VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a large (1,5 gb) MPEG-2 video file. I have seen a recording of the same material with a size of about 350 MB (AVI). However, the converters I have found makes this MPEG-2 file even larger. How can I decrease the size of my video file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By using a lower bitrate. Given the same running length, only bitrate is the factor determining file size.
    Try to convert it to AVI with avi.net. There, you can select output file size (and thereby implicitly bit rate).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can use virtualdubmod or virtualdubmpeg2 and convert to xvid/divx or whatever. Then you can choose the bitrate. Also use a videobitrate calculator. There are several available in the tools section https://www.videohelp.com/tools Also the divx encoder has a built in calculator for you to choose a bitrate (I'm not sure about xvid as I use divx most of the time for web uploads - or occasionally wmv).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all,

Is there also a tool for making a DVD with this smaller sized video so that you can view it on a TV?

Regards,
    Joachim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want it that small and viewable on a DVD player, buy a DVD player that playback Divx/Xvid files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joape382
    Is there also a tool for making a DVD with this smaller sized video
    No. DVD video is mpeg-2 (or 1), so if you want a regular DVD, there's nothing gained in going mpeg-2 to AVI to mpeg-2.
    You could reencode the original mpeg-2 to mpeg-2 at a lower bitrate, and perhaps even reduce the frame size to allow for this lower bitrate.
    There's no lowes allowed bitrate for DVD, but generally, VCD quality/bitrate is considered the lowest you should go. That means 1150 kbps, around 7 hours of video on a DVD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote