VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently in preparations for an edit of a very large scale. We shot on multiple formats (MiniDV, Sony HDV, DVCProHD, Digital 8, 16mm, Super 8) and I will be using Final Cut Pro 5, an XServe RAID with XSan Software. Because our A camera is the DVCProHD format, all the other formats will have to be properly upconverted to fit the same HD frame size. Our Varicam was set to shoot 720p24, so a 1280x720 frame is the size the other footage will need to conform to. So far, the solution that I am heading towards is to use MiniDV as my SD standard. Transfer any non MiniDV format to MiniDV, then use a deck with SDI out into a Kona3 capture card. From what I figure, the Kona3 will upconvert SD to HD using SDI.
    My issue is this: I have pretty much broke the bank on my budget for post and can't really take any chances at this point. If I go ahead on this plan of action, will I get the results I'm looking for? (the results being the ability to edit all the footage in FCP without having to scale SD format frames to fit within the HD sequence). I have tried nesting etc with no real result, so this is my new but expensive solution. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, no one ever replied, but I have since learned many ways to do this. What we did for this project was to purchase a DVCPro adapter for miniDV tapes. Rented a AJ1200A deck, ran it into the system via HDSDI, and captured it in the same DVCProHD codec.

Another way to achieve this would be with Red Giant's Instant HD software.

Final Cut Pro 6 can now also upres when you put lower resolution footage in a timeline with higher resolution footage.

Hope I can help someone who is having this problem, as no one seemed to have any answers for me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, no one ever replied
    It was a complicated question.
    Go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave. Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I am in similar shoes as you.
    No budget, multiple formats.....
    postproduction stage.

60% of my footage is 1080i HDV mini dv (aspect ratio 16x9)
    the rest is:

the other 40% is SD & aspect ratio 4x3:

digital 8: 5%
    16mm FILM: 5%
    SD mini dv: 30%

After reading your posted..... I guess the best way to go is Final Cut latest version. To avoid renting decks and dvcpro to minidv adapters.

NOW, the question is:
    Image quality wise, what's the best way to go

720 HD
    should be my standard ?
    To save as much quality as possible
    either in my 1080i HDV footage &
    my 480i footage ??
    and 480p

Or should I keep
    1080i hdv as it it
    and convert everything else to it?

How much would I loose in quality in my SD footage? There is any web video LINK I can look at to get an idea?
    Now what about my 16mm footage? WOULD I SOFTEN THE IMAGE AND LOOSE RESOLUTION if UPCONVERTING IT TO HD ?

Or my best bet is to DoWNCONVERT my 1080i footage to SD ????????
    to keep resolution even, and SAFE ??

Any help or suggestion is appreciate it, THANKS IN ADVANCE
    Quote Quote