VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It has finally been done! You can now convert your ILO DVDR04 into a LiteOn 5005x with a simple firmware crossflash! Read more about it in these two forums:

This thread is the latest news about the firmware crossflash:

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158&sid=f44411d004ba90584c22d241ad3c49a2

This forum is primarily based around the ILO brand and this thread has the entire history of how the firmware crossflash came to be!

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2081

You can crossflash at will between models. Having a 5005x will allow you to create Audio CD's, VCD's and SVCD's as well as write to both "dash" and "plus" disk formats!

D'oh!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually visit guitarmans site, he has the files ready to burn.
    www.ncc2315.com/ilo
    Follow the instructions to the letter! And as always firmware changes are risky.
    Edit If you have a modded unit with a different dvd burner, your mileage will vary.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Quote
    Edit If you have a modded unit with a different dvd burner, your mileage will vary.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have units, modified with non original DVD Burners
    NO Problems

What is ment by mileage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I played with 5005x firmware in my ILO, but I have an LG burner in it at the moment. It will not burn CDs or DVD-r's with that firmware and drive combination. As an ILO its just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [ otpw1 ]

OK see what you mean
    There have been efforts and comments on other sites as to this crossflash
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1868.

I believe that the drives replaced and have no function issues were all Liteon brand drives. Most that have replaced with other manufacture drives even those made by Liteon have had problems with recognition or functions not working
    This is the first time that I have run across reports that indicate no operation with – Disks using the 5005x to R04 cross-flash and is something to note
    I have used the LiteOn 1693s drive and it works fine with + or – disks. Others used 1633, 1635,1673 etc. I know no one that has used the new 160 series drives as a replacement

IF the LG works OK in the R04 – It might be that the drive will not recognize a – disk.
    The original 451 or 851 drives used in the ilo would recognize a – disk. It was the R04 firmware that blocked it, but was allowed in the 5005x
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 1693 I had in there quit w/o warning. I didn't get a chance to try it as a 5005x. The LG 4163b in there now was just a backup burner that is well tested in my computer. If you attempt to burn a cd in the "5005x" it seems to, then the drive light goes off. The panel on the recorder claims to be recording.
    When I get my 1693 back I will try again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [ optw1 ]

When you had the 1693 installed did the drive work with commercial disks
    If so what did you do to arrive at this

As said so far I have had no problems burning or playing a disk on another recorder, with the 1693s

While I dont use the R04 for playing. It will not play a comercial disk with the 1693s I the ilo either as a 5005x or ilo. I'm stubbern enough to want to know why. I think it might the drive speed and or the smart-burn.

The 1693 had the latest stock firmware [KSOA]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now we're into threadjack territory!
    I guess I shouldn't have said it worked "fine", because I noticed that it wouldn't play encrypted discs and quit trying. I use mine as a glorified capture device mainly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for reply
    Same Here for use

As to the orig. thread
    The conversion works very good
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried to convert a Liteon 5001 to an R04 or to a 5005x? I got tired of the limitations to my Akai DVDRW120 and used my Daytek P-30 upgrade disc (which works just fine in the Akai weirdly enough) to change it to a Liteon 5001 and then used the hacked 1176 firmware to get rid of the limitations. My next project is to try to find the right combination of files to change the 5001 to a 5005x. Wish me luck....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced a 5005 burner with LiteOn SHM-165P6S, and it records all DVD media fine but no VCD/SVCD recording and has freeze on fast forward while playing DVDs. In a CDFreaks thread a poster reported the Sony DRU-120C did not have the freeze on fast forward and lacked only VCD/SVCD recording to be a fully functional replacement. To my knowledge this Sony is the only drive that's relatively easy to find and is the closest to fully functional drive replacement of post 1693 LiteOn models.

Check http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=125341&highlight=flash+5001
    to find 5001 to 5005 is quite possible. Also check http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124298&highlight=flash+5001
    for more info and links to tools and firmware as well as post #89 where a user did exactly that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, so far no one has been able to go from a 5001 to a 5005x. Only the ILO R04 to 5005x works....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post #89 from last link in my 5/6 post states that poster did achieve it. Also it states 5001 to 5005 is possible as well as 5002 to 5006 possible according to post #2 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=125341&highlight=flash+5001+5005.
    It's either possible, or some folks are not being truthful.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is additional info from that site:

"Kain at Techolio managed to crossflash an Ilo04 to a LiteOn 5005x --->

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpB...&highlight=5001

Unfortunenately the "Checksum adjustment method" he uses does not work on 5001/5005:

Firmware LNEA1180.DS1 for 5001 for example needs an adjustment value of $30.

Firmware LNFA2080.ES5 for 5005 uses an offset of $50.

So I took LFNFA2080.ES5, changed the checksum for an offset of $30, and renamed the file to LNEA2080.DS1. But:

5001 still does not accept the Firmware-Disc: "data disc" in normal Mode and "eject" in Boot mode.....

Dunno why... "

So, as of this point, not possible. If this is incorrect, please show me where it says it can be done. The other post said it "could" be done....but no one had done it at that point....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post #89 from that other site refers to making his 5001 region/macro free and having 3 hour mode, not making it into a 5005(x):

"I updated to the latest 1180 on my 5001 . The applied your hack and burned it and upgraded again. Results? Region/macro/free, plus 3 hr. Thanks for a good working program.
    Jim"
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    Here is additional info from that site:

"Kain at Techolio managed to crossflash an Ilo04 to a LiteOn 5005x --->

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpB...&highlight=5001

Unfortunenately the "Checksum adjustment method" he uses does not work on 5001/5005:

Firmware LNEA1180.DS1 for 5001 for example needs an adjustment value of $30.

Firmware LNFA2080.ES5 for 5005 uses an offset of $50.

So I took LFNFA2080.ES5, changed the checksum for an offset of $30, and renamed the file to LNEA2080.DS1. But:

5001 still does not accept the Firmware-Disc: "data disc" in normal Mode and "eject" in Boot mode.....

Dunno why... "

So, as of this point, not possible. If this is incorrect, please show me where it says it can be done. The other post said it "could" be done....but no one had done it at that point....
    No. Any of the units that have the same motherboards can be universally crossflashed to the others. This includes crossflashing a 5001 to a 5006 and vice-versa. There is no 098 firmware for the 5005X so crossflashing a DVDR04 into a 5005X gains you Allwrite capability, but you lose the MV hacking ability. I have a scrap 5005, so I crossflashed my DVDR04 into a 5006 (with the 098 firmware) and just use my 5005's remote to control it. It now does Allwrite as well as no MV. Some of the earlier 5001/5005's had a different motherboard (the coax connectors were in a vertical layout, the new ones are horizontal). These cannot be safely crossflashed.

Cheers - Kain
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Likewise cross flashing 5002 to 5006 is possible according to the first link in my 5/6 post, and oldfart13 is correct that I misinterpretted post #89 in the second link of my 5/6 post. Critical to any successful flash is that first 2 sets of 4 digits of serial number must match first 2 sets of 4 digits in firmware whether it be hacking 5005/5006 or cross flash to 5005/5006. I've seen quite a few CDFreaks threads on initial failures to flash which succeeded when this criteria was finally met.
    Quote Quote