VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD with 4 episodes of the sopranos, under fair use policies, I can back them up on my hard drive. I would like to encode them to xvid to watch on my portable media player on the train.

My problem is, I don't want to convert all 4 episodes into ONE Xvid as most programs out there do,

I would like to encode each episode into it's own XVID format. How should I go about doing this?

Several years ago, I would use DVD2AVI to frameserve half the DVD to AVi and then encode it and burn on 2 CDRs. I tried that program again today and it didn't work! I loaded the IFo and the vobs, but it's just a black screen, no viideo.

The DVD is ripped with DVD Decryptor.

Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    try latest dgindex instead.

or use fairuse wizard and just select one title/episode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=625#625 might assist.

Another method would be to rip each episode seperately using DVDDecrypter in IFO mode with File-splitting set to none, then load each episode / VOB into AutoGK and let it work its magic. AutoGK can work in batch mode and if you know what you're doing, you can even write a batch file to rip each episode in turn as I described above. I have such a batch file somewhere, but I cannot locate it as yet to post as an example of how to do it.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's the problem:

1 VOB != 1 Episode.

There are a total of 4 VOBS each have no pattern as to episode start/end times.

The dvd simply skips to a certain chapter when a episode is selected, therefore, i have to use another method.

I can't rip a VOB and expect it to be 1 episode of the show, it may be the ending and beginning of one, or it may contain 1 episode and the beginning of another, etc.

Any other suggestiosn?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use IFO mode. It will sort out the episodes individually

It will use information in the IFO file to collate episodes that stretch over two (or more) VOBs (just like your DVD Player does when playing the episode) and just rip that particular episode out into it's own new VOB.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I am in the exact same process at this time, converting each episode of the Sopranos to XVID. I am converting them for iPAQ viewing, but the only difference between that and your use is the settings for AutoGK.

Here is what I am doing:

Rip disk to hard drive with Smart Ripper (any ripper will do as there is no funky copy protection other then CSS).
    Convert the title sets with VOB2MPG, which puts each episode into its own .mpg file.
    Load the .mpg files into AutoGK and convert. For PocketPC I use 320 as the fixed width and target size of 80MB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you're concerned about screwing up, then do it the more difficult way. Open up DVD Shrink and go into reauthor mode. Rip each individual episode and create its own ISO on your HD. There's 4 episodes on each dvd if not mistaken, they'll all be listed under Main Movie. I'd then mount them all under Alcohol 120% on their own virtual drives. Then, use DVD Decryptor in IFO mode and rip the files to HDD. Use AutoGK to encode to Divx or Xvid as you please. Works great and you can set it to however big or small output you like. I believe there's tutorials here on using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode with AutoGK. It's cake.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Convert the DVD back to MPEG and chop them out that way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Alright! Using all of your advice, I've managed to make an hour tv show 300mb without noticable quality loss!

I have Band of Brothers rips that have an accompanying *.sub file which shows up in Windows Media Player. I got a similar *.SUB file from DVD Decryptor for my sopranos rips.

The problem is, the bob subtitles appear in plain text when opened with notepad, the ones that dvd decrypter creates is in gibberish.

How can i get an accompanying subtitle file that will work on all 3 platforms, mac linux and windows?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Does anyone know how to rip subtitles from DVD track into plaintext *.sub file?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to dig up this topic but I have a specific question to ask about this...

First of all, thanks to everyone in this topic for their contributions, jimmalenko in particular for his guides and info on how to do this.

Is there any way to join two chapters (or epsidoes) into a single VOB file?

What I want to do is this: I have a TV show DVD that has the show's opening credits only once at the beginning of the DVD (I don't know why but this really annoys me) and what I want to do is insert the opening credits before each episode and then compress those down to MPG, AVI or whatever. I know how to do the latter using jimmalenko's information but does anyone know if it's possible to combine the two things when doing this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use DVDShrink in reauthor mode and the Start/End feature to isolate the credits scene and output this. Rip the episodes in IFO Mode with file-splitting set to none. Then follow http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/test.htm . So long as the VOBs all have the same characteristics (same audio streams, etc etc) this should work.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot! I'll give that method a shot next time I have a free afternoon.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote