VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been searching for a computer software which removes the copy protection of video tapes (VHS and NTSC) which can be used capturing videotapes into the computer`s videoedit program. No such program seems to exist. I have a device beetween the video tape player and the DVD recorder (not computer-attached) but the result is not good (the picture is not clear and gets black and white etc). Anyone with suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A TBC? Are you talking about MacroVision? In that case, it's an analog protection, and can't be removed or anything using a computer. It's simply not present in the digital format. You just see the effect of it.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision can only be removed via a signal booster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Sima GoDVD model CT-2 box works well to remove macrovision protection from the video signal from VHS tapes for DVD recording. They cost about $75.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a cheap signal booster that I bought back in the late 80's at Radio Shack. It is called Optex Video Stabilizer V0760. Little black box that has an in and out RCA jack. Powered by a 9v (square) battery. That part I would like to change to AC, gonna talk to an elelctrician I know to see how to go about it.

I can always tell that the battery is dead when I start seeing the color on the screen go from pink to green when I do VHS caps.

I am looking at getting a JVC JX C7 video enhancement unit, mostly to do color correction prior to capture, but I would really like to know if it also will remove Macrovision as a bonus.

NOTE: I just looked on eBay, someone has a bunch of these units for sale, but not labelled as OPTEX. Looks EXACTLY the same as what I am using.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Those cheap little black boxes on eBay all look pretty much the same, but they differ in the actual circuitry and in how well they work. I tried one called Second Generation that was supposed to remove Macrovision, but it didn't work for me, and luckily the eBay seller took it back, and I was only out for the shipping charges.

I got the Sima GoDVD Model CT-2, and it works as advertised for cleaning Macrovision from VHS tapes for capture to my GoVideo DVD recorder. It's supposed to also work to remove copy protection when going from DVD to VHS, although I can't imagine why anyone would want to go that direction.

For older units that use a 9-volt battery, you can buy a plug in battery eliminator at Radio Shack that may work, although the DC output from it may not be smooth enough to give the best results. I use one of those to power an FM stereo transmitter, and I can hear a faint 60 or 120 Hz buzz in the received radio signal. What shows up as audio buzz could show up as a moving venetian blind pattern in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My PVR-250 (bought in 2002) capture card just works fine when I convert my studio VHS tapes to MPEG-2 files. No need for my "Video Stabilizer" box. From the back of my mind I thouth that macrovision just dumped crap during horizontal blank time. Most sync separator chips/circuits can deal with this just fine. Maybe newer capture cards now come with macrovision detection logic to force people to spend $50 in order to implement their fair-use rights. If you can solder you can build one for about $20.

Maybe I don't want to buy a new computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act) forces all video recording/capturing equipment manufacturers respect and detect Macrovision protection. So I do not think it is possible now days to find any capture card that will ignore and disregard protection.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trossin
    My PVR-250 (bought in 2002) capture card just works fine when I convert my studio VHS tapes to MPEG-2 files.
    Who manufacture PVR-250 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ella
    Who manufacture PVR-250 ?
    Hauppage, but my PVR-250 does not handle MacroVision tapes at all.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you say I will still have to use my Grex Video Stabilizer if I want to convert protected VHS to DVD. OK. I have HP DVD Movie Writer DC5000. All the reset should be the same according to your instruction. I will try it.
    I see you are from PAL region. So am I. What about NTSC tapes? Do you know any good tool to convert PAL video on PC to NTSC video and burn DVD in NTSC and vice verse make PAL DVD's from NTSC tapes?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once you've captured your PAL tapes to PAL mpg, it's a PAL to NTSC issue, which is a big topic on it's own. Just search this site for it! It's not so much a question about tool, as a process. In other words - there is no reliable tool where you can put a PAL mpg in one end, and get a NTSC DVD out the other.

/Zilver
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strange. I was sure it is all digital and converting PAL mpg (or avi) to corresponding NTSC should be an issue of the good SW tool and nothing more.
    OK I will check forum for this.

Do you use any video stabilizer in your setup? I have Grex and gona use it for some NTSC Disney VHS I have. (Grex - http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html). I had only 2 PAL protected tapes. Fortunately Grex works with both PAL and NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done very little VHS digitizing - An old VHS, straight to the 250 card via RF (couldn't get a stable pic with composite/SVHS). Mediocre results. If I was to do this on a more regular basis, a TBC would be a top priority, I think.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you can capture the VHS via a DV converter (camcorder or standalone unit), a flag will be set in the DV stream that indicates copy protection. If you capture with our software (see signature), you can reset that flag while capturing.

How you then edit and convert the captured DV for DVD use depends on your software etc.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  16. I bought a JVC Model BR-S800U Professional S-VHS deck from Ebay, and it ignores the copy protection. It has the TBC digital processing card in it, so that may be why. I got really freakin' lucky, I scored the deck for less than $100. Before the JVC deck, I had a composite inline de-macrovision box (I forgot the model number, but it was from Clearline Concepts) for tape-to-tape copying, but it really screwed with the capture card, so I needed another solution. I did not know that the BR-S800U had this little benefit, so I was very surprised. I have a large analog tape library, so I needed to invest in a solid machine. Most of tapes are user-made, but I do have some commercial tapes I need to digitize. As far as capture software, I am using VirtualDub 1.8.0 in directshow mode with my Pinnacle PCTV 800i.
    Quote Quote