VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Purchased this recorder at Wal-Mart in Calgary, Alberta (Canada) for $119 Canadian (roughly $100 US) Seems very new, doesn't even show on Magnavox's site.

Supports recording on DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W) both.
    Outputs: S-Video, Composite, Component
    Input: Antenna, front and back composite, front and back S-Video

Did a few tests at different lengths (record supports 1/2/2.5/3/4/6 hour modes), quality seems a lot nicer than my previous Classic DVR1000. Can't compare to other dual recorders, but I like what I see so far, as far as lower-end priced models go. Anyone else purchase this recorder? Your thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Upon further review on one of my recorded DVDs, it appears the recorder is manufactured by Funai. Still not sure what Funai model this Magnavox corresponds to, or if it's a new model manufactured for Magnavox by Funai. I'll provide more information as it becomes available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this informative thread out:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=660474
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, MikDee. Actually did come across that thread in a Google search... not the same model, but sounds similar in specs. I'm finding it quite handy, loading and erasing is quicker than my previous Classic recorder, and surprised by the image quality, given what I paid for it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't find any info on this...

When you say this is a "Dual" recorder, are you saying it is:
    Dual Tray
    Dual Format [+r(w) and -r(w)']
    or Double layer capable????

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dual format in this case means it can record to DVD-R/-RW, or DVD+R/+RW. I also like the fact that it has 2.5, & 3hr, record modes, no double layer recording needed here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one!

Do you know how to make it "all region"? It's suppose to be but it is not!

Thanks

Jehan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by CanuckGod
    Purchased this recorder at Wal-Mart in Calgary, Alberta (Canada) for $119 Canadian (roughly $100 US) Seems very new, doesn't even show on Magnavox's site.

Did a few tests at different lengths (record supports 1/2/2.5/3/4/6 hour modes), quality seems a lot nicer than my previous Classic DVR1000. Can't compare to other dual recorders, but I like what I see so far, as far as lower-end priced models go. Anyone else purchase this recorder? Your thoughts?
    I bought this same model (Magnavox / Funai CMWR10D6) a couple of weeks ago. I needed to record my old VCR tapes of travel movies I made ten years ago. A few observations:

1. The image quality seems pretty good, although I'm admittedly not asking for much -- just the transfer of my analog tapes, not much quality to lose.

2. The manual is awful. Badly laid out, just a jumble of very poorly cross-referenced information, with topics split up.

3. Machine is not intuitive to use at all. I had to plunge into the manual (ugh). Example: before you watch the recorded DVDs on any other machine, they have to be "finalized", but the machine doesn't prompt for this. When I found out about this from the manual, I had to find the commands, which are hidden in the Edit menu, which is itself very ugly and hard to figure out. Good news is that you can set it to "auto-finalize" after recording.

4. Price was cheap (Canadian $87), main reason I got it.

5. One problem: I tried to make a backup DVD copy of one of my store-bought 10-year old VCR movie tapes, and got an error message ("Not allowed to be copied") and a blank DVD. Since I'm just trying to make a backup of my own tape before the tape decays beyond useability, there is nothing illegal about it, so I'm currently looking for a workaround. Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I wonder if that model uses the fairly inexpensive value line Magnum MX chipsets - Be careful with FUNAI, and keep your fingers crossed that this recorder lassts a long time because those tend to go bad very fast.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by video_jack
    Originally Posted by CanuckGod

I bought this same model (Magnavox / Funai CMWR10D6) a couple of weeks ago. I needed to record my old VCR tapes of travel movies I made ten years ago. A few observations:

1. The image quality seems pretty good, although I'm admittedly not asking for much -- just the transfer of my analog tapes, not much quality to lose.

2. The manual is awful. Badly laid out, just a jumble of very poorly cross-referenced information, with topics split up.

3. Machine is not intuitive to use at all. I had to plunge into the manual (ugh). Example: before you watch the recorded DVDs on any other machine, they have to be "finalized", but the machine doesn't prompt for this. When I found out about this from the manual, I had to find the commands, which are hidden in the Edit menu, which is itself very ugly and hard to figure out. Good news is that you can set it to "auto-finalize" after recording.

4. Price was cheap (Canadian $87), main reason I got it.

5. One problem: I tried to make a backup DVD copy of one of my store-bought 10-year old VCR movie tapes, and got an error message ("Not allowed to be copied") and a blank DVD. Since I'm just trying to make a backup of my own tape before the tape decays beyond useability, there is nothing illegal about it, so I'm currently looking for a workaround. Anyone?
    There is no workaround as far as I know, the tape and vcr have macrovision (my lG LRH-780 calls this "Strange Signals" lol) and the recorder will not record anything with that stuff on it.

btw you think that menu is ugly? You havent used the LRH-780's, they are very functional but very FUGLY in terms of colorscheme.

As to your comment on the manual, it seems like its a jumbled mess but that is mostly due to the diagrams... I found it easy to figure out.

Originally Posted by highvolumeJP
    I wonder if that model uses the fairly inexpensive value line Magnum MX chipsets - Be careful with FUNAI, and keep your fingers crossed that this recorder lassts a long time because those tend to go bad very fast.
    Please explain more on this, what is this chipset?
    Quote Quote