VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In general, the reason to convert from RMVB to any other format is because RM format / codec can't be read, and some other codec can. Since you did not transcode, stuff is STILL in RM codec, thus you did not solve the problem. IMHO, of course. Whatever works for you, the more power to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rm formats can be read if you have the right player and codec. the reason why many convert to avi format as far as i know is that its the most widely used and many players can play them unlike that of rm. when i converted it, it no longer is in RM format but in avi (XVID specifically).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gastorgrab
    Originally Posted by dvdragon
    OK, I used Xvid. But heres the deal. I was unable to play the file in VDub Mod. But there was audio but no video.

Plays fine in Windows media player classic. Audio and video
    You might try a different version of XviD (newer or older).

Another possible solution is to install a YV12 codec.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Helix_YUV_Codecs.htm

--edit--

I import the .avs file in VDUB Mod. Press play. Sound comes up but with no video. Just a black screen.
    YV12 codec then.
    I have a similar problem. I got an AVI file that can only play on my Dell or other PC except the ACER. There is only audio and no video (Black screen).

I have an ACER desktop with Athon X2 and an ACER notebook with Intel Celeron. The same AVI file can not be play on both ACER computers, however it's playing fine on my Dell and an Emachine with Intel Celeron.

I played the avi file thru Window Media Player, Real Player , and Media Player Classic.

Any help would be greatly appreciate..
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tuxmask:
    Have you identified the video codec with gspot?
    And try play with VLC.

But what has your problem with rm to avi conversion? Make a new topic if your problem has nothing to do the with topic subject.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    tuxmask:
    Have you identified the video codec with gspot?
    And try play with VLC.

Solve this problem..I was missing Xvid codec. It works fine now that I have the codec install.

But what has your problem with rm to avi conversion? Make a new topic if your problem has nothing to do the with topic subject.
    I have this exact problem (audio only and black screen) on my ACER notebook trying to play RMVB file using Avsynth interface. Since I can't play the file on media classic player I can't
    convert the RMVB file. So I thought somehow it's related to only ACER computer that's missing some thing (codec?? or something) because I can convert RMVB to AVI on my DELL.
    And my DELL have no problem playing the avi file.

I still have the same black screen problem on ACER now... And I don't think there is a solution to dvdragon's post anywhere...

Since I can convert the RMVB on my DELL, I didn't bother to proceed further. Now, I just got an ACER Desktop and the AVI file doesn't play (black screen) so I thought it's has similar symptom thus I posted here. Is there a way to delete post?

Thanks for your VERY QUICK response.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I updated the graphic driver on my Acer's notebook and now I am able to play the avs file thru the media classic player. Both video and audio works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everytime I try to save the avi I get "Stats file not found!" and then "Cannot start video compression: The operation is not supported. (error code -1)".

I'm follwing the first post exactly. Can anyone help out?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pepsi... Your AVI encoder is set to 2-pass / 2nd pass. Set it to single-pass encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ross_diadame
    rm formats can be read if you have the right player and codec. the reason why many convert to avi format as far as i know is that its the most widely used and many players can play them unlike that of rm. when i converted it, it no longer is in RM format but in avi (XVID specifically).
    I've tried your WinAVI method before for RMVB to XviD... Audio was 15+ secs out of sync.

With this guide, and thank you to the creator to this method, I've been able to guarantee the framerate and audio are consistent to any rmvb video that plays on my computer, all the way from resizing, converting to multiple colorspaces all the way to filtering and getting rid of Real's bits and pieces into any other codec I want 8)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have followed step by step your recomendations and when I load the .avs script into virtualdubmod I've got the following error message:

Avisynth open failure:
    ScripterrorirectShowSource does not have a named argument"convertfps"
    (C:\CITESDOR\eps01.avs, line 1)

The avs file script loooks like:
    DirectShowSource("C:\CITESDOR\Episode01.rm", fps=29.97, convertfps=true)

I also tried with
    DirectShowSource("C:\CITESDOR\Episode01.rmvb", fps=29.97, convertfps=true)
    or even (thinking the path could be the reason)
    DirectShowSource("C:\Episode01.rmvb", fps=29.97, convertfps=true)

Can anybody help me? I struggle trying to convert rmvb into avi for my kids...

Thanks

Syreocna- [/img]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is it possible to change the FPS command line to 25fps for PAL users? Do I need to put in 25 or 25.0?

Thanks a lot, this guide has been so very useful. Kudos to you, my man.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kschang
    Do you actually see grey frames as you play through the AVS script? Or only after you fed it through an encoder?
    For this one RMVB I have, when I play the AVS script in Vdubmod or Media Player Classic, it has the gray frames. But when I play the RMVB itself, it doesn't have the grey frames. Is there a possible way to not have the gray frames?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The reason I want to convert RM to any other format (preferably xvid, avi) is because rm is a worthless garbage format that should be banned from the internet. I mean, I've downloaded many RM files that I want to post on YouTube but I can't split them. I have no idea why. I've used Boilsoft's AVI MPEG RM WMV splitter and it won't split them. It just stalls in the middle of splitting the second file. So I've been trying to convert to a different format... but your guide isn't that great. Why would I want to change the framerate to a constant one? I just want to leave the video at the same frame rate as the original rm. I have a couple of videos that are 15 fps. If I set it to 30 that's a complete waste of space. This is ridiculous. Does anyone know why I can't split soem RM video files? What other programs are there that'll do the job properly?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I managed to convert the RMVB file to DIVX except the original files dimension was 640 x 480 and the converted DIVX file is now 320 x 240. How do I keep the original dimensions.
    Oh my where are my manners, I completely forgot to say goodbye!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to convert rm files to avi using the method in this guide but I keep getting an error message.

I have installed Real Alternative 1.6.0
    AVISynth 257
    VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2

I have saved the following script

DirectShowSource("D:\file.rm", fps=25, convertfps=true)

I can play the rm file in Media Player Classic but when I try to load it using the script I get this error

DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio

Video returned: "DirectShowSource: Couldn't open file D;\File.rm :
    An object or name was not found.

Audeo returned: "DirectShowSource: Couldn't open file D;\File.rm :

I can open a wmv file in the same directory with Media Player Classic if I change the filename in the script so it seems that it is only rm files that AVISynth cannot open for some reason.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of these programs and I have also installed FFDShow and run the wmv config.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try removing the "D:\" and just have the file name and file type in the quotes. Make sure the RM file is in the same folder as your AVS script.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same error!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try SUPER. It handles Real formats quite well.
    Stiiv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a strange problem. I have a 25fps RMVB which I have used the above convertfps script on. I've also tried using another script with AssumeFPS to convert to 23.976fps. However, it keeps coming out of sync in my MPEG2 for some reason even though it plays fine when I play the script in MPC or Vdubmod.

I have set the correct options in TMPGEnc. If it was converted to 23.976, I set it to 23.976, 3:2 pulldown in TMPGEnc. I've also tried converting it to 29.976 as well as just leaving it at 25fps and it would still come out out of sync! I've also tried opening one of the above scripts in Vdubmod and while it plays fine, when I save as an AVI in DivX codec, it's out of sync again.

The only solutions were to use WinAVIConverter but I don't like that because it turns out blocky in high motion scenes. Anyone know of a way to make that program turn out higher quality MPEG2?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try not to change audio streem to Full Procesing but Direct, its worked to me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I am getting an error message:

avi import filter error: (unknown) (80040154)

Any clues?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MarkOD
    I have been trying to convert rm files to avi using the method in this guide but I keep getting an error message.

I have installed Real Alternative 1.6.0
    AVISynth 257
    VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2

I have saved the following script

DirectShowSource("D:\file.rm", fps=25, convertfps=true)

I can play the rm file in Media Player Classic but when I try to load it using the script I get this error

DirectShowSource: Could not open as video or audio

Video returned: "DirectShowSource: Couldn't open file D;\File.rm :

Audeo returned: "DirectShowSource: Couldn't open file D;\File.rm :

I can open a wmv file in the same directory with Media Player Classic if I change the filename in the script so it seems that it is only rm files that AVISynth cannot open for some reason.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of these programs and I have also installed FFDShow and run the wmv config.

Does anyone have any ideas?

After I have installed Gabest RealMedia Splitter v1.0.1.0 this problem was solved. (Install RealAlternative first).

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realize this is a very old thread - but recently I got a movie length RMVB file that I wanted to convert to a more common video format/container, and I found that it seemed to involve several steps, and/or more than one program.

Until I realized I actually already had installed a program which would do it in a single step.

Quick Media Converter

It took me a few trial before I got it so that QMC would produce an AVI of good enough quality -
    I was a bit surprised that it took quite a high bit rate and a resultant file that was about twice the size of the original RMVB file to do it - but QMC was flexible enough to do this. I chose to use DivX format
    (I am not experienced enough to know if this was the optimum format to use) -
    but some of the other conversions to mp4 and avi seemed to give variable Frame-Rate and/or bitrate - which I did not want

Here were the simple steps:

Open/add the rmvb file in QMC:

The default setting on QMC is Easy Mode - if it is not already in Easy Mode click on the upper left Easy Mode button.

Then click on the DivX button and chose on the drop down menu -
    in this example Expert Mode 4:3 -

this screenshot shows the settable parameters - since I was only doing a conversion I initially set the same frame size/dimensions, frame-rate, and bitrate - that converted just fine - except I saw some pixelation in some motion.

So I tried with a higher bitrate and that came out a bit better - but still had some pixelation - by trial and error I ended up using a bitrate that was almost 3 times that reported by MediaInfo on the original rmvb - which resulted in an avi file size double that of the original rmvb - but at least the pixelation was minimized.

Conversion to DVD - Mpeg did work very well also - but obviously the file size was much larger in the order of 2.5GB from a 700MB rmvb original.

Although both the YouTube and Q(uickTime) buttons can convert to MP4 they give the undesirable (for me) variable bitrate and/or frame-rate.

Perhaps setting the parameters in the respective Expert Modes such as Codec and/or FFormat may be able to do it? - but I haven't yet experimented to figure this out yet.
    Quote Quote