VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey to all

I just upgraded my capture hardware from the Leadtek Winfast TVTUNER EXPERT to an AIW 9800 Pro. I just finished installing MMC 9.13. I attempted to follow the setup guides as outlined on lordsmurf's site, but it appears there is no VideoSoap with this version, or maybe I missed something when I installed everything. Am I right to think that there is no VideoSoap on the new MMC? What other programs can I use to capture with (like virtualdub) or is MMC the best option with my new setup? I have lots of VHS tapes I am anxious to start capturing.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use ATI MMC 9.02.
    They killed VideoSoap on the newest versions, from what I've heard. I quit updating with v9.02
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    9.02 is the way to go. That version is one of the most stable for what I do..Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, you won't get videosoap on AMD.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. to lordsmurf-------------- where can I get MMC 9.02? All the links I have tried go directly to ATI and the new version that I have, or they want me to pay for it. Anyone have a copy of it on their machine still that I can download?

to neomaine---------- VideoSoap doesn't work on AMD machines? Can anyone else confirm this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This lonk may work
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894
    if not go to support.ati.com pick drivers and software then in left fram Windows XP/ All in Wonder/ Previous versions/ then the last link on the third page "RADEON Previous Windows XP Drivers and Software versions prior to CATALYST 5.1 / Multimedia Center 9.03" Then scroll down to find 9.02

edit download link only worked in internet explorer for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the Version I am on the Videosoap works with no issues on my AMD, Specs in my Profile
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine
    Sorry, you won't get videosoap on AMD.
    I've never heard of this. ATI MMC 8.7 is fine on my AMD, works with VideoSoap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just noticed something while checking out some of the helpful links I received. I noticed that some of the features don't get installed unless one has a CD copy to do the original installation for the MMC. I got my card from someone off eBay, and it came with no cables, adapters or software. I picked up a VGA to DVI adapter at a local store and ordered the input block from ATI earlier this week, and ordered the CD yesterday. For what I saved buying it off eBay and what I have spent ordering parts to actually use it, I think I may have been better off getting the retail box from BestBuy! Ah well, you live, you learn (hopefully)

Cheers and thanks to all for whatever help they have offered.

lordsmurf, love the site and am sure I will be hitting it LOTS soon.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK. New issues to deal with.

I got my OEM install CD from ATI with all the drivers and MMC 8.5. I installed everything with the Express option. I get an error at the end of the DAO part, something about internal failure and what looks like a memory address (0x80040703) It does,however, continue with the install when I click OK. My problem is, I don't seem to be getting any sound. I checked that nothing is muted and have all the volumes turned up. The strangest part is that I DID have sound when I originally installed 9.13, I just didn't have the DVD Decoder part.

I am using the onboard sound from my mobo, am awaiting a Audigy to arrive anyday. Not sure if this will help me out at all, I think perhaps not because the sound was working before.

I tried to install a newer DAO that I downloaded from ATI (the one for 9.13) and it installed OK, but still no sound.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just my Two cents...

I have been having some problems with My ATI AIW 9600 Pro recently and have been talking to ATI over the phone in great lengths. one of the things that was broughtup in our discussions was that the new MMC has some issues... a big one for me was that the PVR is always on and can't be turned off.

Further, I found that with the new MMC (9.13) that it was really buggy with my card (i.e. would not schedule or record shows, would not show station names, and kept jumping into mono in the audio). As soon as I downloaded an older copy of MMC everything worked just perfect... even my Gemstar tv guide.

I agree with the other guys, the older version of MMC is the way to go.

If you are still having issues, I would call the ATi help line... The guys are pretty helpful if you can get past waiting 45 mins... I found that if you call around 4:00 to 5:30 it was a little quicker.
    Quote Quote  
  12. saggatarius: Something you might want to try when it concerns the audio is the following.

1. Right click on your speaker icon that is somewher close to the date on the bottom of your screen.
    2. Select "Open Volume Control"
    3. Click on "Option" and select "Properties"
    4. Select "Recording" and press "OK"
    5. Make sure the box under "Line In" has a check in it, and make sure that the volume slider is up to the half way mark, maybe a tad higher.

I find I have to check this periodically, because occasionally it seems to get reset. Maybe, just maybe this will help with the audio problem.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found that no version of MMC would work with the on-board sound (nVidia) on my Abit NF7-Sv2. I recommend uninstalling ALL of the ATI drivers, then install your new soundblaster card and drivers, then install the ATI stuff - pay particular attention to what gets installed first, and use MMC 9.02.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everyone....Thanks for all the tips. I have many things to consider now before going thru a complete re/re of my OS which is what I was actually getting ready to do.

Questions..

I did have sound when I first started out, but this may have been due to the fact I still had my Leadtek card installed as well and may have been actually drawing from that somehow. Is this possible? Anyone have any thoughts as to the internal failure message I was getting?

I just checked my system event viewer, it seems that I am getting service errors involving both my Leadtek WDM stuff and the ATI stuff not starting. I thought I uninstalled all my Leadtek stuff, so I am confused as to why I am getting these errors. Perhaps there is some conflict here with the older (Leadtek) stuff and the ATI stuff and I will need to reinstall everything.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the audio out from the ATI connector on the card plugged into the audio in on the back of your PC (audio card)?
    On the new ATI cards, I believe you can connect the audio on the card to your motherboard but you need special connectors.
    Also follow Tom's instructions to make sure the audio in is turned on and up.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have good news to report!!!

I opened my case and realized I forgot to unplug the audio cable that once connected the Leadtek card's audio to the motherboard (looks like one of the audio cables cd roms use)
    I unplugged it and when I booted into Windows the errors I was getting involving the Winfast WDM crossbar etc. services not being able to start, were no longer there! Also got rid of the ATI errors that were similar. I had also thought I would try plugging the audio cable from the ATI card into the microphone input port, just to try it and now I have sound! I am going to try it in the AUX input next time I reboot. Don't want to wreck a good thing while I still have it.

Dumb me for not thinking that the cable still being plugged into my board would have been the cause of so much headache.

Thanks all for your help in this matter. I would still probably be working on it otherwise!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for calling on the table for my videosoap and AMD issue. Though I was correct, I should have looked it up again. You can find the specifics here.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

ATI Multimedia Center - Video Soap is not available on AMD64 platforms

This issue affects the following system configurations:
    ATI Multimedia Center 8.x
    AMD64 Platform

On AMD64 platforms, the option to Edit VideoSoap in the ATI Multimedia Center will be grayed out.

To correct this issue, download and install Multimedia Center 9.0 or higher.

Thanks again for making me verify!

(Though, I capture from satellite so my source is already pretty clean. Only really used vs for VHS captures.)
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had also thought I would try plugging the audio cable from the ATI card into the microphone input port, just to try it and now I have sound! I am going to try it in the AUX input next time I reboot. Don't want to wreck a good thing while I still have it.
    You'll probably want to pick up a Y adaptor to connect to the audio in. Just incase you want to hook up another device like a tapedeck.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATI Multimedia Center 9.06.1, and ATI Multimedia Center 9.08 both have VideoSoap. And if you want to turn off the PVR option in ATI Multimedia Center 9.13, Go to your "Start" menu click on "Run", in the dialogue box type "regedit" and click OK, then navigate the dropdown menu to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> ATI Technologies -> Multimedia -> Features -> DTV -> Channel Manager and Set "LiveMode" = 1. Be sure to use the same corresponding drivers with MCC, ATI MMC 9.13 DAO MDAC, ATI MMC 9.13 Encoder, and ATI Catalyst 6.3 Display Driver And Catalyst Control Center or you will have alot of problems. It took me 8+hrs of tinkering with drivers and settings to figure this out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good Reading ... guys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had some problems too, when I got the ATI AIW 9800 Pro at first. What does a great deal for me and solved a lot of problems (e.g. slow boot, faulty shutdown) was installing the OMEGA Driver (http://www.omegadrivers.net/) (6.3) AND afterwards the ATI WDM-drivers, that are always downloadable seperately on their site.

It runs smoothly with my system (Windows XP SP2, Intel Pentium IV, 1.8 GHz, Seagate Motherboard). ATI MMC 9.08 without glitches (has got Video Soap but I don't use it).

On the OMEGA site it says 'for Radeon only' or something similar, but in the forum (www.driverheaven.net) hosting it, I found the hint for this set-up, numerous very satisfied users of the AIW 9800 Pro (including me now).

Be careful to completely remove ATI drivers first (eventually use Driver Cleaner Pro), than install the OMEGA (as some of you know, they are MODIFIED original Catalysts!) I use the default settings, THEN the WDM drivers and the MMC as last step, reboot when prompted.
    Quote Quote