2.
    I do not have anything Nero on my computer.
    Indeed I admit (and have in the past) that it might be a -RW issue....but
    it is definately NOT a VR Mode issue in general.
    I've been using +RW VR Mode for many years....long before SP2...maybe
    even before SP1....no problems whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by hech54
    It probably is a VR mode issue.

What hech54 calls VR mode will be the DVD+VR Video application format which is the creation and responsibility of Philips Electronics and is used on dvd+rw discs. This post is about the DVD-VR application format released by the DVD Forum and is aimed at dvd-rw and dvd-ram.

You have to understand that DVD-VR differs significantly from DVD+VR.

DVD+VR closely resembles the DVD-Video format and, as such, does maintain a higher playback compatibility with most DVD devices and also MS Windows.
    However, DVD-VR differs significantly from the original DVD-Video format.

HTH to clear up any loose ends.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try udf reader;

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/us/InCD_4_Reader.html

I had issues with windows xp "seeing" VR files created on Pioneer recorder a couple of years back. This is no longer the case (sp2?). If this doesn't work try google for udf reader
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ChainsawDude
    Originally Posted by hech54
    It probably is a VR mode issue.

What hech54 calls VR mode will be the DVD+VR Video application format which is the creation and responsibility of Philips Electronics and is used on dvd+rw discs. This post is about the DVD-VR application format released by the DVD Forum and is aimed at dvd-rw and dvd-ram.

You have to understand that DVD-VR differs significantly from DVD+VR.

DVD+VR closely resembles the DVD-Video format and, as such, does maintain a higher playback compatibility with most DVD devices and also MS Windows.
    However, DVD-VR differs significantly from the original DVD-Video format.

HTH to clear up any loose ends.
    Exactly....it must be a -R VR Mode issue....not an issue with VR Mode in general.
    My posts were in response to this:
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

There is no reason to use it unless you must i.e., using DVD-RAM
    ...which is completely untrue.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Pioneer 510 DVD recorder only records 720X480 VR-mode up to its 2-hour-per-disc recording rate. After that it starts using a series of lower resolutions in order to keep the bit rate up. Some of these resolutions are not part of the video DVD spec. As a test I have burned a video DVD on my Mac using each of the Pioneer's different resolutions from the VR-mode disc using Toast (telling it to not do any re-encoding). All those transferred titles on the computer-authored DVD played on the Pioneer recorder and on my Mac. I suppose some of the resolutions could have problems with some players, though.

There are good reasons to use the VR mode in addition to its editing and playlist features. VR-mode discs serve like an extension of the recorder's HDD (20 discs are like adding an 80 GB HDD for about $50). I can high-speed copy titles from the VR-mode discs back to the HDD (which can't be done with video-mode discs) and the Pioneer keeps a directory of titles burned to each VR-mode disc. Also, the videos extracted from the VR-mode discs do not have the time code breaks that appear on Pioneer video-mode discs burned in real time.

I nearly always record in the 2-hour or shorter modes and typically use VR-mode when I want to transfer MPEGs recorded by the Pioneer to my Mac using either Toast 7 or PixeVRF Browser to read the discs. So far that has worked well for me.

What I do for over 2-hour videos is record to two VR-mode discs and join the extracted MPEGs on the computer. This year's Pioneer models maintain the 720x480 resolution for longer than 2-hour recordings which would save me some time if I had one of those.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anzimike
    Try udf reader;

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/us/InCD_4_Reader.html

I had issues with windows xp "seeing" VR files created on Pioneer recorder a couple of years back. This is no longer the case (sp2?). If this doesn't work try google for udf reader
    Yes, Anzimike is right.
    I've tried this Nero InCD reader on other machine and now the computer can read DVD-RTAV folder and .VRO file recorded in VR mode on DVD-RW.
    So, there is no need to install the full Nero InCD program, just this freeware udf reader will do.
    Thanks Anzimike.
    Quote Quote