VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, does anyone know how to adjust the pixel aspect ratio for virtualdub exports? I've looked in the default filters and cannot see anything which can do this, only the physical dimensions of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can change the display aspect ratio after converting with virtualdub with something like mpeg4modifier if you are making an avi with divx,xvid...but many software players ignores display aspect ratio in avi files.

If you are going to convert to dvd later change the aspect ratio when you are converting to dvd instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The final output is a DV avi which is why I want to alter the pixel aspect within virtualdub. Can this be done?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. But I think you can change to 16:9 with DV Date Time Changer, http://www.video2dv.com/index.php?lang=en&page=dvdtc after you converted to dv avi.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey people... i know this is an old thread but i got the same issue.. i need to export in dv with subtitles hardsubbed and this pixel aspect ratio mess with the result ( the subtitles get all squeeze in the final DVAVI file in 16:9 )

it's there an update on this subject?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, better to START a new thread than dredge up such an old one...

One way - load DV into Vdub, resize the video to a 16:9 DAR with 1:1 PAR (say, 853x480), apply subtitles, resize BACK to 720x480, export to DV using Cedocida DV codec w/ DAR setting of 16:9. Yes, your subtitles will TEMPORARILY look squished. However, they will play fine & correctly (with a good player). Yes, they will have to use FULL Re-encode instead of Direct stream copy, but you'd have to do that anyway if you applied subs...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    BTW, better to START a new thread than dredge up such an old one...

One way - load DV into Vdub, resize the video to a 16:9 DAR with 1:1 PAR (say, 853x480), apply subtitles, resize BACK to 720x480, export to DV using Cedocida DV codec w/ DAR setting of 16:9. Yes, your subtitles will TEMPORARILY look squished. However, they will play fine & correctly (with a good player). Yes, they will have to use FULL Re-encode instead of Direct stream copy, but you'd have to do that anyway if you applied subs...

Scott
    Wow, i can't belive it was soooo easy, it worked ok!!

Tnx Scott!
    Quote Quote