VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I made a simple image animaton tutorial for Wax2. Wax2 is a free video compostion app (in case you didn't know).

I took a Picture of some snow landscape and then animated snow to make it look like it's snowing.

Download the finnished clip to see the effect:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p1409415/snow_menu.wmv

If you like the effect, Download the latest version of Wax2 and view my tutorial. You can get Wax2 Here:
    http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

Snow animation tutorial:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p1409415/tut.wmv

Also download my sample images to use when you try it. The images are in a zip file.

Image samples
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p1409415/images.zip

Wax2 is a lot of fun and is free.......enjoy!
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice effect, and nice plug to Wax2 as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes Very Nice work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Dipstick:

Nice guide. FYI though - when I try to play the WMV files in Windows Media Player, I get a dialog box pop up saying that the file extension does not match the file format. GSpot indicates that they are AVIs but using the Windows Media Video V9 codec. If I change the file extension to .avi, they play fine.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  5. @Safesurfer

Yeah that happend to me also,I just downloaded it and it Plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I must also change to .avi or it wont work with wmp or mpc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's probably because I used Virtualdub with wmv9CVM to convert to WMV. It gave the best quality at the low file size. If you download "Save to disk" and play them, they should play fine. If Not, then change the extention from "wmv" to "avi" (without quotations).

I don't have any website or server for storage, so I had to make do with what I had to keep the files under the 2 MB limit........Sorry.
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I'm reading this correctly, does it mean that I can save an animated menu out of Wax2 in mpeg format, and then import the menu into DVDLab Pro as a Motion Menu
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wax2 will only let you save to avi. You'll then have to convert to Mpeg through your Encoder before importing into Dvdlab.

If you have the Debugmode Frameserver installed, you can Frameserve out of Wax2 to your encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK got that, Dipstick, although on the Wax2 site it does say it outputs them as AVI, Mpeg and WMV but I guess that is only without sound ?

I followed your tutorial OK, but not ready to actually try it yet. Need to know...In PAL land I would change things to 25 fps and 720x576 but is there anything else that needs changing ?

Also, if you are creating DVDLab menu's in 16x9, widescreen, then what would be the dimensions of your original background piccy?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be the wrong person to ask, as I live in NTSC land and have no use for PAL and I don't have a Widwscreen TV.

But I'll give it a shot. If you have Photoshop CS, you can use the "Pal 16:9 Widwscreen Template" to create your Background image:

You get to it when you create New image. It should work just fine. If you don't have Photoshop, you can create a custom image. I did some quick calculations and came up with 1024 x 576 as a background image size for Pal 16:9 Widescreen. When you insert it in the Wax2 Timeline, Right-click and choose "Stretch to Fill". It wil look a little squashed, but should be allright when you encode in your encoder with the propper Aspect Ratio.

Here is a quick test I did:
    1024x576.mpg (600kb)

Play it in MPC or Powerdvd, but the real test will be your Widescreen Pal TV.
    Quote Quote