VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to capture video from my IPTV box that has Composite, S-video and Component output, since there is no consumer cards that would capture through component so I think S-video is the next best thing.
    I have a MSI Theater 550 card for capture, and also a Sony DV camcorder with A/V passthrough that can also be used for capturing video through Firewire to DV format.
    So I'd like to know should I use the Theater 550 card and capture the video through high quality S-video cable or use the Sony camcorder as a passthrough with S-video cable and transfer the video to computer thru Firewire into DV format and later convert the DV to mpeg2 using either CCE or Tmpgenc.
    Which route should I take to gaurentee best result. I would want my final Mpeg2 files to be 352x480 with about 2.6mb/s bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fossil
    I want to capture video from my IPTV box that has Composite, S-video and Component output, since there is no consumer cards that would capture through component so I think S-video is the next best thing.
    I have a MSI Theater 550 card for capture, and also a Sony DV camcorder with A/V passthrough that can also be used for capturing video through Firewire to DV format.
    So I'd like to know should I use the Theater 550 card and capture the video through high quality S-video cable or use the Sony camcorder as a passthrough with S-video cable and transfer the video to computer thru Firewire into DV format and later convert the DV to mpeg2 using either CCE or Tmpgenc.
    Which route should I take to gaurentee best result. I would want my final Mpeg2 files to be 352x480 with about 2.6mb/s bitrate.
    Try both ways to see which you like and for what purpose. Some observations:

- Camcorder pass through should produce very good to excellent editable results. Downside is 13.5 GB/hr capture files and the need to MPeg2 encode in a second pass.

- The Theater 550 card can be used in various ways. It will realtime encode to DVD MPeg2 at 720x480/576 but not 352 so far as I know. Realtime capture gets you a quick result that can be directly authored. You could always reprocess to 352 in a second pass.

I use the camcorder or DV transcoder for important captures and the 550 and AIW for PVR utility captures.
    Quote Quote