VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hoping I can find some help with this. I searched the forum before posting.

I've got a Toshiba RS-TX20 which is a Tivo DVR and DVD burner. I've had great success with capturing VHS tapes onto the hard drive and burning them out to discs. However, last night I copied a commercial tape to the hard drive, but when I went to burn it, it tells me that the copyright holder won't allow it.

Now, I've had issues on my PC in using an ATI capture card to digitize copy protected video. In that case, it wouldn't let me capture at all as the image became distorted.

In this case, the video recorded to my Tivo hard drive beautifully. So it's sitting there with no visible trace of copy protection, but it still retains the signal which the software recognizes and says "not gonna happen."

Is there anyway to get around that? I don't need a TBC as the image looks perfect on the hard drive. All I can think of is tricking the software into not recognizing the signal. I know some hardware is crackable with codes to get it to play all regions. I had hoped there might be a way to crack the software from recognizing the copy protection, too.

I dunno, I'm stretching, but I can't figure why it would capture it to the hard drive with copy protection, but not let it go back out again.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might need a TBC to strip out the macrovision signal, which is probably what is triggering the "copyright" flag.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Sima Digital Copy Enhancer CT-Q1 can strip out all copy protection from VHS tapes. Other boxes are available as well.

roberta
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    He is looking for a way to do it with what he already has on his HD so a TBC or Sima Digital Copy Enhancer is not going to help him in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Tivo DVR and DVD burner?This is an All in one? Tivo/Burner?

If so, You may need to strip MV before getting it to the Hard-drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Other than modifying the hardware (if that's possible), the only way to remove copy protection is to use a box in between the playback and recording devices. Since they are quite inexpensive and simple to use, it would simply be a matter of connecting a box between the VCR and Tivo and rerecording the tape to the hard drive.

roberta
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know about the specs as to whether this is an option, but it might be possible--IF the HD is a standard IDE type and IF it's formatted with some standard filesystem (like FAT/FAT32/NTFS/UDF/etc)--to take out of settop and install into the computer. Mount it and copy/convert/author/burn the files. Has been done with other TIVO models.
    Of course, this WILL void your warranty...

(The TBC/Capcard way is probably easier)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, there are TIVO models with Ethernet capability, so all you have to do is log into your TIVO unit and copy the file to your computer.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ...That's what I'm talkin' about...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. It is also possible that the video in question was copied with a "Copy Once" CGMS flag which means that you can copy it to the hard drive but can't make a copy of that copy.

There is a device called Video Filter which is actually a CGMS controller. With it, you can set the flag to "Copy Always" before the video is copied to the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the advice, folks. Since my unit doesn't have an ethernet connection, and I don't want to void the warranty, I'm going to look into getting a TBC.

What's a decent cheap one that will simply filter copy protection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fairly tough CGMS with SVHS or RCA input = Sima CT2
    I have tested one and it worked with a Panasonic E55 (&E20), some of
    the more sensitive to copy protection pieces of equipment on the market.
    Cheap solution (under $30) RCA input = those little black box things
    on ebay - worked for me when Sima Copymaster or Color Corrector wouldn't.

Many brands of TBCs out there - expect to spend $200 or more for a new unit - maybe less for a used or auction one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. In my opinion, TIVO capture that tape on hard drive and recognized that is it copyrighted, so it set an indicator somewhere to disallows transferring that video from HDD to DVD-R. This is all done by TIVO software in the DVR (and there is no way we can change or hack it). The video captured is certainly in MPEG-2 format. If you can extract it out to a PC then you can certainly author and burn it to DVD-R.
    The other simple way is to connect the audio/video out to another capture devide (VCR or another DVD recorder), and hope that works.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There may be a way that a separate device is helpful, but in my case going from R16 Directv DVR to separate DVD recording unit does not work. Thanks for the other insights, and this may work with a different set up than mine. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    amnesiacaj - I know you're new around here, but don't dig up old threads to comment on them. The ONLY time you should ever do that is if you have information that nobody has ever provided. For example, if someone asks for an unlock code and nobody ever responded with one but you know it, it's OK to post it. Just posting like you did in a thread 6 years old to say "Thanks" is something we'd really rather avoid. Just let sleeping dogs lie.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my apologies. I did not check the date on the thread until after I'd posted.
    I did, however, feel that I was adding to the last post of the thread by noting that a separate device hadn't worked for me...
    perhaps I'd better return to lurking. seems safer...
    Quote Quote