VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I've been editing vids for about 2 years now, but at the same time I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to alot of this, so I need your help.

I've been using Virtual Dub to edit DVs and I often times will lower the framerate to get slow motion. Then when I encode using Ulead DVD Movie Factory the MPEG will still remain at the same framerate still giving me the same slow speed I want.

I recently discovered Cinema Craft, and it is giving me MUCH better quality with my MPEGs.... However when I lower the framerates in VD now, CC doesn't want to accept it and always encodes the video at full speed. (I don't think CC recognises the lowered frames rates, instead I need a program that has an actual slow motion option in it)

So I was hoping someone could recommend a good DV editing program that has a slow motion effect built into it, that Cinema Craft will recognise..... and is fairly easy to use. A friend gave me Ulead Media Studio, but I am completely LOST with it..

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then you will be completely bamboozled by Vegas, but it has a great slow motion capability (two, in fact). You can also use the Debugmode frameserver to serve to CCE from the timeline.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How can I change the framerate on a selected portion of an AVI in VirtualDub and leave the rest normal?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cipher5000, are you sure you are setting up VirtualDub correctly to do slow motion? In the “Video frame rate control” window, under “Source rate adjustment” the “Change to (box where you enter desired frame rate) frames per second”, here you enter, as an example, “9.99” to give you a slow motion that will playback at one third of normal speed in NTSC countries. You must also under “Frame rate conversion” have “Convert to fps (box where you enter your original fps) checked. Here you would enter 29.97 in a NTSC country in that box. If you do not do the second step your video is converted to 9.99fps and you will not be able to join it together with the original 29,97 video in some programs. You will also want to be using “Direct stream copy” for the video (to avoid re-encoding). You will also have to make your audio playback in slow motion. To do this, on the top menu bar select “Audio”, and check “Full processing mode”, then put a check by “Use advanced filtering”. Now click on “Filters” in the same dropdown window and you can add audio filters to achieve slow motion audio to match your video. Here you will construct a chain of filters, first add an “input” filter, and then add a “stretch” filter. You will have to configure the stretch filter by double clicking on it. In the window “filter: stretch” under “Stretch ratio” enter “3.0000” in the box if you want it to match the slow motion one third speed video example above. Now add a “output” filter, then connect together the three filters (input>stretch>output) together. You now go to “Save to AVI…” under “File” on the top menu bar, and save your DV AVI file. It will not re-encode the video but it will playback at one third speed while maintaining its 29.97fps frame rate. The audio will be re-encoded to match the video. By the way I’m not trying to speak down to you by going into such detail, but I want any beginner that is reading this to have a detailed guide on how to do this. Uleads VideoStudio version 7 and above can also do slow/fast motion, and it is easier to do in that program. I sometimes also use the free program Audacity to make the audio not have the pitch change that happens with slow\fast motion, the talking is just slower\faster.
    Stantheman1976, you ask, “How can I change the framerate on a selected portion of an AVI in VirtualDub and leave the rest normal?” I do not know of a way of doing this in VirtualDub. I usually just trim the portion of the video that I want to make slow motion (using the above method) and save it. Then also trim, and save, the portion before, and after, the slow motion segment. Then using the “Append AVI segment…” feature in VirtualDub join together all three segments.
    Quote Quote  
  5. bobcat, THANK YOU!

Yes I wasn't "converting to", that was the whole problem..... And i appreciate the detail!

Thank you VERY VERY much, this helps me out BIGTIME
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry to bump this to thetop after so long.... but I have a question regaurding stretching the audio.

How do you know what to change the stretch ratio so it will be in sync? What if I make the frame rate 22 or 25, what would the stretch ratios need to be? is there some way of figuring this out??? I often use different frame rates, and it would be good to know how to make the audio match all the time

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (22/25)*100 will give you the percentage change. Use this to adjust your audio speed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bobcat56458 View Post
    You will also want to be using “Direct stream copy” for the video (to avoid re-encoding).
    great tutorial bobcat!

but when i enable "direct stream copy", then the Filters option on the Video menu becomes disabled.

What should I do?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnyradio View Post
    ...but when i enable "direct stream copy", then the Filters option on the Video menu becomes disabled.

What should I do?
    Don't use Direct Stream Copy. If you want to use a filter, it involves reencoding. And not using Direct Stream Copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's because bobcat56458 was mistaken. When changing framerates, one MUST put the mode to Full Processing, because creating new interpolated frames IS processing, and so you will have to re-encode.

......sheesh! Still too slow on the draw.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    That's because bobcat56458 was mistaken. When changing framerates, one MUST put the mode to Full Processing, because creating new interpolated frames IS processing, and so you will have to re-encode.
    You do not need to use Full Processing Mode to change frame rate in VirtualDub. With DV (or any other intra frame codec) Virtualdub will duplicate or decimate frames in Direct Stream Copy mode. With inter frame codes (like Xvid) it will duplicate or decimate entire GOPs -- usually not the effect you want.

You do need to use Full Processing Mode if you want to filter.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Nov 2011 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True, but I was going under the assumption that the OP wanted SMOOTH slo-mo, and to do that, one must interpolate, not duplicate/decimate, thus requiring Full processing. Otherwise, you'd be getting increased judder.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    True, but I was going under the assumption that the OP wanted SMOOTH slo-mo, and to do that, one must interpolate, not duplicate/decimate, thus requiring Full processing.
    Does VirtualDub do frame interpolation?
    I thought it only offered duplication or decimation, neither of which require Full Processing with a key-frame only source.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't know of any VirtualDub filters that perform motion compensated frame interpolation or even blending interplation. The OP seemed happy with VirtualDub's slow motion by duplication. He just had problems importing the files into CCE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MSU's AFRC ($$).

But you can do just as well (possibly better) for free in AVISynth, so that's what I usually do.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    MSU's AFRC ($$).
    Any idea what they charge for that?

I see they have a free (for personal use) version that does integer multiples.

http://compression.ru/video/frame_rate_conversion/index_en_msu.html

I'll check it out sometime soon.
    Quote Quote