VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi, asking question again
    i used InterVideo WinDVR 5 to capture a show on TV
    when the show ended, i click Stop button to save my video file, in the drop-down box, i only saw 2 formats allowed, they are *.mpg and *.mpeg
    but when i saved it, i only saw the name i created for my file without the extension, so i decided to add the extension manually by changing its name.

When i tried to open that file in VirtualDub (i want to convert it to avi format), i got this:
    MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 Stream.
    I then tried to go back and change the format of it to *.mpeg and got the same error

What does that error mean and what do i have to do to be able to open it in VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get your grubby paws on VirtualdubMOD. It will open mpg2 files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And if you are not aware of it, unless you have unchecked, 'Hide extensions for known file types' in Folder Options, you are not seeing the extension and can't change or modify it that way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i chose to use VirtualMod,when i'm done with the setting, i click File-->Save as and then naming the file xxx, in the dropdown box below, i saw it allowed me to save the file as *avi format, how come when i finish encording, the file doesn't have any extension at all?
    i'm asking this because i wanted to cut out commercials from my video by SMMVSplitter but when i click Trim, nothing's moving
    am i missing something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing to do, is go to (Windows) Explorer. Check in the Folder Options, and see if "Hide extensions for known file types" has a checkmark next to it under the view tab, as redwudz mentioned. That may be what is keeping the .avi/.mpeg/etc. extensions from appearing.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote