VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I get the "track following error" everytime I try to burn a dvd, but I can burn a cd without any problem, and rip a dvd to my harddrive without any errors at all. The dvd writer I have is the DDO401 Optorite dvd+r. ANy suggestions I could go about troubleshooting this. I know newer double layer dvd writers are not much ( around 40 bucks for a good one) so I would get a new one if I needed too but I want to make sure my dvd writer I have now is not broken.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like a hardware problem with the burner. CD and DVD burning lasers are separate, so CDs may still work. It could be the slide the lasers are on is sticking. DVD has much finer tracks than CDs, so more possibilities of errors. I would also perform a cleaning of the laser lens on the chance that it's dirt or gunk on the lens.

But first, try a different DVD media and a different burning program. If you use DVDShrink, try DVDDecrypter to burn. Even though the media you are using may have worked fine before, it can vary sometimes within the batch. Trying a couple of different brands of media may rule that out as a problem. If you get nowhere with this, try updating the firmware of the burner.

And if all this fails, then you might consider replacing it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok sound good I will get some new media, because I bought the dvd cleaner with the little brushes on the bottom of the cd and that didn't change anything. And yes it did work with other dvds of the same kind of media and then it just stoped working. I also have the latest version of firmware.
    Quote Quote