VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Loved this player until I played a burned DVD+R - Now except for a MP3 disc it says "Cannot play this disc" ....even a fresh store bought DVD.
    No matter what I put in it its screwed now.

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen 3 diff. post's about problems with "Sony" standalone dvd players in the last 24 hours.....
    All i can say is....
    Look at my Avatar
    (and that has been a proven fact for 15+ years at least) 8)

A little more info might help also......
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phink
    Loved this player until I played a burned DVD+R - Now except for a MP3 disc it says "Cannot play this disc" ....even a fresh store bought DVD.
    No matter what I put in it its screwed now.

Anyone?
    Same boat here. My $400.00 Sony DVD player stopped working with "No Disc" message 2 months just after the warranty got expired. Having read some articles, I was advised that Sony has done this on purpose ! They could program the fuse to be blown after certain period of time. Once blown, the DVD can't regconize any single DVD disc. Sony really knows how to make money on this strategy. Too bad !

Also got same problem with Sony mini-chain system. It says system can play CD-R and CD-RW. A month after warranty expired, this unit can't play any single CD (No Disc message). Now I keep this unit to listen to radio only.

I definitely say good-bye to Sony. Go with Yamaha or Denon : much better.
    Andy
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure I believe that Sony has programmed their players to self-destruct. Yes, Sony certainly is a stupid company that is poorly run, but it seems to me that such a plan would eventually be counterproductive as a lot of people do read reviews online prior to buying any kind of hardware. I would sure stay away from any models known to be problematic.

It could be just bad luck that the DVD laser is going bad. This happens from time to time. The only cure is an expensive repair or just buy another player. I think the problem happening after you played the DVD+R is just coincidence.
    Quote Quote