VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been off the field for a while now. So i don't know what's going on today.

I don't even know if there's new firmwares that allow that.

Anyway, I have a pioneer DVR-104.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No,your P 104 can't write DL.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Pioneer DVR-104 does not support 8.5gb. The DVR-108 and newer do support it, though.

You'd need a DVD writer that specifically supports burning 8.5gb 'dual layer' or 'double layer' media. I believe 'double layer' is what the DVD+R camp calls it, and 'dual layer' is what the DVD-R camp calls it.

Just about all recent DVD writers support this feature - it's pretty standard these days.

W
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (This is a question I'm not sure about either)...

Maybe the OP means: Can SL writers be updated to AT LEAST write the 1st Layer of a DL disc, as if it were just a SL disc? (Knowing full well that it can't write both layers), or does it COMPLETELY not recognize the disc?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hmmm... I've never heard of a drive that doesn't support DL being able to burn DL as a single layer disc. I think for that to happen the firmware of the drive would have to be programmed to recognize the media codes of the dual-layer discs... and I'm not sure if that's been done before.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts on this.
    ~W~
    Quote Quote  
  6. When DL burners first came out Pioneer was rumored to be showing DL burners at CES made from stock SL burner with firmware mod. Interest died out pretty quick after DL drive prices plunged and drive speeds went up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    (This is a question I'm not sure about either)...

Maybe the OP means: Can SL writers be updated to AT LEAST write the 1st Layer of a DL disc, as if it were just a SL disc? (Knowing full well that it can't write both layers), or does it COMPLETELY not recognize the disc?

Scott
    I am quite sure that was not the question of the OP. Why would someone spend extra $$$ to buy a DL media and only want to burn to the first layer only. It makes no sense at all.

The question was can SL drives burn to DL media. Short answer is No. Not even with a firmware upgrade. Its to do with the physical hardware capability to burn to DL.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    ...The question was can SL drives burn to DL media. Short answer is No. Not even with a firmware upgrade. Its to do with the physical hardware capability to burn to DL.
    Sorry to disagree (sort of, see below), but LiteOn 812S drives (SL) can be flashed with the 832S firmware to give them DL support! Did both my internal/external drives without a hitch (not that I ever tried burning a DL disk with either of them tho...)

You ARE right about the hardware support required, it was just that the 812 model was released with the firmware support disabled until they "ironed out the bugs" in the 832S model

Trevor
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can SL only burners recognize DL discs?

An interesting question which I asked myself many many months ago. After several tests with SL NEC, Lite-On, and Samsung drives I was able to determine each drive could not recognize the blank dual layer disc. It was as if no disc was inserted into the drive. I can't say that 100% of all drives will be like that but I can say 100% of the test drives I tried could not recognize blank DL media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, that's what I thought, specifically re:media codes, but it's nice to hear experimental confirmation.

AFA why ever do that? Let's say it's midnight and you're working on a project for a client. You've just used up all you SL discs during testing, but still have some DL discs. The stores aren't open until ~10am and the deadline for dropping off the disc is 8am. You don't care if it's DL, you just care that it gets burned correctly. If it worked it would have be a saviour. (This is just a wild hypothetical, hasn't happened to me. Nor should it.)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that's what I thought, specifically re:media codes, but it's nice to hear experimental confirmation.

AFA why ever do that? Let's say it's midnight and you're working on a project for a client. You've just used up all you SL discs during testing, but still have some DL discs. The stores aren't open until ~10am and the deadline for dropping off the disc is 8am. You don't care if it's DL, you just care that it gets burned correctly. If it worked it would have be a saviour. (This is just a wild hypothetical, hasn't happened to me. Nor should it.)

Scott
    At least in my neck of the woods, Safeway is open 24 hours AND sells blank media...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, why would you use all your SL blanks, ever heard of RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    I couldn't believe someone with a SL drive would purchase DL media in the first place, as it serves no purpose. It would be a waste of money. DL media cannot be burned on SL drives. DL burning requires hardware capability.

Its the same as saying "Can a CD Burner burn DVDs".
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that question has been asked before many, many, many times!
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I couldn't believe someone with a SL drive would purchase DL media in the first place, as it serves no purpose. It would be a waste of money. DL media cannot be burned on SL drives. DL burning requires hardware capability.

That's why the "wild hypothetical".
    Nevermind. I know in my case, I've got a DL burner (and that would be the only reason I would have DL discs), so of course I would use those discs in that drive as opposed to the SL burner.

re:RW usage...There are a number of my clients whose players don't work well (or maybe not at all) with RW discs, yet they're fine with R discs. Considering their corporate clout, I'm not about to tell them that THEY are the wrong ones (even though they are). So I use R's for compatibility. Yeah, I've got RW's, but I rarely use them.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by waheed

Keep in mind that some people may not know the difference between a cd and a dvd. This is not a crime as some may put it. They just do not care enough to know. Most people do not care how a car works, as long as it gets them where they need to go.

It is our job to respectfully tell the masses what they need to know.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Like a said, I've been off the field for a while.

But, at some point, is not a crazy tought. I mean, i just wondered why my DVD writer wouldn't be able to write an 8.5 disc, if it could read it. Isn't it using the same system for reading?

Movies are not in DVD+R, so i tought the type of discs used for movies were available for writing. :P
    Quote Quote  
  18. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8861

Never heard what became of this. I had an A06 (retail 106D) and would liked to have tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Have you found any information on firmwares, for older models like the 104 ?
    Quote Quote