VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't have a lot of space for my DVD player, it may be advantageous to use it on it's side. (Philips 642).

It plays okay, just wondering if I might be introducing problems (ie laser reading mechanism / spinning mechanism.)

Thanks

Medieval
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the original PLAYSTATION 2 had a stand you could use to stand it on its side. I don't think SONY would advertise that feature if they knew it would introduce problems.

With that said I DON'T have a PS2 and haven't done that with a dvd player of my own.

I'd just use caution. If you start getting any kind of odd noise I'd probably stop doing it since that might be a motor balance issue.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. That shouldn't be a problem. All players should have a magnet clamp that grabs the disc from both sides at the center hub. We use dvd-rom drives all the time at work, on their sides.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the tray has clips on it to hold the disc in when operated vertically, no problem. Many DVD-ROM/DVD-RWs have them, unknown about settop players. If not, I don't know if I would do it. The disc is held in position when inside the player, just getting it to stay in the tray when it retracts is the problem.
    Quote Quote