VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Subject: How to convert a bi-language VCD .dat file into a mono-language mpeg video format?

G'day to all:

[1] If I have a bi-language VCD movie [.dat format] , the right speaker is in english, and the left speaker is in france language, but I want to convert it to mpeg format with ONLY english sound, how do I shut off the france language or vice verse ? What computer software
    can do this SINGLE-language mpeg conversion? I know there is readily available software to convert VCD movie [.dat format] , but there is no function to choose only one sound channel [ either left speaker or right speaker ] during the conversion process.

[2] What computer software mpeg player or VCD software player [ used in the computer ] can let us adjust the brightness of the movie screen? Most of the time when I use the computer to watch the VCD movie through the CDROM, the movie screen brightness seems to be very dark, the only way to brighten it is adjust the CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS of the monitor to 100% full, but this is very troublesome as have to set it back to normal range after finish watching it, if not, the computer monitor would be too bright to read when using the computer to do other things. I know the lastest version Window Media Player 7.1 has the Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation video settings adjustment, but it seems this functions are not working with this computer [ english window 98, 17" Philips monitor and only bought 2 years ago ], not matter how do I adjust these functions, won't change the VCD movie screen quality when watching the VCD with the computer, .

Hope to hear from you soon !

Regards,

pengyou

Quote Quote  
  2. hi
    copy the .dat file to hard disk
    open tmpgenc
    open mpeg tools
    select demultiplex (not simple demultiplex)
    select your .dat file
    double click on stream to extract them
    then go to multiplex
    select the extracted video stream file and the good audio stream file
    select videoCD on he combo box
    select a name for the new multiplexed file
    and click run

after you must use nero or winoncd to burn a vcd

bye
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a step by step guide on how to remove a language from a VCD so you can record and watch it on a disk in the remaining language.
    1. Download the free Audacity 1.3 Beta (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) and TMPGEnc 2.525 (https://www.videohelp.com/tools/TMPGEnc). I had trouble with the TMPGEnc – it did not run by itself but was leading me to a folder where I had to click on the application file and start it that way.
    2. Insert disk in computer.
    3. Open MPEGAV folder, copy the .DAT files (usually only the large ones contain episodes)
    4. Paste on your desktop. For this exercise, let’s call the file Tom.DAT
    5. Open TMPG software, go to File, select “MPEG Tools”, go to “De-multiplex” folder
    6. Click Browse, Select “all files” so you can see the DAT file, pick Tom.DAT
    7. Double click on audio_stream, save file as TomA
    8. Double click on video_stream, save file as TomV
    9. Close window
    10. Go to TMPG main window, select “Audio Only” in radio buttons on right, click Browse next to Audio Source, select TomA file
    11. Go to file, select Output File to Wave file
    12. Save file as TomWave
    13. Now go to the Audacity Software.
    14. Go to File, select Open TomWave file
    15. Click on (you can choose either of the first two options, I prefer the second as it is faster)
    16. Now click in the down error in the grey field just next to the blue wave window. From the dropdown select “Split Stereo Track”. Now you have two blue wave windows. Delete the Left or Right (depending on which language you want to get rid of - Chinese is usually Left, English Right but can vary) window by clicking on the X. Let’s assume here we delete the bottom Right blue wave window. Click just below the down arrow of the remaining top Left channel so that the window gets selected and copy it (CtrlC). Then click in the empty grey space below until the top blue window is no longer selected and then press copy (CtrlV). You should now have two channels again. Click on arrow in bottom channel and select “Right Channel”. Then go back to top blue window, click on arrow and select “Make Stereo Track”. Now you are back to having only one blue wave window.
    17. Go to file, export, save file as TomWaveD
    18. Go back to TMPG software
    19. Click browse next to audio source, select TomWaveD
    20. Go to file, select Output File to MPEG file, and save as TomWaveDE
    21. Go to file, MPEG Tools, go to Multiplex Tab
    22. Add TomV file, then add TomWaveDE file (make sure you save in the right folder)
    23. Click on Run
    24. Your new Video with only Chinese language is waiting for you in your folder. Rename and enjoy on any device.
    25. Good luck. It took me a long time to figure it out so hopefully this will help others go through the process quicker. Thanks to everyone else who wrote before me as I could never have figured out this alone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you need to convert your bi-language VCD.dat ? it's easy to switch between channels with a standalone DVD player that can play VCDs back ("Audio" or "Language" button on IR remote). Just burn your *dat as a VCD with Nero (sometimes you need to rename *dat to *mpg)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most bi-language VCDs I've seen have a single stereo track with one language on the left, one on the right. To hear only one language all you have to do is set the audio balance control (speaker icon in the system tray) to one side or the other. Regarding brightness and contrast controls: just about every software media player has them. What player are you using? Your graphics card's setup applet also has video proc amp controls. I would calibrate that first. Then use the player controls to adjust for that particular VCD, if it's still not correct.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, VCD language options are easy to manage if you are willing to use a DVD. But I needed the conversion so my kids can watch 80 episodes of Bob The Builder on our TV via our Seagate Hard Drive docking station. Inserting a different DVD every time they want a different episode drives mommy crazy - not to mention that DVDs usually don't last long in our household after being handled by the kids even after just a few months. If anyone knows of a quicker solution for a conversion from VCD to a hard drive docking station in only one language (I needed to remove the English part or both would play on Seagate simultaneously), please share - I would love to use it next time I buy Chinese VCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Disconnect the audio RCA cable for the channel that you don't need. That will only work if the language you want is always on the same channel.
    Quote Quote