VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody,

I want to buy Pinnacle PCI 700 card for capturing VHS to DVD, but i dont know can this card capture using firewire.

But i want to cupturing using firewire port to DV format.

So question is, can Pinnacle PCI 700 capture through firewire to DV using firewire cables?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ""
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SerbianBoss
    Hi everybody,

I want to buy Pinnacle PCI 700 card for capturing VHS to DVD, but i dont know can this card capture using firewire.

But i want to cupturing using firewire port to DV format.

So question is, can Pinnacle PCI 700 capture through firewire to DV using firewire cables?

It's a common analog/fireware card. It's like a normal fireware card with a normal capture card.

"i wouldn't recommend you to buy any products from pinnacle......
    Why did you not try the Ads USB device?
    I have read that it offers a very nice quality......

Pinnacle studio = Beta software ->> Sadly , Real " This for capture analog video.
    For Dv , a fireware card...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ADS Instant DVD 2.0 is a really nice capture device. You are limited when it comes to unattended scheduled recordings but for VHS to DVD it is a great device. Excellent quality. It also ignores copy protection!

Only downside is the unit can get very hot and that could cause capture issues. The solution is easy. Prop it up on make-shirt legs so it's a couple inches or so up off the table surface then put a (very small) fan on it. Heat problem solved.

The next option would be the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 2.0 which is another USB 2.0 capture device that works well and has great support for unattended scheduled recordings. Quality is excellent and it also ignores copy protection but seems a bit more "touching" with VHS sources than the ADS Instant DVD 2.0 ... nothing a TBC wouldn't solve but a TBC is an expensive peice of equipment.

For a PCI solution there is the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 or 350 both of which work as well as the USB 2 model. The WinTV PVR 150 model is to be avoided as it has many unresolved issues.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    All of the capture devices and cards I mention do hardware MPEG-1/MPEG-2 captures.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for answeres.

But, i was interested for Pinnacle products.

I dont know which is better PCI 700 or USB 700?

Does this capture cards have hardware mpeg2, and can this cards capture through firewire in DV?

thankS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for answeres.

Does this capture cards have hardware mpeg2, and can this cards capture through firewire in DV?

thankS
    Pinnacle is considered JUNK

Don't be interested in them.

What you begin to find in the world of computer video is that most hardware and software does NOT work as advertised. Best to go with something that is proven. That would NOT be Pinnacle.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok, but i want to listen same review about these cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far no one has commented on this exact model.

This is the link ---> CLICK HERE

Do YOU want to be the guinea pig?

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for answeres.

thankS

I suggest you take Johns advice, there may be some persons that have had a "good" or "acceptable" experience with Pinnacle products but I for one can speak from experience.

It is not what you want!

Save yourself a trip back to the store to return their over advertised over priced low end products

All you need to do is search these boards to get a confident feeling of what will work and what will not work the best.

You won't find Pinnacle at the top of that list.
    Thank You,

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  10. what you think about hauppauge 250 and 350 cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you need to experience Pinnacle and ATI in order to appreciate the Hauppauge PVR-250.

Part of the initiation.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Serbia,

The 250 and 350 cards you ask about do not support DV conversions they seem to be broadband tv capture cards.

Like others point out 'stay away from pinnacle' or you may end up being another user experiencing installation problems and poor support with the card itself. Then on top of that you have to deal with the Studio software which is very unimpressive to say the most!

Stick with known products that have good track records....

ADS Pyro products are good
    DAC 100 another good unit
    Canopus ADVC series is another good product line
    there are probably more out there Just haven't personnaly used them.

go outside the mainstream and you dance with disaster! Requires a Big Wallet too since you may have to buy two cards of just plain give up.

Lot's of Luck!

Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want a capture device that outputs DV AVI to the computer via FireWire (also called IEEE1394 as well as i.link) then you would want the DataVideo DAC-100 or the Canopus ADVC-100 (hard to come by as it is discontinued) or the newer Canopus ADVC-110

All 3 devices work essentially the same. They are external devices that accept analog A/V and convert it to DV AVI format.

The aforementioned Hauppauge units and the ADS device are all hardware MPEG-2 capture devices. They only capture to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 formats.

Quote Quote  
  14. thanks for answers,

what you think about PYRO A/V Link?
    http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555

This piece of hardware can capture in dv through firewire.

If anyone have this model, can say something about this model, suchs as Audio-Video sychronisation, dropped frames, quality picture... etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for answers,

what you think about PYRO A/V Link?
    http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555

This hardware can capture in dv through firewire.

If anyone have this model, can say something about this model, suchs as Audio-Video sychronisation, dropped frames, quality picture... etc.
    The ADS Pyro A/V Link is just like the DataVideo and Canopus devices.

However the DataVideo and Canopus devices have proved to be very nearly perfect in operation whereas some ... I stress some ... people have had problems with the ADS Pyro A/V Link. When I say problems I mean dropped frames and A/V sync issues etc.

My suggestion ... go with the DataVideo DAC-100 as it is nearly identical to the Canopus devices but should cost a little bit less (although it will be more than the ADS Pyro A/V Link).

My suggestion is based on you wanting a device that converts to DV AVI format. However let me say this ... if you will be doing a lot of recordings (such as TV shows) then I highly suggest you go with a direct-to-MPEG capture device such as the Hauppauge line of PVR cards (or the USB 2.0 device they make).

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Concerning the ADS Pyro AV/Link, I've been using mine for over a year now, and have had no problems with black levels, dropped frames, and have had no sync issues. I agree that the DAC and Canopus are also good, and if you want TV capture or direct hardware mpeg encoding, that the Hauppage cards are good. For DV capture or AVI capture, I really like my ADS unit. A plus with it being an external unit, is that I can move it from PC to PC, and get the same great results.
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  17. do you have model 555 or 550?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I will say that 'beating a dead horse' obviously sounds redundant, I'm going to chime in anyway. This topic of dropped frames and audio off sync has had me dogged for the last seven months...First with Studio Movieboard with it's PCI-500 Video capture card, and the supplied audio Y cord, which goes into the system's realtek audioHD sound card separately, to the updated Studio Ultimate 14 HD software, thinking this can be resolved..well, a whole lotta nada!! I have been on the Pinnacle Studio-Capture and Studio-EDIT forums seeking help on this, but to no avail, like all of you said, they blame my computer.

All I intended to do was to capture analog VHS-C tapes from my analog 1997 JVC Camcorder,

RCA VIDEO-OUT from camera to RCA VIDEO-IN to the PCI-500 card, and the
    RCA AUDIO-OUT from camera to Y CORD, into the separate sound card,
    ...the results??? It appears I get no dropped frames, but when I playback in CAPTURE or even after finishing the video, and replay back in Windows media Player, you hear the sound seven seconds or so BEFORE you see the lips move.

Pinnacle only tells me to free up resources like ie: turn off screensaver, turn off anti-virus,uncheck all programs in msconfig., run Defrag, set screen display at highest resolution, step down the DataRate from 6 to 4, which none of these helped. They even advised me to buy another computer dedicated ONLY to video editing. WHAT!

This vidiot (me) has not tried any other software titles as of yet. I am not a pro at video editing, so this pinnacle product with all the bells and whistles were impressive at first, then the off-audio sync issues pursued. Then the lack of customer support. I would like to find a program that not only locks in both the audio and video together, but does the music add-ins, titles,chapters,transitions like STUDIO. I DO NOT want to record straight tape to DVD. I DO want a few editing options. I looked at Canopus,Adobe Premiere, and Sony, which are all too expensive.

Yes Indeed, you get what you pay for, which was $80.00 originally, with a free upgrade to ultimate 14,but I concur, the capture process is CRAP, and I have spend many countless hours trying to get this to work. Obviously, it has to do with the unlocked Audio and Video, having two different capture devices that cause the audio drift, or sync issues.

This even happens when I capture using my Canon G6 digital camera.

I do not have a bottomless wallet. I can not afford to buy all the products listed in various posts, like Canopus 110,DV Flow,Vegas 5, ADS Pyro, or the Data Video Dac100.

I'm looking for something at present, to capture Video and Audio synced together from analog VHS-C tapes, VCR analog capture, to the future DV capture when I do get a new HD Camcorder. Use for both worlds, then again to be able to add the bells and whistles before burning to DVD.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rivrbyte; 27th Mar 2011 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SSSSsoooooo....
    Listening to my rants about being a very unsatisfied Pinnacle user, wanting only to capture analog from Camcorder (using RCA) or VHS on a VCR..but first, I'd have to buy a newer VCR with FireWire to do this, my old Panasonic won't work) or someone mentioned using a DV camera as a pass-through.

I do not own a HD camcorder yet, but for now, it's burning old Camcorder VHS-C tapes to DVD.

What to get? I'm not interested in capturing TV on my computer, my BIGGEST problem with the pinnacle capture PCI-500 card is with two separate A/V clocks throwing the capture OOS. (out of sync) *read above post.

I haven't experienced other video editing software tools like STUDIO, so I don't know what's out there.

Another considerations that most people tell me to move from XP Home SP3 to Windows7. With XP, my memory is tapped out at 3.3MB, windows7 can get me 8GB. My nVidia GeForce 8600GT is only 512 Mem., I've been told to upgrade to 1GB memory. Also been told to buy another computer and use only for video!!! Too many resources to disable on my present system to go through in order to do video capture.

Please....anyone who USED to USE Pinnacle STUDIO for analog capture, got tired of the sync issues, what did you get next, and are you happy with it and did you have to re-do your entire puter just to make it work? Thank you!
    Quote Quote