VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently upgraded to a sweet HDTV and currently have digital cable, but I'm weighing options for possibly going with a satellite in the future.

The thing that bugs me then most when sifting through online offers is the fact that every additional receiver beyond the first, whether cable or satellite, seems to incur a fee. Also, DVRs seem to incur a fee per DVR.

I swear I think I would actually pay more for a service that didn't nickel-and-dime the customer this way. I'm wondering, is there a way around the extra receiver fee? Is there anyone who doesn't charge it? You constantly see adds for free satellite dish installation with 4 FREE RECEIVERS and FREE DVR UPGRADES, but when you read the fine-print you see that each one still incurs a fee, and so does each DVR.

Annoying.

I'm wondering if this fee is justifiable. I mean, I pay my cable company $6.95 (US) for a DVR box (free "first receiver"). Yesterday I went to pick up another non-DVR box, for which I will be charged $7.61. If I want to add DVR to that box, it will be an *additional* $6.95, making that second cable box cost $14.56. This is to watch channels for which I already pay over $70 a month.

Is there a way to use DVR technology without these fees? I mean, if I'm already paying for the DVR service on box #1, why should I pay for it again on box #2?

-abs
    "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." --Glenn Gould
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All companies that I'm aware of (charter, DirectTV, Dish Network), charge a fee for each receiver. DVRs incur an extra charge because they usually have a 2nd receiver inside.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of the commercial PVRs/DVRs will have a regular monthly fee for use and constant updating of the video programming schedules.

To get away from this, currently your only choices would be to make your own PVR using a computer, video tuner card and PVR software such as Snapstream's Beyond TV, SageTv, MythTV, GBPVR or others.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should consider going the DVD Recorder with Hard Disk Drive route... While they typically don't have the interactive guide, they can be programmed as easily as a vcr. I've got a Pioneer DVR, and it can play while it's recording - which can be similar to a pause-live-tv tivo kinda thing. I'm sure others have similar and maybe better features. These recorders are getting cheaper all the time - so I'm sure you wouldn't have to spend over $300 - with no monthly fees... and if you want, you can burn out your favorites to DVD! (though don't tell ROF/MPAA about this...)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about direct TV, but here is a basic breakdown for Dish Network.

Each additional reciever is $4.99, whether a single or dual tuner receiver. The models 721 (dual tuner), 522/625 (dual tuner), and 501/508 (single tuner) are all DVR's with no DVR fee of $4.99. Some are no longer sold/leased by Dish but can be purchased online on places like Ebay.

If you use a dual tuner receiver and feed a 2nd TV thru a standard high quality coax cable, you use less receivers. They have dual tuner DVR receivers for both standard and HD TV.

You have to decide what you want (# of TV's/DVR's) and who gives you the most bang for your buck. There are tons of offers from local and national companies for both satellite and cable. Time to do a little snooping and find one that fits you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by funny guy
    If you use a dual tuner receiver and feed a 2nd TV thru a standard high quality coax cable, you use less receivers. They have dual tuner DVR receivers for both standard and HD TV.
    At this time Dish has the best set up with it's dual tuners. Yuou could have 4 t.v's set up with full dvr functionality for the price of two. I hear that Verizon, if you are lucky enough to be in there area, will be able to send all recorded shows to any reciever in the house.
    Quote Quote  
  7. another option that may be worth considering is that slingbox thing...i havent personally had experiance with it myself, but to my understanding it can take a video source and throw it to a differant tv...........may or may not be what exactly your looking for......
    Quote Quote