VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Sony seems to have really pulled a boner move this time ......

Pretty well every review and comparison on the BEST HDTV picture display you could buy (never mind it was a 220lb pig) was always won by the Sony KD34XBR960.

This puppy had everything too: 3 firewire inputs, memory stick; HDMI; ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners, DRC, cable card, and the best tube Sony has ever made: the Super Fine Pitch Trinitron.

Check out the newest XBR though. (KD34XBR970) Looks the same, but that can be deceiving. This TV is branded as an XBR but is nothing more then lasts years non-XBR (KV34HS420) with an ATSC tuner in it! Talk about disappointing. This new "XBR" does not have firewire, no cable card, no memory stick input, one less RCA input, but this biggest let down is the lack of the Super Fine Pitch Trinitron. This once great TV has been reduced to just another widescreen HDTV.

So if you are looking for a great 34-inch tub TV, the new XBR is not it. Find the old one. I suspect you can get the old model at a great discount from retailers who don't know squat about what they are selling ...

(note) get it delivered though ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RIP and I wish I had one.

Makes a perfect computer room HDTV monitor. (poor man's BVM)

This site says it all

Discount Price = $1196

Shipping $ 259
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dont forget the recommended "alu-proy" titanium stand $3200
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Dont forget the recommended "alu-proy" titanium stand $3200
    If that pig is really 220 lbs as BJ_M says, then it does need some serious support. My 50-inch DLP only weighs 68 lbs. with the full complement of inputs. While I don't deny the superiority of CRT displays today (give the other technologies 50 years to perfect themselves), I would have a hard time accepting that bulk for only 35 inches of screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it really is 220lbs , without the stand

some of the larger (9" crt) rear screen projection units were also in this weight range and so were some video projectors
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote