VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been beating my brains out over this. The only way i can get this file to play is with the VLC player, which is lame. I want to be able to play this in WMP and convert it to mpeg2. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Popping "AVC1 Codec" into Google shows (in the first link, no less) that AVC1 is supported by FFDShow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it doesn't work. I already tried that. lol, i'm not that much of a noob. I've googled like crazy, i can't find anything that supports it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, but you didn't follow THIS advice, also found with Google...

http://mytechieself.blogspot.com/2005/12/howto-avi-file-and-avc1.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, but i did. I don't have an avi file, it's an mp4. But either way, i turned on all the options that have anything to do with avc1 and mp4 and nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From all the Googling, it appears that MP4 is really MOV slightly renamed, but then Haali Splitter should have worked and FFDShow should have viewed it.

Just tried one of those Apple clips... Downloaded the Fantastic 4 HD trailer, renamed extension to .mp4, and confirmed that it doees play in BSPlayer (albeit, with lousy framerates as I have a lousy PC).

Well, what can I say?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar problem in that I could watch the file (mp4 w/h264 & aac), but not encode to mpeg2. Try uninstalling ffdshow, restarting your machine, then installing the latest verison from:

http://cutka.szm.sk/files/ffdshow-20051129.exe

I checked all the options when it asked about avisynth, vdub, etc and it solved my problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar .mp4 file, so I installed ffdshow. Now Gspot crashes. I hope nothing else broke.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the latest beta of g-spot ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    G-Spot can't read .mp4 files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Colonel Forbin
    I had a similar problem in that I could watch the file (mp4 w/h264 & aac), but not encode to mpeg2. Try uninstalling ffdshow, restarting your machine, then installing the latest verison from:

http://cutka.szm.sk/files/ffdshow-20051129.exe

I checked all the options when it asked about avisynth, vdub, etc and it solved my problem.
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks Colonel
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest FFDShow is actually Rev 20051221

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

A bit more research shows that Gabest's MP4 Demuxer/Splitter doesn't work with MP4/MOV's. You need to use Elecard's MP4 Splitter until Gabest fixes his.

(Source: CoRoNe's DShow Filter Pack at http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t56803.html)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest ffdshow is newer than that. The CVS is constantly being updated and various people are putting builds online, so there are definatly builds up from this month.

There is a new alpha AVC dshow decoder (coreAVC) out from corecodec now to. A fair bit faster than libavcodec/ffdshow.

To playback an AVC mp4, you need a splitter and a decoder. Haali's splitter and ffdshow should definatly do the trick. ffdshow can also decode aac audio.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and I was able to play those QT7 HD trailers (in AVC1 codec) in BSPlayer after renaming those MOVs to MP4s. So FFDShow does work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in BS player maybe, try playing them in WMP.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WMP gives me a 80004005 error.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found this old thread describing the same problem I was trying to solve. What i did was to rename the file as mp4 from mov and then use quicktime to view it. Gspot had already identified the codec as AVC1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Except that Gabest's splitter has long solved this two year old problem in a much cleaner way. But thatnks for playing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well I just tried these two and now I can open MP4 files

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Haali_Media_Splitter
    and
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow

After these two I can open the MP4 files that show as avc1 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC in Gspot 2.70a in Main Concept 1.4 and DVDSanta 4.0 (Don't laugh it was here). GSPot never shows status as Codec Status Undetermined, however they open both video and audio now. I'll be trying them in TMPGenc Xpress 4 and free later. Xpress 4 works with thosw two loaded too.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have a similar problem with an mp4 video file - VLC will only play the auido with a black screen - no picture. (I can occassionally get a still frame if I move the cursor back and forth)

GSpot (v2.70a) says it the codec is avc1 - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and 'Codec Status undetermined'

If I click on the 'Proposed Codec solutions and Tests' buttons

G Spot Vid - "GSpot is not yet capable of attempting to render this video type. Try using the "MS A/V" button 1 " and...

Using that button Produces a good result "Render OK - Following combination of fliters was used -

(mailnly) .... ffdshowVideo Decoder > Video Renderer
    .... ffdshowAudio Decoder > Default DirectSound Devices

both the ffdshow decoders say 'ffdshow.ax' when hovered over and the 'Video Renderer' and 'Default DirectSound Devices' both say 'quartz .dll'

Pressing on button 2 actually plays the video fine in a box above, so it it playable somehow??

here are pictures of the GSpot output -

(the video shows as black in the screen capture)

any thoughts greatly appreciated

cheers

neil

Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try open the mp4 in avidemux. Do you see the video then? if so then try save as a new mp4(under audio and video choose copy and then it wont converted).
    Quote Quote  
  22. cheers Baldrick, that pretty much worked.

Avidemux did warn about H.264 detected and either method offered produces a video that is slighty 'jerky' (only just), but generally it works.

It's not needed for anything critical, so is good enough - though not as smooth as the 'combination' method that Gspot uses.

many thanks

neil
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try "remux" it using mp4muxer or yamb. Add the mp4 and make a new mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  24. the mighty terrapin esq. terrapinlrps47's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kschang View Post
    Latest FFDShow is actually Rev 20051221

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

A bit more research shows that Gabest's MP4 Demuxer/Splitter doesn't work with MP4/MOV's. You need to use Elecard's MP4 Splitter until Gabest fixes his.

(Source: CoRoNe's DShow Filter Pack at http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t56803.html)
    thank you much kschang, much obliged..

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SO my question is...How do you load the video in certain software, to get it to play? Is there a fix for the issue, or is the fix where you have to modify the .mp4 in question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software, specifically ?

Some software will read MP4s out of the box. Some require the correct directshow codec to be installed. Some will only load certain types of video encoded in the mp4 container.

Your question is too general to give a definitive answer.

So, post a mediainfo of the file in question, and tell us what software you are trying to load it into.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by simonsonjh View Post
    I have a similar .mp4 file, so I installed ffdshow. Now Gspot crashes. I hope nothing else broke.

MediaInfo program has replace the old Gspot
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check the date when you post....that post is almost 8 years old now.
    Quote Quote