VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Haupaugge PVR-250 in my PC hooked up to analog cable. I recorded a 1 hour television show in a custom format as I usually do (4000-5000 vbr 352X480 48khz 384 audio bit rate) which gives me a very nice 2 gig file. I then normally burn straight to DVD using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 SE (no cutting of commercials).

One thing I noticed last night which has happened before is that when viewing the show, the picture is great, the dialogue is great, but any background music is way too loud! It is the weirdest thing...it is like the orchestra performing the music for the scary sound bites or dramatic chase scenes is in the room and honestly you cannot hear anyone speaking on the show. Turn the volume on the TV up to hear the dialogue and any portions where there is background music drowns out the dialogue completely.

It was my understanding that when captured the audio is the audio and not separate tracks of dialogue and background music but I could be wrong. I have seen the problem with these cards when ALL of the volume is too high but never when just a part of it has. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to try and burn to DVD with another software prgram in the event this is a potential issue....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I experience something similar when listening to Dolby 5.1 or DTS on a stereo setup of mine. Dialog is muffled compared to music. Probably not related, but thought I'd throw that out there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have ATI AIW .. the sound goes through sound card yours must be the same .. it is possible it goes through some sort of equilizer. Check your sound settings. It sounds like auto volume control. Make sure your sound cable is connected to "input " not "mic" on sound card.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INFRATOM
    I have ATI AIW .. the sound goes through sound card yours must be the same .. it is possible it goes through some sort of equilizer. Check your sound settings. It sounds like auto volume control. Make sure your sound cable is connected to "input " not "mic" on sound card.
    Well on the PVR-250 there is no external connection/pass through to the sound card for coaxial cable...it is all done internally. The only case is if unless you are capturing from an external device and in those instances the device connects to the Hauppage card and not the sound card so this can't be the issue (?)

I just tried playing the DVD on a player hooked up to a mono TV and it is not as noticeable but it is still there.

Anyone have any thoughts on my audio presets for capture? I honestly left them as they were when I created the custom capture mpeg settings in WinTV2000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update:

I recorded another show from a different TV station with all of the same settings.....now no noise differences? Could it solely be that program or perhaps that channel? I only have analog cable so no hifi, hidef, or hi-anything....
    Quote Quote