VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just wanted to say that HDTV2DVD is a great tool for archiving my HDTV programs from my Motorola 6412 to DVD. I use the latest VideoReDo to edit my TS file and then convert with HDTV2DVD. Thanks for your work and for offering this time-saving software to us.

I have a couple of requests for future versions if this is possible. I prefer to create my own DVDs using DVDLab Pro. ChrissyBoy, do you have any plans in the future for allowing the end user to set his/her own video bitrate? The auto bitrate may not allow for the type of menu structure one would want to create in 3rd party software.

Also, would it be possible for an option to allow HDTV2DVD to create its own elementary streams, saving the step of demuxing the current mpg stream in something like VOBedit? It's easy enough to do now, but I'm always looking for ways to cut out steps.

One final request...if demuxing is included, could we have the option to choose whether or not we want open or closed GOPs in the video stream? If my understanding is correct, even though both are acceptable, closed GOPs may allow for more precise chapter point setting.

Please don't misunderstand me, the program is a great tool already. This is just my wishlist. Thanks
    Peace, BJ
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the great app! I would also love to set my own bitrate, preferably as high as possible. Can this be done? Perhaps a registry change?

DVDGEEK
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdgeek
    Thanks for the great app! I would also love to set my own bitrate, preferably as high as possible. Can this be done? Perhaps a registry change?

DVDGEEK
    I think you need to buy SVCD2DVD... it has a thing where you specify a matrix of your own choosing. Now, if I only knew what a matrix was...

--Dale--
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dvdgeek
    ...I would also love to set my own bitrate, preferably as high as possible...
    This is already done automatically by HDTV2DVD, simply by specifying Autofit to either single or dual-layer discs. Then the bitrate is set as high as is possible for these sizes.

I suppose if you don't "Autofit" at all, then H2D will likely make the bitrate at the limit of the DVD spec? I haven't tried this. Maybe ChrissyBoy will clarify.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The "autofit" option doesn't work for me. I was hoping to get a higher bitrate as well. I'm using a dual-layer disc for my movie but it's not filling the entire disc the way it's being mastered at the moment. Anyone have any ideas on how to get a higher bitrate as well as use as much of the space on the disc as possible?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a very basic question and hope that someone can help out. I captured a 1 hour recording in .ts format ~ 1.5 GB with no problem. When I place the file into HDTV2DVD, it outputs VOB files totaling about 3.4 GB. I can burn this to a DVD and play it with no trouble. 3.4 GB seems a little large to me for a 1 hour show. If I want to record a 2 hour recording, am I supposed to use the DL option/Autofit? Am I sacrificing quality?

In any event, thanks for the program, even if I can only record 1 hour, its an awesome tool and incredibly useful to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are using the tool on normal (non-HDTV) captures... As a result the tool is encoding with a higher bitrate than the original capture (whereas usually a HDTV file would have a higher bitrate and be around 9GB for a 1hour cap)... Therefore you can do a 2 hour show at the same quality (and a bitrate closer to the orignal) by adding the .ts file and clicking autofit if the indicator is over 4.37GB... Only use "DL" if you are using DL media.

Just out of curiosity what are the dimensions of your ts file? (should show in the asset window). It maybe that you don't need to re-encode at all...
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am using standard definition captures, and the output easily fulfills my needs. My .ts file dimensions are 704x480. Thanks for your info. I have noticed that I can only work with one title, so that if I want to record two separate 1 hour shows, I would probably have to use SVCD2DVD, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is correct. Do you have the option to capture @ 720x480?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think so. I'm using CapDVHS, and it appears to only capture my standard def at 704x480.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking for a tool like this for a while, so glad I found this one.

I've been having one problem though... it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I didn't see any solutions posted - I'm burning widescreen HD ts files, but when I play them back they're squashed into 4:3. This is fine on my widescreen tv, because I can simply stretch it back out to widescreen... but, I'm making some dvds for my parents who only have a 4:3 tv, and when they play them, rather than being letterboxed they're stretched to the full height of the tv, and therefore distorted. And on their tv they can't change this. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LeftCoast
    ...I'm burning widescreen HD ts files, but when I play them back they're squashed into 4:3. This is fine on my widescreen tv, because I can simply stretch it back out to widescreen... but, I'm making some dvds for my parents who only have a 4:3 tv, and when they play them, rather than being letterboxed they're stretched to the full height of the tv, and therefore distorted....
    I record 16:9 material and play it back on a 4:3 and it comes out letterboxed - no distortion. So I'm not seeing what you are. I burned the 30 Odd Foot of Grunts concert (Soundstage) just yesterday, and I just now went to the kids' TV to prove it worked. Could it be your DVD player? Do you have the latest version? I think CB replaced an assumption about aspect ratio to an analysis of the stream to do aspect ratio. That was v.4 I think.

--Dale--
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I've found the problem - user error I was using the wrong tool to burn the dvd, and the output from HDTV2DVD was just fine (in widescreen). So I'll just say again, thanks for the great program, and thanks for your reply Dale!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have only been into capturing HD content from my Motorola 6412 via CapDVHS for less than 6 months. Along the way I have learned a lot about the various topics from visiting different links, forums, etc. I must say that HDTV2DVD does simplify the process compared to what I was trying to do before, which was not working, to archive the content to DVD.

I am running into a problem, however, that does not seem to make sense. After capturing the HD content in .ts file format, it seems that HDTV2DVD will only accept certain .ts files for DVD authoring. I have no idea why it does this, when I drag the file into the Assets window, it "flinches" but does nothing.

There is no particuliar pattern to the files, they play fine in other programs in .ts format (e.g., mplayerc) and often come from the same newtwork source. Some are the raw files from CapDVHS and some have been edited with HDTVtoMPEG2 to cut out the commercials. In either of the cases mentioned, HDTV2DVD will accepts some and not the others.

My question is, am I missing something or does anyone have any insight to how I can correct this problem? Thanks....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "Rule" is that the files must be transport streams not program streams plus they should have a .tp or .ts file extension.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ChrissyBoy for the reply, but I am confused. The files are transport streams, all have the .ts files extension when the content is captured from CapDVHS, some being edited with HDTVtoMPEG2. I meant that other programs can play the files in the .ts format to validate the content. It is just that some files work with HDTV2DVD and others don't. Am I still missing something here?

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just because it has a .ts extension doesn't mean it is a transport stream. Take any old mpg (PS) and rename it to .ts and the same thing will happen. Is it possible that the output of HDTVtoMPEG2 is not always a TS?

Maybe try the HiDTV option:

The best way to get to the bottom of it is is you run ffmpeg from the folder where HDTV2DVD is installed at the command line:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\BadgerIT\HDTV2DVD>ffmpeg.exe -i "path to the file to analyse"
    for example:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\BadgerIT\HDTV2DVD>ffmpeg.exe -i "D:\DRIVE I\Test_Area\v2\HDTV\SAMPLE.ts"
    ffmpeg version CVS, build 3276800, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
      configuration:  --enable-a52 --enable-gpl --enable-memalign-hack --disable-debug --enable-vhook
      built on Sep 23 2005 15:20:26, gcc: 3.2.3 (mingw special 20030504-1)
    Input #0, mpegts, from 'D:\DRIVE I\Test_Area\v2\HDTV\SAMPLE.ts':
      Duration: 00:00:13.3, start: 19977.716256, bitrate: 3150 kb/s
      Stream #0.0[0x31], 29.97 fps: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 704x480, 15000 kb/s
      Stream #0.1[0x34]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
    Must supply at least one output file
    The mpegts is the important bit.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice Tool so far.. a bit difficult to get used to (drag and drop only) and it would be nice to be able toturn off the DVD VOB creation step. Runs pretty fast. I used it to convert my 24GB 1280x720 DD5.1 capture of the 2006 Rose Bowl Game (Hook 'em Horns!). But the quality of the final image is not as good as I'd like - I still have a lot of digital artifacts, aliasing, jaggies, stair stepping, barber polling, and shimmering whenever the camera pans or zooms across diagonal lines or high contrast patterns (like the logo on the field and the stands in the background). I've also gone a different route with some success - reencoding with TMPGEnc Express 3.0, but the quality is only marginally better there as well and it is slow. Anyone have the DEFINITIVE way to get past this ?? - I don't care how much compute time it takes - several XP3000 systems in a "video encoding/render rack".
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, The "supposed" rc .msi in sept. was working fine after the installation of clean dotNet1.1. Good job. I remember the problem with user folder defining in the installation had caused you (humor) frustration. -- mark
    Quote Quote  
  20. Anyone else's results a little jerky? Mine are definitely not smooth. It's not ridiculously annoying but just wondering.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does This app support multichannel sound .ts files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. It leaves the audio as is.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Just an fyi. This is a response from someone who did an analyzation of one of my HDTV2DVD projects. I knew something looked weird when I saw the finished product. Now I know what it is. I won't be using it any more until this is fixed.

The problem is, it looks like something went wrong with the pulldown removal or something else. Not sure, except to say that the "cadence" of this encode is screwed up with double-frames that don't change from one frame to the next. It's like you get frame 1, frame 2, frame 3, frame 4, frame 4, frame 5. There are repeated frames all over the place. This is very noticeable to the human eye at the start of the fourth vob file, but better yet, try opening the fourth vob in an editor or player and go one frame at a time forward. You will very quickly see the repeated frames occuring at regular intervals. Worse yet, the repeated frames look ever so-slightly different probably due to some sort of changes during the inter-frame compression of MPEG. Also, this cadence is not simply the 3:2 sequence of 24 fps film inserted into a 30 fps interlaced format. It seems something more is happening, but not sure what exactly. My guess is something happened in the workflow from capturing the interlaced 29.97 fps HDTV feed to encoding the MPEG2. There has been some discussion of this on alt.fan.blade-runner and there has also been a comparison to the DC-DVD (with an example of the cadence problem shown as an animated gif) at this page (which probably will be pulled down at some point soon, so take a look ASAP):
    http://www.jv-media.com/temp/br-comparison/
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have done alot of HDTV conversions, not (usually) to DVD but to XviD, and have noticed a number of problems:

1. My local ABC affiliate somehow converts its 720p programs to 1080i. Dunno why (or how) but these tend to confuse AutoGK which detects them as Hybrid, mostly FILM and wants to add a Decimate function, and the result is horrible. I use Force IVTC when Hybrid and then these programs look fine (Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Boston Legal).

2. When I record NBC's ER (a 1080i program) and try to convert it, AutoGK says it is completely interlaced and applies DeInt. This results in the 4th frame being duplicated as the 5th frame. Very repeatable. When I force IVTC onto such a program, then the Xvid comes-out perfect.

I only cite these as examples of wierdness associated w/broadcast HDTV. I CAN tell you that I did make a DVD of an ER episode, and while it looked OK to me I can't honestly say it doesn't have a repeating frame problem (I didn't look at it critically in all honesty).

I don't know how HDTV2DVD analyzes these streams and decides how to convert, but if indeed it does have problems with some-or-many than it has that in common with some other tools like AGK which uses DGMPGDec.

Re: "analyzation"! You mean "analysis". I know, cuz "anal" is my middle name!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chris,

Any thoughts about a command line version? I can see a gui serving a purpose for svcd but for hd there's not much to click. A couple of command line switches should do it.

--Dale--
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've successfully used CapDVHS to pull a stream off of my Motorola DVR/Cable box. I have a nice .ts file that plays just fine in Media Player classic.

HDTV2DVD is the exact tool I need to get the show to DVD, but when I drag the .ts file into the 'assets' tab, nothing at all happens.

At first, I thought that the problem was the fact that I didn't have .net 1.1 on my machine. So I found out that .net 2.0 was the latest and I installed that. No sucess. I read the early posts in this thread and tried the QuickStream fix in the trial version of VideoRedo and couldn't even get that to work. VideoRedo also gave me a pop-up error message (sorry, can't remember it at this moment)..

Is there a setting in CapDVHS that I can correct so that I can skip VideoRedo altogether? Is there another tool that will fix my .ts so that HDTV2DVD will take it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    digitalfreaknyc: I know how to fix this... waiting for a sample.

sengsational: I will see what i can do when i get some free time.

EndBoards: I refer you to https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1447002#1447002

From the "The best way to get to the bottom of it" bit down.... Can you post your output?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm not sure I understand everything in this thread...will this work with any hd tuner capture? I have an Avermedia a180 and the manufacturer's tech support has said nothing will recognize the audio stream. When I run the captures through Nero they transcode the video, but there is no audio. The original capture is in .mpg format. Is it correct that I just rename the .mpg to .ts and run it through this program and it should output a dvd-ready mpeg file, or am I missing a step or steps?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should do - if not the logs should tell us why not.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Well, that didn't work so well. Much like EndBoards, I did a quick cap, named it test.ts and dragged it to the asset window. Nothing happened. Then I followed your link to him and downloaded hdtvtompeg2 and tried that. I tried adding the .ts file and the program crashed. Any thoughts on what to try? I can't believe a tuner card would actually create captures that are impossible to put on dvd. Or is the Avermedia a180 'special?'
    Quote Quote