VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing from camcorder to dvd recorder, then editing with dvdShrink to computer. Some dvd's will rip ok, and have a normal VIDEO_TS folder, whilst others will not rip and have an additional VIDEO_RM folder as well as the VIDEO_TS. What gives ? Why do I sometimes get an additional VIDEO_RM folder when using same dvd-rw or dvd+rw discs, and sometimes not ? I searched the forum and many have the same problem, but have not seen any satisfactory answers. Why does this happen, and anything be done to recover the ones that have a VIDEO_RM folder ? or have I wasted a lot of time capturing them for nothing ?

2. Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.

Search Comp PM
    Thanks Rabid, it talks of a UDF format (what on earth is that ???), but still no explanation of why this stupid VIDEO_RM folder comes up sometimes, and not being able to rip on the computer when it does. For further clarification, the discs are DVD+RW formatted in video mode. I'm wasting a couple of hours each time then finding I can't open in dvdShrink. It can play in computer other dvd player etc though.

Search Comp PM
    Beginning to figure out that this a problem with DVD+RW discs and recorders. +RW seem to produce this -RM folder that makes the disc totally incompatible with editing on the computer, for whatever reason, whereas the -RW's do not produce this problem. Anyone agree ?

Search Comp PM
    Figured it out, so I'll pass on the info as so many have had this problem.

1. DO NOT USE DVD+RW in recorders if you have any intention of sticking it in the computer or dvdShrink to do any editing. They produce this VIDEO_RM along with the VIDEO_TS folder which is totally incompatible with editing programmes, even if you try to rip only the VIDEO_TS folder. Stick with DVD-RW as they produce only the VIDEO_TS folder.

2. If you've been unlucky to record to +RW and are stuck, download TMPGEne DVDAuthor and filter the VIDEO_TS folder only, which makes it dvd compliant and can rip as normal. I did, and worked perfectly.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I just get something clarified here? Are we talking only about recording DIRECTLY to a DVD+RW or dubbing from a DVD recorders' HD as well?

The reason I ask is that I use +RW's all the time to transfer to my PC and never a problem.....but I always record to the HD first and then dub to the +RW.

7. I believe the advice to avoid using DVD+RW to transfer video to a PC is bad advice

Some machines require you to finalise discs before importing to a PC (finalisation is usually done automaticaly with DVD+RW but some models do require a manual finalise stage and you did not say which model you have). This stage is sometimes called 'make compatible' in the set top's menus.

I would add that I have recorded directly to DVD+RW on both my Lite-On 5045 and Phillips DVDR without going via the HDD literally hundreds of times.
    The resulting discs have both the VIDEO_TS and VIDEO_RM folders.
    I then import to my PC, sometimes simply doing a file copy of the VIDEO_TS folder to PC Hard disk, sometimes using TDA to import and edit.
    The resulting import has always worked successfully.

I usually use dvd shrink only for copy protected DVDs but I tried it just now and it too was fine with my home produced DVD+RW.

I understand the VIDEO_RM folder is to do with menus the set top adds and can be ignored when importing.

8. You can import a video in VS9 from a disc. I do it all the time. I record stuff off tv onto a RW disc. Load into VS9 and edit commercials out and burn back to a DVD. So if your capturing from a camera I don’t see any difference. I do see both those folders when I load the video in vs9 but It doesn’t cause any problems. If it’s editing you want you should be able to do this in vs9. You can get your video off the disc and load into vs9 for editing.

9. I myself recorded +RW discs in my first DVD recorder and ripped them into the computer for editing and never had the problem you had, I'm thinking it may be something to do with your brand/model recorder.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ripley
    Can I just get something clarified here? Are we talking only about recording DIRECTLY to a DVD+RW or dubbing from a DVD recorders' HD as well?
    Yes, we are talking about the the DVD+RW making the initial recording from the recorder.

For all those "I record to +RW and edit with no problem", I really don't know what or how you are getting around it, but trust me, the problem is real. Just search "VIDEO_RM" in the recorders forum, or the web in general, and you will see dozens of people with exactly the same problem: "write to +RW on recorder, get VIDEO_RM folder, cannot edit in dvdShrink etc, not dvd compatable, tried copying only _TS folder still won't work, etc etc". Maybe it is certain brands that do it. My is a Sony 210.

Originally Posted by chainsawdude
    I understand the VIDEO_RM folder is to do with menus the set top adds and can be ignored when importing.
    If its to do with menus the set top adds, can you you explain why it does it only to DVD+RW's ?

11. The folder and files is for DVD VR. Read http://www.burnworld.com/dvd/primer/dvdvr.htm

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by singsing
    The folder and files is for DVD VR
    Fine, and VR mode is for easier editing ON THE RECORDER, not on anything else. So why should DVD+RW discs automatically record to VR mode (on some models ?), even if you format to Video mode ?

13. it talks of a UDF format (what on earth is that ???)
    Universal Disk Format,DVD-VIDEO uses v1.02.
    As for DVD+VR:it is closer to DVD-VIDEO format than DVD-VR but it's best to finalize a disc before importing to your PC.Use DVDDecrypter(File Mode),DVDFab Decrypter or IsoBuster to rip if you still have problems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

14. Originally Posted by cyflyer
    If its to do with menus the set top adds, can you you explain why it does it only to DVD+RW's ?
    Yep, think so.
    If you recognise that the file format is independant of the type of disc and a DVD+RW disc is always written to using the +VR format, while a DVD-RW disc can use the +VR format but almost always has a -VR or DVD-Video format.

The VIDEO_RM folder is a characteristic of the +VR format.

Search Comp PM
    Where do you folks come up with this stuff?

On a DVD+RW disc, the VIDEO_RM folder can be best comprehended as a temp folder for the recorder. You have no need to use it. Ignore it. At worst, it may cause troubles trying to ISO rip the disc.

DVD+VR is a subset of DVD-Video. Do not confuse DVD+VR with DVD-VR. DVD+VR is used on virtually all RW Alliance machines (DVD+R and DVD+RW discs), which does little more than allow MP2 audio and specifies CVBR bitrate type.

DVD-VR is non-DVD-Video, special use for editing, and can only be played back on similar recorders, and sometimes players that also support CVD/SVCD formats. The video can use bitrates and resolutions not supported on DVD-Video. The use of DVD-VR and DVD-RAM for video has been a silly notion from day 1, and should have never been implemented due to the confusion it causes and lack of playability in DVD-Video players.

For all intents and purposes DVD+VR discs are just another DVD-Video disc. You can rip the VIDEO_TS folder data in IFO mode to edit.

The creation of DVD+VR was to bridge a gap between "VIDEO MODE" (DVD-Video) and "VR MODE" (DVD-VR) found on DVD Forum recorders (DVD-R and DVD-RW media). However, this has largely failed because DVD+VR made discs have a tendency to corrupt themselves during the editing process (IFO damage).

To further confuse, it is true that DVD+VR can be used on DVD-RW and DVD-R media, and that DVD-VR and DVD-Video can be used on DVD+R and DVD+RW media, but it's not something that happens very often. Usually confined to "multi format" types of machines from LiteOn and Sony.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

16. VIDEO_RM and VIDEO+VR does work. I recorded a few segments of TV on a +R/W disc, and edit a part out from two segements, with DVD recorder in+VR mode.

The disc plays fine on the DVD recorder and stand alone player, but not Old version of powerDVD.

Most of the ripper focus on commerical DVD, they are not 100% of all DVD video format. But they are just folders and files, we always managed to make them bahave.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Where do you folks come up with this stuff?
    LOL !!!

On a DVD+RW disc, the VIDEO_RM folder can be best comprehended as a temp folder for the recorder. You have no need to use it. Ignore it. At worst, it may cause troubles trying to ISO rip the disc.

DVD+VR is a subset of DVD-Video. Do not confuse DVD+VR with DVD-VR. DVD+VR is used on virtually all RW Alliance machines (DVD+R and DVD+RW discs), which does little more than allow MP2 audio and specifies CVBR bitrate type.

DVD-VR is non-DVD-Video, special use for editing, and can only be played back on similar recorders, and sometimes players that also support CVD/SVCD formats. The video can use bitrates and resolutions not supported on DVD-Video. The use of DVD-VR and DVD-RAM for video has been a silly notion from day 1, and should have never been implemented due to the confusion it causes and lack of playability in DVD-Video players.

For all intents and purposes DVD+VR discs are just another DVD-Video disc. You can rip the VIDEO_TS folder data in IFO mode to edit.

The creation of DVD+VR was to bridge a gap between "VIDEO MODE" (DVD-Video) and "VR MODE" (DVD-VR) found on DVD Forum recorders (DVD-R and DVD-RW media). However, this has largely failed because DVD+VR made discs have a tendency to corrupt themselves during the editing process (IFO damage).

To further confuse, it is true that DVD+VR can be used on DVD-RW and DVD-R media, and that DVD-VR and DVD-Video can be used on DVD+R and DVD+RW media, but it's not something that happens very often. Usually confined to "multi format" types of machines from LiteOn and Sony.
    Its really a conspiracy to confuse everyone isn't it ?

Unfortunately though you cannot just ignore the VIDEO_RM folder. Ignoring it, deleting it, whatever, the remaining VIDEO-TS folder is " not complient" for whatever reason. So its still just simpler to say, it you intend to edit via the computer don't use the +RW's.

18. Have you tried FixVTS?Drop the VIDEO_TS.VOB file and select Full DVD.

Search Comp PM
    Additional folders do not void compliancy. I often add "BONUS" and "SOURCE" and "ROM" folders to discs. Additions are still to-spec.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyflyer
    Unfortunately though you cannot just ignore the VIDEO_RM folder. Ignoring it, deleting it, whatever, the remaining VIDEO-TS folder is " not complient" for whatever reason. So its still just simpler to say, it you intend to edit via the computer don't use the +RW's.
    I couldn't disagree more. If you have a choice, fine. I don't, and have adapted to fixvts and dvdshrink. Once it is processed by shrink, it is compliant. You can do anything you choose with it, after.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by otpw
    I couldn't disagree more. If you have a choice, fine. I don't, and have adapted to fixvts and dvdshrink. Once it is processed by shrink, it is compliant. You can do anything you choose with it, after.
    How can you not have a choice ? You simply use DVD-RW instead of DVD+RW. Its a lot easier than having to pass the files through another program each time. And, the whole idea is that you have to make it complient before Shrink can process it.

Search Comp PM
    For starters, you need to quit "editing" with DVD Shrink. That is a transcoder software. It's not for editing video. That is probably a large part of your problem. The software was designed to look for already-authored discs, not something from a DVD recorder.

Search Comp PM
    Its still a decent little program that so many have gotten used to. With its start frame-stop frame feature, you take the chunks of video to another compilation, which is exactly what I like. Whats wrong with that ?

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had mainly DVD+R(W) recorders, and have never had any of the problems mentioned.... then again, I never use DVD Shrink or TMPGEnc DVD Author directly on the discs (till now, always DVD+RW or +R - but my new dual format Magnavox (Funai) recorder records all -/+RW as DVD+VR.... I tend to rip each clip with DVD Decrypter, either to a single-file VOB, or if a widescreen movie that I want to convert to 16:9, then to separate M2V/AC3 streams. Only then will I edit each in TMPGEnc DVD Author; whatever might be the issue with +VR format (and all my discs have had VIDEO_RM folders, so I know this to be the case), I've never had one single problem with programs accepting the discs (only when the discs have been overused/scratched, but that's another matter).

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its still a decent little program that so many have gotten used to. With its start frame-stop frame feature, you take the chunks of video to another compilation, which is exactly what I like. Whats wrong with that ?
    Nothing, how you use it is your business, but you'll have to accept the fact it doesn't like VIDEO_RM. The author who wrote it figured people would be using it for backing up commercial DVDs, not 'editing' with software not designed for recorded video.

26. Originally Posted by cyflyer
    How can you not have a choice ? You simply use DVD-RW instead of DVD+RW. Its a lot easier than having to pass the files through another program each time. And, the whole idea is that you have to make it complient before Shrink can process it.
    No choice if it only burns + format discs.

It is only recently that dual format recorders have hit the mainstream. My first recorder was a + only and my Pioneer 531h a more or less current model is - only.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    No choice if it only burns + format discs.

It is only recently that dual format recorders have hit the mainstream. My first recorder was a + only and my Pioneer 531h a more or less current model is - only.
    Exactly! I'm trying to destroy an ILO dvdr04 through use and it is proving to be tougher than most people would believe.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!

Search Comp PM
    Ok ok, I didn't realise about the dual format thing being only recent, so I'll refrase something, " for those that have dual format, and have the choice, then its best to stick with DVD-RW". There.

29. Originally Posted by CanuckGod
    Nothing, how you use it is your business, but you'll have to accept the fact it doesn't like VIDEO_RM. The author who wrote it figured people would be using it for backing up commercial DVDs, not 'editing' with software not designed for recorded video.
    Here, here.

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have the exact same problem
    i have an alba 1001 dvd+r/w standalone recorder.
    i am transferring vhs to dvd+rw with hope at looking to edit on the pc.
    I have much experience of editing using tsunami dvd author pro and rejig and dvd decrypter.
    but i cannot find a solution to copying the video files to the pc.
    i have the same disc attributes
    VIDEO_RM
    VIDEO_TS

This is a very annoying problem - has anybody found a decent solution yet other than getting a capture card?

Thanks in advance guys!