VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Comcast Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412 and i'm trying to pull the data off it to my PC via Firewire. I've connected it to my PC and it has recognised a Tuner, AV panel, and one other unknown device, however, my computer was unable to locate drivers for such. (my system is a Dell 3.2 P4 HT processor, with 1024mb RAM, and a GeForce 6800 GT video card, running Windows XP Media Center). Is there a way to transer the the content across digitally so that i can edit out advertisements and store the content? If anyone has experience and could help me out with this i would greatly appreciate it. I've spoken to Comcast, and they do recognize that it is possible to do this, however, i was unable to get an explanation of how this is done. I visited the Motorola website and found no information or drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise i'm hookin my s-video to VCR and creating a new Tape collection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    S-Video will get you there.

As for the IEEE-1394 port, don't expect this to be easy or even very usefull for what you want. MPeg2_TS streams are available for local channels only. Cable content is encrypted in most local areas.

Start here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read these instructions - pretty well documented.

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/motorola6412_firewire.zip

EdDV speaketh truth, however. You'll be SOL on the encrypted stations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not looking to record live streams, and, avoid having to do a real-time capture, that would be more effort than just hookin up the VCR, the shows i'm trying to record are black and white (Maverick w/ James Garner and Jack Kelly) so, pristine quality isnt a great issue, what i'm looking for is efficiency, if there is some way i can access the files on the DVR, and pull them to my PC as a file, then convert and burn, that would be my preference. However, the channel is from American Life TV, not local, but comcast has not given any indication that encryption is a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xeviance
    I'm not looking to record live streams, and, avoid having to do a real-time capture, that would be more effort than just hookin up the VCR, the shows i'm trying to record are black and white (Maverick w/ James Garner and Jack Kelly) so, pristine quality isnt a great issue, what i'm looking for is efficiency, if there is some way i can access the files on the DVR, and pull them to my PC as a file, then convert and burn, that would be my preference. However, the channel is from American Life TV, not local, but comcast has not given any indication that encryption is a problem.
    Would be nice wouldn't it.
    Encryption is on the IEEE-1394 port. For now you have to dub over S-video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    First, It's not encryption, it is 5c flag "Copy never"

Second, you don't get HD video over S-video output.

Third, works great for me with 3412 box with Comcast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MozartMan
    Originally Posted by edDV
    First, It's not encryption, it is 5c flag "Copy never"

Second, you don't get HD video over S-video output.

Third, works great for me with 3412 box with Comcast.
    True
    True
    Mileage varies locally.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want real-time recording, then I got bad news for you. You still havee to record while you are playing the file.

The 5c flag is not limited to the digital channels. I had no problem transfering recordings to my pc but just a month and a half ago, Comcast here started flagging channels. Now I can't record any adult swim or CNN programs. I can still record OTA HD (except FOX) and the INHD channels.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  9. So is there now way to add an external harddrive to the 6412 unit rented from comcast? There is the firewire port plus the usb port. I have found that the 120g hdd is just too small. I was hoping to add a second harddrive to help out is all.
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Conquest10
    If you don't want real-time recording, then I got bad news for you. You still havee to record while you are playing the file.

The 5c flag is not limited to the digital channels. I had no problem transfering recordings to my pc but just a month and a half ago, Comcast here started flagging channels. Now I can't record any adult swim or CNN programs. I can still record OTA HD (except FOX) and the INHD channels.
    Here InHD is 5c blocked as well, only locals are recordable. FCC rule (4/05) said cable companies can't block locals but the local TV station can.

Stop the broadcast flag!

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/
    http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/?f=broadcastflag.html

Write your Congress critter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tsantsa
    So is there now way to add an external harddrive to the 6412 unit rented from comcast? There is the firewire port plus the usb port. I have found that the 120g hdd is just too small. I was hoping to add a second harddrive to help out is all.
    Nope. You can move material over SD S-Video to a DVD recorder or computer capture card. OTA HD can be captured over IEEE-1394.
    Quote Quote  
  12. bah. oh well

thanks.
    Boy do I love my avatar!
    Quote Quote  
  13. The only way I think you can try is using a DVD recorder to connect to the Comcast DVR output. After you record the show onto a DVD, you can rip the vid and edit it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tsantsa
    So is there now way to add an external harddrive to the 6412 unit rented from comcast? There is the firewire port plus the usb port. I have found that the 120g hdd is just too small. I was hoping to add a second harddrive to help out is all.
    The Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR boxes have a SATA port that works for external SATA drive expansion. The file data is encrypted to that particular STB so you can't switch drives to another box or extract the video from a computer.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried the method described below using the tools and drivers at replayguide.sourceforge.net and am able to capture the video but not the audio. At least there is no audio when I play the captured file. This occurs only when I am trying to capture a recorded program off of the DVR. When I record a show live everything works fine.

Also, when I start the record using the tool the screen freezes on the TV.

Does any one have any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dshield
    I have tried the method described below using the tools and drivers at replayguide.sourceforge.net and am able to capture the video but not the audio. At least there is no audio when I play the captured file. This occurs only when I am trying to capture a recorded program off of the DVR. When I record a show live everything works fine.

Also, when I start the record using the tool the screen freezes on the TV.

Does any one have any thoughts?
    My only thought is when you play the DVR file, the audio is on the RCA ports and maybe on the S/PDIF as well.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I have a few non-premium channel programs on my comcast DVR box that I'd like to retain (daughter's birthday announcement on the local news, etc). The box is over 3 years old and in desperate need of an upgrade. I don't want to upgrade because comcast insists that they cannot copy anything over to the new box.

I am computer savvy, and can clearly see a Seagate 120GB hard drive through the air vents. After reading this thread, I gather that I cannot simply connect a male to male USB cable into the box and copy directly - so...

If i can get the box open without harming anything, would there be any problem with connecting the Seagate 120GB (via ribbonwire) to my pc as a slave drive, and directly copying files that way? I don't really care about encryption, as I should be able to reverse this and copy back to the new box when I get it. Though, a viewable digital copy would be ideal.

Seems i would need a special socket head. Has anyone successfully attempted this (or know where to obtain this tool)? Is it a good/bad idea to try?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marcomarco View Post
    If i can get the box open without harming anything, would there be any problem with connecting the Seagate 120GB (via ribbonwire) to my pc as a slave drive, and directly copying files that way? I don't really care about encryption, as I should be able to reverse this and copy back to the new box when I get it. Though, a viewable digital copy would be ideal.
    I don't think that would be possible - the drive isn't formatted in a way that can be read/seen by a PC as far as I know.

Go back up and read posts #2 and #3 - you should be able to get the content off the DVR to the PC following that info (I've done it a few times, most recently with "live" TV). I know of no way to return the content to the new DVR, but at least you'll have it saved.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Jim, but i wonder about that. A file is a file... even if its hidden from windows, there are many ways to access an MFT. My only concern would be if it can plug-n-play

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-26280-Master-Torx-Socket/dp/B0002NYBVO

Torx Sockets will do the trick on the screws. Any automotive store should carry them.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Marcomarco - look at this thread:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/easiest-way-to-copy-file-from-comcast-dvr-t365905.html

Better question than are you computer savvy - are you LINUX/UNIX savvy? Gonna have BIG problems if the answer to that is "no" and you want to hook up the disk to your PC. And you'll still have to deal with encrypted media on the disk too. Comcast uses a Linux disk partition. The link I provided has a post by Cornucopia (one of our stronger technical members here) that tells basically how to play the video and capture it in real-time to a PC. Not really what you wanted, but it looks like a case of it being all you can do with the box.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marcomarco View Post
    Thanks Jim, but i wonder about that. A file is a file... even if its hidden from windows, there are many ways to access an MFT.
    Honestly, if it were possible, someone would have posted/written about it. If not here, for sure at AVSForum or elsewhere.

[Edit: Thanks jman98 for the link - and indirectly to Cornucopia for the research]
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, linux/unix savvy - but thanks for that thread. I might save some headaches and do just the capture.
    Quote Quote