VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone educate me here. I have this option in Pinnacle Studio 9 in the make disc section. Will either do a better job quality-wise? I am looking for the best quality. Constant bitrate or varible bitrate
    We have a lot of toys now, but they're just toys. Where will our soul go when it departs....
    Quote Quote  
  2. It comes down to playing time, quality required, type of material and a host of other factors.

If your required playing time is short enough to encode at a highish bitrate with CBR then you might as well use CBR. If your playing time is over 75 mins or so, then using a VBR type encode will generally give you a higher quality final product than a lowr bitrate CBR because it will allocate higher bitrate where required such as high motion scenes.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bugster
    If your playing time is over 75 mins or so, then using a VBR type encode will generally give you a higher quality final product than a lowr bitrate CBR because it will allocate higher bitrate where required such as high motion scenes.
    You mean "than the same bitrate CBR"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by bugster
    If your playing time is over 75 mins or so, then using a VBR type encode will generally give you a higher quality final product than a lowr bitrate CBR because it will allocate higher bitrate where required such as high motion scenes.
    You mean "than the same bitrate CBR"
    Not really what I meant. If the playing time is longer, you have to use a lower bitrate for CBR than you would for a shorter playing time. With VBR you use a lower average bitrate, thats true, but the encoder allocates higher bitrates where most needed, thus the final quality is generally better.

As an example, CBR 5000Kb/s Vs VBR average bitrate 5000Kb/s, max 9000kb/s. The VBR will usually be better quality.

But CBR 8000kb/s Vs VBR average 8000kb/s, max 9000kb/s, you will probably not notice the difference.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Bugster, that's much clearer.
    Quote Quote