VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am not looking to do any major editing on a MKV file, but I need to shrink this one by about 5% in size. Any idea how I can compress it while leaving it in its original MKV format?

Actually for that matter, how about shrinking or compressing a OGM file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'd need to demultiplex the streams, reencode the video, and then multiplex them back together again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok I am hoping there is someone wiser out there that can think of a suggestion for this situation. I now have these 25 MKV files sitting on my hard drive for months. I am 50 MB short of fitting them all onto a single DVD+R. I have tried compression programs such as WinRAR and WinZIP, but I desparately need a way to shave just 50 MB off so I can burn them onto a single DVD.

This is something that has always bothered me. On the blank DVDs they usually say "4.7 GB", but the fact is nobody can fit even 4.5 GB into it. The true number is more like 4.37 GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no other way. You have to re-encode either a video or audio stream to use less space. If you go down the video route, you can get more savings quickly. If you go down the audio route, you will have to re-encode more files to save the same space.

The 4.7 vs 4.38 is a well worn arguement. It comes down to HDD and media manufacturers using 1000 instead 1024 as their base measure. It makes the capacity seem larger than it truely is. Nothing you can do about it.

You do have other options, inclusing using two discs, or looking at DL layer discs. Not sure how they go for data storage though.

A final idea, but not recommended, is to search for overburn to see if anyone is overburning DVDs successfully. This might get you the extra space needed, but it may also make the files unreadable in some devices.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In theory, couldn't unwanted audio streams (if they're present) be removed to lower the MKV's size?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could also remove credits. With mkv it should be possible to have only one copy of the intro/outro, but have it play for all files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So which tool should I use to re-encode and/or edit a MKV file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. depending on what type of video, virtualdubmod may be able to handle it.......if it's a certain type of h.264 video though, then you may stuble into some problems.......
    Quote Quote  
  9. I managed to successfully convert one of the MKV file to AVI using MENCODER, in the process reducing the file size substantially, but there was no subtitles in the output AVI file. I am not sure what command line prompts I should use to enable subtitles. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Demux the subs with mkvextract.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So now with 3 tracks, video, audio, subtitles, which program should I use to put the subtitles back into the video?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For avi. I wouldn't; external subs are more compatibile.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am somewhat confused. My initial problem was to reduce the size of perhaps 1 or 2 of MKV files so I may fit them. I managed to reduce size of one file by converting it to AVI format, but it lacks subtitles. So I am not entirely clear on your suggestion. I just leave the 3 tracks the way they are?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well you would have an avi and a subtitle file. As I said for avi, that is the most compatible, although depending on the subtitle format, you can mux it.
    Quote Quote