VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to remove all commercial blocks from AVI fast

There are many software programs to allow users cutting parts of AVI.
    Some of them are presented here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=108#108

My attention attracted recently released Video Splitter by Solveig Multimedia.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=SolveigMM_Video_Splitter

Though its description is fairly ordinary, authors on their site enumerate the features and one of them seemed me fairly promising.

It sounds as:
    - Allows multiple fragment processing in single pass
    Let us check this software. First of all it’s gratifying to note that its size is only 1.9 MB.

Download, install, start it and open DivX 5.0 AVI file. The program has
    a quite pretty graphics user interface.

Video Splitter has useful navigation controls. Most helpful of them are Next and Previous K Frame buttons to move both markers and slider to K Frames.

Assume my AVI file contains 10 commercial blocks I want to be removed.
    I just point out each of them by start and stop markers (Set new marker : Ctrl + M) and set them to be removed by "Select fragment: Ctrl + S" and push "Trim" button.

After that appears progress bar and in 1 minute!!! we get result AVI file free from all commecrials.

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That may be very good, but if you are using editing commercials in MPEG, I recomemend using MPEG Video Wizard. It searchs for when the video fades to black, which generally indicates a commercial break. Then it provides lossless splicing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also VirtualDub is a good tool to use for trimming and appending AVI's.Just use "Direct stream copy" and it processes just as fast for FREE.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by d-wil
    That may be very good, but if you are using editing commercials in MPEG, I recomemend using MPEG Video Wizard. It searchs for when the video fades to black, which generally indicates a commercial break. Then it provides lossless splicing.
    I agree d-wil,I have MPEG Video Wizard (No Re-Encoding) and its great,I also have a key for MPEG2VCR,which is given for free when you purchase it.
    Dont forget VideoRedo aswell.If you only need to cut commercials and correct sync,its cheaper and very good at what it does.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laspis59
    Also VirtualDub is a good tool to use for trimming and appending AVI's.Just use "Direct stream copy" and it processes just as fast for FREE.
    Sure VirtualDub is a great software and it's freeware.
    But it is a bit cumbersome and has terrible number of settings

And it doesn't allow cutting of many parts simultaneously, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Josef Kneht
    I dont understand?
    You can cut out as many parts as you want in one go using mark in and mark out,delete.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Josef Kneht
    You dont have to know what most of the settings do,leave them as default.Just cut out all the junk you dont want,then click Video>Direct stream copy.
    Save as an AVI.

Edit: And make sure the audio is set to Direct stream copy also.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Josef Kneht
    Sure VirtualDub is a great software and it's freeware.

Wait till you try Virtualdubmod and AVISynth ...... totally free and 0 seconds "rendering" time to action your cuts !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laspis59
    Originally Posted by Josef Kneht
    You dont have to know what most of the settings do,leave them as default.Just cut out all the junk you dont want,then click Video>Direct stream copy.
    Save as an AVI.

Edit: And make sure the audio is set to Direct stream copy also.
    Ok, thanks. I know about direct stream copy but after VDub, AVI with VBR audio is often out of sync
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about the audio problem that virtualdub has when the video is using a variable audio bitrate.

Can ... Solveig Multimedia Video Splitter ... handle variable audio bitrates??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    What about the audio problem that virtualdub has when the video is using a variable audio bitrate.

Last post I wrote:

Ok, thanks. I know about direct stream copy but after VDub, AVI with VBR audio is often out of sync
    and I meant that Video Splitter has not such a problem.

Moreover on the program homepage :
    http://www.solveigmm.com/?Products&id=VideoSplitter

there is features enumerating:

Based on SolveigMM AVI Trimmer Component (COM object)
    Supports any AVI file format (DV type 1 and 2, OpenDML) with any video (DivX, XviD, 3ivX, etc.) and audio (MPEG-1, MPEG-2 layer 3, AC3, etc.) content.
    Supports large AVI files (more than 2GB)
    Allows trimming AVI files contained VBR audio without synchronization loss
    Advanced K frame navigation
    K frame accuracy
    WYSIWYG preview
    Allows multiple fragment processing in single pass

Well, I had not any sync troubles with AVI containing VBR audio in contrast to Vdub
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest

Here what I accidentally found in VDub blog:
    http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=67

I have found that when processing video using Direct Stream Copy with a DivX file with MP3 sound,when playing back in Media Player Classic and seeking to different parts,the sound pops for a split second.It also crackles constantly when using fast forward and slow motion.
    I tested processing the same file with SolveigMM Video Splitter and the artifacts are not there.BTW the sound is fine when processing in DSC with PCM and AC3 ect…
    Strange!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to improve AVI out of sync

We too often deal with AVI files where a sound is not synchronized with video. Also there are cases when we play AVI files and after positioning, audio only starts after a few seconds.

Though the reasons of firts and second poins are quite different one can improve both first and second troubles by right remultiplexing.

Such remultiplexing feature has SolveigMM Video Splitter that allows an user to perform it in three simple steps: 1.open file, 2. specify an output file name, 3. start process.

1. Open file

2. Specify an output file name

3. Push "Trim" button.

Aslo with this tool you can Remultiplex AVI to ASF; save separately (demultiplex) Audio or Video from AVI, WMV or ASF files.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I find VDubMod much easier to use.

With VDubMod, if you hold down the shift key while pressing the forward or backward arrow keys, you can very quickly scan through your video (i.e., from keyframe to keyframe) and find the points where you want to set your mark in and mark out points.

I could find no such functionality in Solveig. With Solveig, when you drag the slider along the timeline, your frame picture only updates when you let go of the mouse button....in other words, you can't dynamically scrub across the timeline as you can with VDubMod. This was so irritating that I didn't even bother searching to see if you can make Solveig snap to keyframes (another feature that any decent AVI editor must have).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Go get 'em, LisaB. Why is this person being allowed to spam promote his commercial product here? At Doom9 this would have been nipped in the bud.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm a bit new to this whole video editing stuff, hopeing someone can help. I essentially want to cut out some commercials from a basketball game I recorded (perferably all in one go) it's in avi format, for the life of me, I can't seem to cut out the commercials, it seems I can cut out almost everything but the commercials! I've tried both Solveig and VDubMod and just can't get it done.. does anyone know where there is a step by step explanation of how I can delete commercials? I've tried the above steps for solveig but didn't work the way I expected it to?

Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I just tried this program, and it works great!

Only draw back is that it ONLY jumps by KEYFRAMES, so its not perfect all the time.

I have sections where it jumps by 7 second frames, so i cannot cut out the commercials perfectly, if anyone knows how to navigate by individual frames, then this would be an ideal program.
    LG cd-rw/dvd combo drive
    LG DVD-RAM/CD-RW combo drive
    Windows XP Professional
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Syndrome,

In the recent version 1.2.7.18 you can switch off Key Frame Positioning both from slider cursor and markers.

Menu->Control->Slider K Frame Positioning
    Menu->Control->Markers K Frame Positioning

By default both of check boxes are in set state. This is necessary to ensure you will get what you see, since SolveigMM Video Splitter accuracy is K one.

For morу details see SolveigMM Video Splitter User Guide:
    http://solveigmm.com/files/USG_Video_Splitter.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DmitryV
    Hi Syndrome,

In the recent version 1.2.7.18 you can switch off Key Frame Positioning both from slider cursor and markers.

Menu->Control->Slider K Frame Positioning
    Menu->Control->Markers K Frame Positioning

By default both of check boxes are in set state. This is necessary to ensure you will get what you see, since SolveigMM Video Splitter accuracy is K one.

For morу details see SolveigMM Video Splitter User Guide:
    http://solveigmm.com/files/USG_Video_Splitter.pdf
    Well thats all good and dandy, however the video still SPLITS only at the keyframes! I have a video here that goes 9 seconds without a keyframe, and i need to split it at the 4 second mark! Is there any way to tell it to INSERT a keyframe, so I can cut the movie exactly where I want it to?
    LG cd-rw/dvd combo drive
    LG DVD-RAM/CD-RW combo drive
    Windows XP Professional
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well thats all good and dandy, however the video still SPLITS only at the keyframes! I have a video here that goes 9 seconds without a keyframe, and i need to split it at the 4 second mark! Is there any way to tell it to INSERT a keyframe, so I can cut the movie exactly where I want it to?
    Hello Syndrome,

Unfortunately for the present the answer is No..
    We have this feature (frame accuracy trimming) in our schedule and it will necessarily be implemented.

Nevertheless, the end of a fragment to be kept (or the begin of a fragment to be deleted ) can be set in frame accuracy mode and the Splitter must process it.
    Quote Quote