VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hey everyone, i know that sending files through FTP is sorta old skool, but i would still like to know how. i am using SmartFTP and if anyone knows how to upload files this way, please do advise. thanks very much.

- skip
    Wow! You got shocks, pegs... LUCKY!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Old School? No way. I find this the best way to update my web site, also to transfer files to my brother, I am leaning more towards bit torrent for that now, but for web sites and simple transfer I always use FTP. Millions of people use it every day.

Here's a how-to http://www.ftpplanet.com/ftpresources/basics.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    u ar awesome thanks so much. not old eh... well i feel a little better for using it now thanks.
    - skip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks very much now i now how to tranfer (key element), but now i need an account on a server. how do i get that. i read that some people have there own website. can i make a geocities one and use that to transfer, or like a myspace? please let me know. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So if I understand you correctly what you wanna do is hold some files that friends or family can download?

There's a free Java based FTP server that you can download set passwords usernames and things like that, I can't remember the name of the program off the top of my head but take a look at download.com they have many free FTP servers that you can use. So what you would do is install this FTP server on your computer, create a folder/directory and set username and password's so that people can download or upload to your FTP server, using something like Smart FTP or cuteFTP software.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the way I said a Java-based FTP server, because this is one that I have used but I just can't remember the name.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    u are so awesome, yes that is exactly what i want. thanks you so much. o u have been so helpful good things to ya! ahhh.... o am i so happy its like u read my mind. thanks so much...
    phew... HaPPINESS....

ahh. ok so this server can i set it so that i can leave it anonymous because ive got like wedding photos and stuff and i dont want to assign everyone a username and password i mean there are just too many people. so can i set it anonymous and just tell people to dl?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes you can do that to.

Glad I was able to help, good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i found some links on Download.com
    http://www.download.com/Rad-FTP/3000-2160_4-10371891.html?tag=lst-0-6 - Rad FTP 1.5
    http://www.download.com/Secure-FTP-Applet/3000-2160_4-10343550.html?tag=lst-0-5 - Secure FTP Applet 1.7.3
    http://www.download.com/RageWork/3000-2248_4-10464425.html?tag=lst-0-9 - RageWork 2.4

i typed in "java ftp" into the search box to look for results. i would like something that enables people to dl preferably without an FTP only cuz some of the older people or the non computer savvy may not know how to use it. thanks.

- skip

@ canadateck: if u do happen to remember the name of the app. please LMK, thanks very much u have been awesome, take care.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok ive got the Secure FTP running and it is very easy to use. the only problem i now face is getting an account on a server. please advise, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by skip2mylou
    ok ive got the Secure FTP running and it is very easy to use. the only problem i now face is getting an account on a server. please advise, thanks.
    Ummmm .... canadateck was suggesting how to make your computer the server. You can designate a folder on your home PC and then set up FTP Server software to only allow that folder to be accessible to the outside world. Once set up, all you need to do is give someone your IP address and get them to try to FTP to you.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oohhh i see now. that sounds like a great idea, but i dont know how to set that up. if u could please let me know how to set up a folder and set up the FTP to allow that folder to be accessed, and that people without an FTP software be able to dl the files. thanks for clarifying.

- skip
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    oohhh i see now. that sounds like a great idea, but i dont know how to set that up. if u could please let me know how to set up a folder and set up the FTP to allow that folder to be accessed, and that people without an FTP software be able to dl the files. thanks for clarifying.

- skip
    Google it. Either that or I'm sure the help files of the FTP Server software you choose can tell you what you need to set up.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok i checked a bunch of sites and omg it all says what to configure but i cant find anything that flat out says how to make my computer a server using SmartFTP. im gonna check the SmartFTP site to see what they have, but im still lookin for a general tutorial that actually answers the question...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SmartFTP is an FTP client, not FTP Server software AFAIK. You need FTP Server software.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok ok, now its starting to make sense... what FTP server software do u recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ok ok, now its starting to make sense... what FTP server software do u recommend?
    I haven't had any experience with configuring one unfortunately
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no problem, thanks though, ill google it and see what i find...
    Quote Quote