VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. On the last few DVDs I tried backing up my DVD Shrink 3.2 I kept getting an error "Invalid DVD Navigation Structure." Does anyone know why this may be? Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run in through VOBblanker, then use DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most likely culprit is one (or more) of the newer copy protection schemes giving a screwed up rip that DvdShrink is choking on. If that's the case, you can use the "PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit" to get a dvd compliant rip.

The PSL2 Plugin now has a package available (for free) at the official forum (here) in the "PSL2 Plugin Installer" forum. Once the package is installed, the PSL2 Plugin will help you to easily rip and repair dvd's infested with the latest copy protection systems (so DvdShrink can process the files without problems).

If that doesn't solve your problem, there is a list of other possible causes here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. try running the video through dvd fab decrypter first then run the raw files through shrink and see if that works...make sure to update fab decrypter every time you try and back up a newer disc as it updates within a few hours after a new copy protection comes out...within a day or two at tops.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to my Google search results dvd fab decrypter is by a company in Finland that not longer makes it due to a Finish law which outlawed it which I'm sure probably means updates are stopped too. The dvd fab decrypter may work for now if one can get latest updates, but DVDShrink pligin may be better long term solution if it works. I'm going to give it a try anyway since I encountered same error as in original post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    According to my Google search results dvd fab decrypter is by a company in Finland that not longer makes it due to a Finish law which outlawed it which I'm sure probably means updates are stopped too.
    Strange. Since the most recent update was Jan 30th I thought must have been a recent change to Finnish law. But my search of google only showed that AfterDawn is in Finland and they can no longer host DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow links auto-inserted in posts?

If it helps otherwise, have seen DVDs where the main title jumps to separate titles rather then using angles, which confused both shrink & recode. Had to either use other ripping software to isolate title, or shrink to re-author.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here's something even easier and it's free. Get DVD43, install same, follow directions and use DVDShrink. Avoids current copy protection with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I suggested the "PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit" is that a while ago, DvdShrink bombed out on me when I fed it a rip done with the latest (at the time) version of DvdFab Decrypter. While I was waiting for a new release of DvdFab Decrypter, I tried the "PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit", and the dvd rip it produced worked fine in DvdShrink. I haven't had any ripping problems since switching to the Plugin.

Shortly thereafter, I read two posts by r0lZ (here and here) where he explains that using the "PSL2 Plugin for PgcEdit" is the "...only way to rip an ARccOS protected DVD and finally have fully compliant files on your hard disc...".

Since r0lZ arguably knows more about these things than anyone else here, I figure it's a good idea to heed his advice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's great news! I was unaware DVDFab was no longer hosted by that company in Finland. After reading some positive posts on the DVDFab link, I decided to give both DVDFab and DVDShrink plugin a try. One can probably never have too many tools. The DVDShrink plugin link shows several download links. Do I need all or just the latest version?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    According to my Google search results dvd fab decrypter[ is by a company in Finland that not longer makes it due to a Finish law which outlawed it which I'm sure probably means updates are stopped too. .
    Incorrect. The AD site was seriously compromised by that law, in terms of what items they could host or link to, but they were just one of several sites (like this one) that referenced it. Fab Decrypter -- from what I've read -- is from an outfit in China. Like Russia and a number of other countries, they are not known for being bound by intellectual property agreements, so I think any s/w coming from there should be around for quite some time. Later versions are reported here on a regular basis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nelson133
    Here's something even easier and it's free. Get DVD43, install same, follow directions and use DVDShrink. Avoids current copy protection with no problems.

DVD43 is good for at least 90% of DVDs, but new Sony and some new Disney have extra stuff that DVD43 can't understand.

When DVD43 can't handle something I rip with DVD Fab Decrypter. After ripping it, I run it through VobBlanker. Then I shrink it with DVDShrink.

Using those three always works.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Run in through VOBblanker, then use DVD Shrink.
    Hello everybody,

I am a newbie, but I believe that in the above lead discussion there is a subtle understanding, that the initially mentioned problem of DVD Shrink 3.2.

"Invalid DVD Navigation Structure"

occurs while using an already ripped file!
    (that's why I quoted waheed's post as an example of what I mean)

My problem is, that the same error message occurs with an inserted DVD using DVD shrink, so I tried to rip it - BUT I can not even rip the DVD in the first place!

Here is what I tried:
    1. DVD Fab Decrypter "recognizes" the DVD correctly, but is de facto only displaying and ripping trailer videos - even in full disc mode.
    2. DVD decrypter encounters - while in File Mode - an I/O error. When trying to rip to ISO mode it encounters the following: "Warning "The number of VOB IDs stored in the VTS_C_ADT table of VTS" "Don't match the real number of VOB IDs in the table" (other errors that - I believe - name the sectors more specifically occur later on and of of ourse, after starting the process there are read errors over and over)
    3. Using DVD43 did do anyhting with DVD shrink (I undertand it should not be run with another real decrypter at the same time)

sooooo... the question is: How to rip the DVD in the first place?????

Thanx a lot for support...

P.S.: After reading this thread for the first time, I installed pcgedit - but that left me behind without a clue... all I believe to have understood was that pcgedit only works with an ALREADY ripped file, right? so, that brings me back to my initial question: how to rip it in the first place? - - thanx again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. From time to time, a movie will be released that (excluding workarounds) cannot be ripped correctly. Often, it's a Sony/Columbia release.

Sometimes you can correct a rip yourself with, for instance, FixVTS. Sometimes IFO mode in DVDDecrypter will work by deselecting the first cell. Or a problematic rip from Fab can be used with an old version of DVDShrink (2.3), selecting the VTS_01_0. IFO rather than the VIDEO_TS.IFO, cutting out junk with Start/End Frames, requiring the video manager to be rebuilt afterward. But none of that is really practical for most people, and it's not necessary at all if one has a little patience.

If I understand you correctly, Fab won't even get the main movie. You just have to wait for an update to DvdFabHDDecrypter, typically the wait is no more than a couple of weeks. If only DVD43 were updated more often, then there would be more than just one FREE program that could deal with the latest protections.

As to payware, there's AnyDVD and DVDFab, both are updated frequently.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!
    You dug up a 4 & 2 year old thread for that

Your name is what it means.....
    Quote Quote