VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sabbat34
    i have the exact same problem
    i have an alba 1001 dvd+r/w standalone recorder.
    i am transferring vhs to dvd+rw with hope at looking to edit on the pc.
    I have much experience of editing using tsunami dvd author pro and rejig and dvd decrypter.
    but i cannot find a solution to copying the video files to the pc.
    i have the same disc attributes
    VIDEO_RM
    VIDEO_TS

This is a very annoying problem - has anybody found a decent solution yet other than getting a capture card?

Thanks in advance guys!

Try fixvts then dvd shrink. The two will create compliant files, quickly.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the VIDEO_RM folder supposed to be good for?

The answer appears to be "it's a historical thing", pretty much the same as AUDIO_TS being unnecessary, except for the sake of reverse-compatibility with older/obsolete machines.

It's a feature with the Philips recorders (and maybe other machines that creates the VIDEO_RM folder).

Because they record, on the fly, changes in the Video Status signal (pin 8 in the SCART connector) must be known. This can then control video aspect (16:9 <-> 4:3) on a TV set when played back, but only when it is played on the recorder.
    (This feature is not possible following the DVD Video standard, so therefore it is an add-on.)

A simple test burning three (3) titles to a DVD-RW disc showed this structure using PgcEdit
    (During loading in PgcEdit, the BOVs kept running through the VOB_01_x , as in circle (?)
    - I had to finally abort the BOV function.)

8 titles are listed - the 3 titles are listed twice and 2 dummy titles (title 4+8).
    The only difference between Title 1 and Title 5 is in the pre-commands:
    Title 1: 2 Set gprm(4) = (mov) 1
    Title 5: 2 Set gprm(4) = (mov) 129

(i.e. adding 128 to the value stored in register 4)
    (The 3 titles are small TV recordings burned on my Philips DVDR3450H recorder.)

DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 (the latest version) is strictly applying to the DVD format standard and will therefor have problems parsing the DVD structure - at best showing only the last title (and list it twice - here in this test title 3). Title 1 is identical to Title 5, Title 2 is identical to Title 6,
    Title 3 is identical to Title 7 and Title 4 is identical to Title 8 - but the titles 5,6,7,8 are all empty.
    Is this the reason why DVDShrink fails ?

Using FixVTS and/or using IfoEdits "VOB Extras / Create new IFOs" on the VTS_01_0.ifo appears to solve the problem, and it will do this in-place (changing the actual files without creating any backups). It worked on my above test DVD disc - The main menu was split into two parts and only moving the cursor below the button gave me access to an otherwise hidden button, which in turn gave me the possibility to move down one page and there I found the original menu.

Title 2 was the "Main Movie", and title 1 and 3 was "Extras" - Th dummy title 4 was the first second of title 1 (maybe this is the title used to change the mode, i.e from 16:9<->4:3).
    The TV should be able to change mode during 1 sec.

The older version DVDShrink 2.3, will read the recorded dvd's without any problems I read somewhere, but I haven't tested thoroughly.

regards
    Pol

3. Originally Posted by politiken
    The older version DVDShrink 2.3, will read the recorded dvd's without any problems it seems.
    Thank you for confirming that!

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The short version from another forum (I got curious so I looked it up and by the way - does NOBODY think of doing a search via Google or Yahoo? It was really easy to find this.):

VIDEO_RM is a folder used by certain DVD recorders. In theory, it is supposed to be ignored by other DVD players. The problem is that the discs produced by recorders that use this don't really conform to DVD standards and THAT is the real problem here. The other forum didn't specify what the deviation was. The problem is NOT the VIDEO_RM directory, but that recorders that create it do some other stuff that's not nice.

Here's the solution:
    > > Others may have an easier route, but you you could use DVD Decrypter in File
    > > mode, and with the resulting VOBs re-author back to DVD Video to remove all
    > > the bad file formatting introduced by the set-top recorder.

> Thanks, Philip! I fixed the VOBs with IfoEdit and that seems to have
    > cleared up the problem.

If you rip the DVD in file mode, it will drop the VIDEO_RM directory and hopefully fix whatever is wrong with the DVD. Sounds like a good argument to me against buying Philips and LiteOn recorders.

Search Comp PM
    Ahh sabbat sabbat sabbat,.......... did you not read the previous posts ? Use a dvd-rw instead of a +rw and you will find the problem will go away. Its simple. Try it and tell us the result.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    If you rip the DVD in file mode, it will drop the VIDEO_RM directory and hopefully fix whatever is wrong with the DVD. Sounds like a good argument to me against buying Philips and LiteOn recorders.
    It appear to me you missed what it is all about. It has nothing to do with the folder being present or the fact that some applications cannot parse the IFOs/VOBs - It is actually quite a smart move, using the VIDEO_RM folder - because

a) it takes practically no space on the disc
    b) the disc will play in all DVD players without any problems
    c) it will make sure that the recordings will play correctly (i.e. as recorded) when played back on the recorder itself - which is precisely what you would expect and want

Remember that the output comes from a recorder connected to your TV signal.
    You want to see what you have recorded, as if you were watching live on your TV set.

If you record a TV News show, part of the show could be in 16:9 and other parts in 4:3. Your TV set will adjust itself (given the correct commands within the signal) and swith mode (back and forth) so you will see everything in the correct aspect ratio, and you will not take any notice.

But your recorder is placed before your TV set and cannot change mode while recording, because the DVD format only allowes titles in 16:9 or titles in 4:3, and the recorder saves, on the fly, in the DVD format. Only when shifting PGCs you can change the mode - but this cannot be done seamlessly.

Alas, you will have the best of worlds - except when you want to edit the recording, not using the recorder itself, but using a PC author application like DVD Shrink instead.

The DVD format goes back to 1978 if I remember correctly - and the world has moved on.
    DVDShrink is now "Nero Digital / Nero Recode" and using this applications "Make /Edit Video-VR" (or what ever) will work without any problems - with or without the presence of the VIDEO_RM folder or whether the disc type is -R/+R/-RW/+RW

Its all about switching back and forth between 16:9 and 4:3 (during an ongoing recording session).

An interesting question is: will a DVD with VIDEO_RM folder, play as recorded on any recorder or player that make use of the VIDEO_RM folder ?
    If so, we should definitely keep the folder on the disc.

regards Pol

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all:

I just recently bought a LiteOn DD-A100GX. Here's what I discovered. I will be returning it. My intent was to convert my old 8mm Sony Handycam cassettes to DVD. I don't have a DV camcorder, just my old Sony Hi8 with no RF output. This thread was the only thing that prevented dropped frames. This above solution worked to remove the VIDEO_RM but lost many seconds and so was not a good solution to me. Besides that, what's up with the "Data error (CRC)" when just DOS copying the files after having captured via the RCA inputs. "Finalizing" isn't required per the manual on a DVD+RW rewritable disk. I DID have the ghosting issue mentioned in the above URL if I used the Antenna Passthrough RF port on the back so I didn't use it. I followed the "Connect Cable Converter/Satellite Receiver" diagram that came with the instructions and did not have any "ghosting" issues. NOw, I don't get a "Data error (CRC)" error on DOS copying when captured via the RF plug. I haven't tried the DVD-RW approach, but the solution might be not to use the RCA ports if you can. So I might buy a single DVD-RW can keep reusing that to move to the PC for further editing if needed and to use up all of my RVD+R disks. Nah, I am taking this puppy back to the store. "Made in China" hmm??? I wonder where the software was made. I agree with BeardedKirklander ... the software interface was cool.

Regards,
    Matthew

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Lite-on DD-A100X several months ago - now I wish I had returned it since it had the same incompatability problems mentioned throughout this post. I'm actually thinking about buying another DVD recorder and selling this one!

I went through the painful 'coaster' production cycle trying to get DVD's that would play in my other DVD players without any success. I posted on several forums to try and get an answer to this problem without any success.

Having now read this post I'll try DVD-RW (about the only option I haven't tried yet!!!) and failing this FixVTS, IFO EDit and/or DVD Decrypter. - hopefully this will solve my problems.

My No.1 rule from now on.....don't buy LITE-ON!

9. Wow ..
    Here's what I discovered. I will be returning it
    So you built a time machine, went forward, saw yourself returning the machine an then travelled back in time to write about it, all without breaking the laws of the time paradox
    AFAIK the video-rm folder can be ignored in dvd editing software (TDA), and the discs are able to be read in some but not all dvd drives (my reader will, my writer wont, and both are NEC)

Burglars ! time to get the red suits and white beards out!
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.

Search Comp PM
    What program do you suggest using to covert those TS files to AVI or something similar, so that I can upload the videos to Google Video?

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read everything I could regarding the VIDEO_RM folder. When the DVD had a VIDEO_RM folder, it couldn't be imported / played with:

Windows Media Player
    Windows Media Center
    ULEAD VideoStudio 9

Eventually, I discovered that if I recorded with a DVD+R disc, it recored a VIDEO_RM folder. If I record with a DVD-R disc, it doesn't record a VIDEO_RM folder. And, this DVD-R disc imports / plays just fine with:

Windows Media Player
    Windows Media Center
    ULEAD VideoStudio 9 (and 11)

Being able to import into ULEAD VideoStudio was my original objective. Why I ever used DVD+R discs I don't know. Make sure your recorder is capable of recording to DVD-R, and if so, try that.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DLambert
    I read everything I could regarding the VIDEO_RM folder. When the DVD had a VIDEO_RM folder, it couldn't be imported / played with:

Windows Media Player
    Windows Media Center
    ULEAD VideoStudio 9

Eventually, I discovered that if I recorded with a DVD+R disc, it recored a VIDEO_RM folder. If I record with a DVD-R disc, it doesn't record a VIDEO_RM folder. And, this DVD-R disc imports / plays just fine with:

Windows Media Player
    Windows Media Center
    ULEAD VideoStudio 9 (and 11)

Being able to import into ULEAD VideoStudio was my original objective. Why I ever used DVD+R discs I don't know. Make sure your recorder is capable of recording to DVD-R, and if so, try that.
    You are 100% correct. I just found out this today.

13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I too have been having this problem. My DVD Shrink keeps giving me an error when I try to read the disc.
    I was able to copy the VIDEO_TS folder. But then DVD Shrink still has issue with the files. Also, if I change the VOB extension to MPG and import to Premiere, when I try to edit the audio goes out of sync. This doesn't happen with normal DVD's. Driving me nuts.

Search PM
    Complete idiot.

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What did you say about your mother?

Search PM
    Even my mother isn't stupid enough to dip up 5 year old threads.

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If any previous posters or visitors (who are not the above punk named heck54) have found a solution to this problem that truly works, please let me know. I've searched all over the net and tried all the above programs and procedures (plus a few others), but nothing's worked.

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, not to be or sound redundant, but are you a short bus passenger ?

This many year old thread is about
    Why VIDEO_RM folder
    , not about
    Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I was able to copy the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Or about
    Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Also, if I change the VOB extension to MPG
    changing a VOB to MPG by changing the extension/name of the file.....

A VIDEO_RAM folder is NOT the same, nor does it contain the same format or info as a VIDEO_TS folder......

Maybe you should make a new post or read some of the links on every page of this site, like "WHAT IS" or the "GLOSSARY"

19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pharos-please do not dig up old threads and hijack them,make a new thread.This thread is closed
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.