VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Would there be much difference in performance between a 3.0GHz pentium 4 with HT and a 3.4Ghz pentium 4 with HT?

Computer option #1 $879
    - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 651 w/HT Technology, 3.4GHz
    - 1GB DDR2-533MHz SDRAM (2x512)
    -Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition

Computer option #2 $609
    -Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 524 w/HT Technology, 3.0GHz
    -1GB DDR2-533MHz SDRAM (2x512)
    -Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are they using PC4200 in those machines? Are they both 1066 FSB?

If they're both single core chips then there should only be about $100 difference between the two base chips so I would hope there's something more to the faster system than just the processor.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  3. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    nope seem the same other than the processor speeds. Both have 160GB HD, 1 DL burner & 1 dvd rom.

Comp #1 $879
    -Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    -Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 651 w/HT Technology, 3.4GHz
    -Memory SAVE $40! 1GB DDR2-533MHz SDRAM (2x512)
    -Hard Drive 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    -Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE UPGRADE from CD-RW to 16X DVD+/-R/RW (This is a double layer DVD +/- R/RW drive)
    -Secondary CD/DVD Drive 16X max. DVD-ROM
    -Front Productivity Ports 2 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire IEEE 1394 ports
    -Graphics Card Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Accelerator,no TV-Out
    -Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Capable Intel(R) High Def. Audio
    -Keyboard and Mouse HP Multimedia Keyboard, HP Optical Mouse
    -Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0/Money 2006/MSN Encarta Plus

Comp #2 $609
    -Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    -Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 524 w/HT Technology, 3.0GHz
    -Memory SAVE $40! 1GB DDR2-533MHz SDRAM (2x512)
    -Hard Drive 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
    -Primary CD/DVD Drive Double Layer 16X max. DVD +/-R/RW drive
    -Secondary CD/DVD Drive 16X max. DVD-ROM
    -Front Productivity Ports 2 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire IEEE 1394 ports
    -Graphics Card Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    -Sound Card Integrated 7.1 Capable Intel(R) High Def. Audio
    -Keyboard and Mouse HP Multimedia Keyboard, HP Optical Mouse
    -Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0/Money 2006/MSN Encarta Plus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unless you're doing hardcore gaming or large cpu intensive tasks, i'd get the cheaper one. .4 gHz isn't worth $270. besides, with the speed at which technology is advancing, they'll both be considered "old" in a year.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, unless you do a lot of encoding to which that extra 400 MHz will save you some time I don't think the difference is worth it. For gaming you wouldn't notice much speed difference at all between those two, it would depend more on the video card you put in there. Speaking of which are those AGP or PCI-E boards? Unless you want to be instantly hobbled from the box you would want it to be PCI-E.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tend to agree with the others that the cheaper might be better but the make and model of motherboard(the most important part of any computer system) isn't listed so a final decision for me can not be made.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't much, but one could assume the boards are Intel as the integrated sound and video are both Intel.

Just an observation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It also might be interesting to note what size case is supplied with both, how many available external/internal slots are, how they arranged, and what size power supply is installed. Those factors also help you to decide whether upgrades are available and supported with the current hardware/software purchase price.

I'd also assume they are Intel boards but which ones would be my concern if I were purchasing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Both computers are HP Pavilion Desktops.

Comp#1 specs the $800
    - Expansion slots Three PCI expansion slots (two available)
    - ATX HP Pavilion a-series chassis (Mojave2 chassis )
    System dimensions: 15.75 H x 7.5 W x 15.75 D
    -Chipset i945-G
    -Front-side bus (processor-dependent 800MHz)-
    -Power Output Wattage (300 Watt)
    -Two external 5.25", (2-2 occupied by CD/DVD drive & DVD-ROM drive)
    -Two external 3.5" (0 occupied - NO floppy drive or media card reader in my configuration)
    -One internal 3.5" (filled by hard drive) Additonal Harddrive possible with a purchase of a drive cage

Comp#2 $600
    -Expansion slots Three PCI expansion slots (two available)
    -Micro ATX HP Pavilion a-series chassis
    System dimensions: 15.75" H x 7.5" W x 15.75" D
    -Chipset i915GV
    -Front-side bus (processor dependent) 533MHz
    -Power output wattage (300 Watt)
    - Two external 5.25" (2-2 occupied by CD/DVD+DL drive & DVD-ROM drive)
    -Two external 3.5" (0 occupied - No floppy drive or media card reader in my configuration)
    -One internal 3.5" (filled by hard drive) Don't think second internal drive is possible due to Micro ATX chassis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, umm... All 9xx Intel chipsets are LGA775. IIRC all LGA775 chips are 800 FSB. Why is the second system 533 FSB? And again why are either of these chipsets loading 533 MHz memory, DDR2 no less?

I couldn't find any info on the 524 at Intel's website which is interesting considering they have processor data dating back to 130nm process chips. The boards themselves are pretty similar. Both are obviously PCI-E.
    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/915gv/index.htm
    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945g/index.htm

One difference you may want to note is the 651 Pentium 4 supports 64-bit instructions so you'll be able to use it if we go to completely 64-bit native operating systems in the coming years. That may be worth the extra cash if you want it to stick around more than a few years.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    Yeah, unless you do a lot of encoding to which that extra 400 MHz will save you some time I don't think the difference is worth it.
    Hmm, how much more time can I save with the extra 400 MHz? I do 4 passes so saved time is good...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Given the additional info I'd say both are overpriced but I'd go with the $800 machine over the $600 simply because it's faster both in processing power and FSB. It also as has been said supports the 64bit computing environment.

You do realize you have video onboard in both cases, have no PCI-E or AGP Ports, you are given a miniscule 160GB Hard drive in both, and a power supply that won't be able to support much more than what you are provided with?
    Quote Quote  
  13. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Given the additional info I'd say both are overpriced but I'd go with the $800 machine over the $600 simply because it's faster both in processing power and FSB. It also as has been said supports the 64bit computing environment.

You do realize you have video onboard in both cases, have no PCI-E or AGP Ports, you are given a miniscule 160GB Hard drive in both, and a power supply that won't be able to support much more than what you are provided with?
    I do realize this. I don't game on a PC only console, and The 160GB is ok, I have 3 external HDD form 120-300GB. It will only be used for dvd backups/very little encoding if any/Photoshop/internet.....basic pc stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I posted all that was in relation to the extremely high price for the system. When I pay $800 I expect at least a couple hard drives, twice as much RAM, and a nice digital LCD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They may have PCI-E slots for an added video card, the chipset would certainly support this. The onboard video is listed in the white papers along with the PCI-E x16 graphics capabilities. However for video production work, DCC, and most other office uses the onboard video will be just fine. It really only needs to support your desired display resolution. 2D doesn't need much in the way of fancy graphics cards.

At any rate you may want to verify that an additional video card can be added before purchasing. It never hurts to have the ability to upgrade components like that should you ever wish to run dual displays or somesuch.
    Quote Quote