VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    * I have The Blue Planet documentary DVD series. It's not mentioned anywhere on the cover that it has subtiltes.
    * The subtitles options is disabled (grayed-out) in PC DVD player programs like PowerDVD.
    * The subtitles button on my DVD player remote does not work.

For all the above reasons I was sure there were no subtitles on those DVDs ... until Yesterday!

Yesterday I used CyberLink PowerProducer 2 Gold to make a back-up copy of one of those DVDs. To my great surprise, it displayed subtiltels (or captions) of everything the narrator says!

My question:
    How can I rip those subtitles?

When I select one of the DVD's VOB files in SubRip, I get the message "Closed Captions detected (1x)." But when I click Start button, SubRip doesn't get any subtitles. Also, when I use Verify button, SubRip scans the file while dispalying "0 subtitles found".

I'll appreicate it very much if someone can tell me how I can rip those subtitles, or closed captions, whatever they are.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't rip CC because it's embedded in the video,subtitles are different because they are added to the substream.Use VOBEdit or DVDDecrypter(IFO Mode) to rip subtitles.
    www.robson.org/capfaq/overview.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes you can, although it's a bit complicated. Check out McPoodle43's SCCTools http://www.geocities.com/mcpoodle43/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML

With it, I successfully took a BetaSP tape, converted to MPEG, extracted line21, converted the raw CC to a Subtitle format, edited subs, added mpeg, line21, subs, and audio to Maestro to create a DVD that had Subs & Closed Captions (for Gov't agency)--worked great!

Carefully follow the detailed guides...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. All in Wonder video cards can extract captions to lots of formats, doc, text, html, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks MOVIEGEEK.

Thank you very much Scott for the info and the link to the useful guide. Although the process seems to be a bit complicated, I'll try it.

Thank you handyguy for the tip. I have ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV, how can I use it to extract closed captions? Which software to use? Are there any guides that explain the process step by step?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The program VOBSUB can rip the CC data stream from a .VOB file. It is extracted into a "raw" format, which McPoodle's tools can eventually get to readable text (with the CC timing).
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is really good Stuff. Now I will try to extract the CC from some laser disk movies and add subtitles to my backups.

I also have a ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV. Thanks handyguy. When you have time please give us some tips on how to use an AIW card to extract CC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Its been a while since I used the ATI card. The capture captions function is part of the media software.

Also:
    http://www.captions.org/softlinks.cfm
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had also been trying to get CC to display. I now extract the CC on mpeg2 files with mpg2srt_ver0.3 found at http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/attachment/wiki/SageFaq/mpg2srt_ver0.3.zip
    It is a drag and drop file. Then I use Baldricks How to add permanent subtitle to a video with virtualdub and VOBsub.

If I could do it faster with Vobsub only as SLK001 says and not have to use mpg2srt that would be great.
    "EL EXTRANJERO ME SIENTO"
    ENRIQUE BUNBURY
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did it!

Thanks for all who helped, especially SLK001, handyguy and dvasco.

Special thanks to Scott (Cornucopia). I used the method described in the guide he provided the link for, and it worked perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a private message asking me how I did it, so, here's how, it's very easy:

1- Launch the VobSub Ripper Wizard. Click the Load IFO button and browse to the IFO file you copied. Then click the Save To button and select the directory to store the captions in, then click Next.

2 - You will now see a dialog screen to select which streams you wish to process. By default, everything will be selected. If you don't want the DVD's subtitles, unselect everything. A checkbox controls whether the closed captions will be extracted. If it is unchecked when the dialog first appears, this probably means that the tool cannot find any captions.

3 - Click on the Next button to start the extract process. The speed of this depends on the speed of your DVD drive.

4 - If you go to the directory you selected in Step 1, you will see a few files, the one that has the ripped captions is VTS_01_0.cc.srt (assuming you ripped VTS_01).

That's it! Open that file with a program like Subtitle Workshop and do whatever you want to it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're welcome! However, real thanks ought to go to McPoodle who provided/created the apps/methods...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. This method, with some modifications, will apparently work for ATI cards, but there are a couple issues.

1. ATI only gets the captions from the COAX input, not from the S-Video or Composite. I find quality is significantly degraded by this.

2. ATI will capture the captions to a text or other file, but with no timing information, just the text!!! Now, who the hell designed that?

3. There is a Graphedit method which is said to work, but seems to require 2 passes, one for video and one for captions.

I have not messed with this as it is more of a curiosity than something I need, changing the cable input is not easily feasable, and capturing live TV creates problems with the 2 passes needed.

Many shows do repeat, however, and I do have an unused Coax output
    from the receiver. One of these days when I'm bored I may decide to give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  14. First let me thank you guys for another wonderful, time-consuming project.

Now, does anybody have a good link for Graphedit error messages?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, I got through the error messages only to discover that it just doesn't seem to work. Have not tried extracting from a VCR file, though playback seems to indicate the captions are not contained?

What IS interesting is that the ATI captions capture file DOES in fact contain timing information along with the text. Not sure if it is in any recognizable format, but the text is there along with the timecodes. That should mean that some sort of conversion is possible.

McPoodle has a page where he requests samples of other formats for possible conversion utilities, I am in fact somewhat surprised there is not one for ATI. He lists some Hauppage utils. I wonder if these timecodes represent a fairly recent change, I had always read there were not any, though this is the first time I actually examined the file.

Oh, goody, another project.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well, here's what I got so far.

The ATI format seems closest to SRT format.

Time code values have a final digit seperated by a period, which does not appear to be a frame number, for test purposes I have been multiplying by 10 and changing the period to a comma.

The two time codes are seperated by a comma, rather than the SRT format " ---> ".

The seperate caption paragraphs have to be numbered.

The header information needs to be removed.

These changes should be easy to automate.

The utility Subrip2scc will accept the edited file and give what appears to be a valid output. It keeps saying "forced to shorten start of subtitle 1"
    for each line. Not sure why.

I have not tested this output as a subtitle file, for one thing I have never made one and learning that process will most likely introduce other errors into the conversion.

Am currently manually editing the file, I no longer have any programming tools to test automating the first-level conversion. If anyone would like a copy, I would be more than happy to send one.

Can also generate a short test file with corresponding video, 30 seconds or so, for more complete testing.

This conversion certainly appears to be doable. All the required information is there. The only thing actually missing is the frame numbers that SRT has, these apparently are for fine-tuning the duration.
    Do not know what the last digits in the ATI file are, in SRT they go up to 900, which would make sense for 10 seconds (the CC buffer) at 30 frames per second. The ATI values appear to be less than 100, that's why I just arbitrarily multiplied by 10.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvasco
    I had also been trying to get CC to display. I now extract the CC on mpeg2 files with mpg2srt_ver0.3 found at http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/attachment/wiki/SageFaq/mpg2srt_ver0.3.zip
    It is a drag and drop file. Then I use Baldricks How to add permanent subtitle to a video with virtualdub and VOBsub.

If I could do it faster with Vobsub only as SLK001 says and not have to use mpg2srt that would be great.
    Thanks dvasco... been messing around with a program like this (probably that same one) but this seems to work! BTW, you can also command line it...

EDIT:
    Apperently I was using version 0.2... 0.3 seems to work better
    Quote Quote  
  18. Nelson37 Just wondering if your still working on this ATIVCR CC file?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've experimented with changing the .cc file by trying to make it a .srt. I recieve the same results when played back on the computer with the timing still showing up strange.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. However according to the ati documentation the .cc is for viewing in notepad or something to find a specific part of the movie your looking at. I'm wondering if the timecodes are even very accurate.

I'm a bit new to subtitles so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just happened onto this thread, as I needed to rip some CC's from a DVD.

Thanks to all for the info. I used the Vobsub ripper and it was quite simple a task.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I gave up on conversion of the ATI format, also on capturing simultaneously with Graphedit. This apparently cannot be done with ATI cards.

Also found that the ATI CC capture DOES work with S-video, My Sima CM was apparently removing the captions.

What I do now is cap a VCR file, drop it into Graphedit, add the dump filter and connect to the CC pin, and play. Then use McPoodles Raw2SCC converter, the trick is you need to add the first four characters from a valid bin file (examples) before conversion. Then run CCASDI with the "-S" switch to convert to SRT format. A batch file automates this nicely.

Been working on a Guide for this, mainly trying to perfect a method for cutting commercials from the video and subtitles. A royal PITA, but workable, there just has to be a simpler way.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Then use McPoodles Raw2SCC converter, the trick is you need to add the first four characters from a valid bin file (examples) before conversion.
    I thought that McPoodle had eliminated the need for the first 4 bytes to be "FFFF". I know that he shortened the requirement to be "FF", because I had mentioned to him that some cards only put out the twin "F"s.

Closed captions can be a pain in the ass, since the only place they reside is in the USER DATA part of the MPEG2 stream. They aren't human viewable until way into the conversion process.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hasn't been all that long ago I DL'd the files, conversion gives blank output without adding the four F's. I just made a little batch file with the binary copy switch.

Was hoping Comskip might work with the subtitles, but no go. Have developed a workable method for editing but it is way to tedious.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Vob sub rip and when it works right? it works very well and very quickly. gives you a bunch of srt files some include the # 16 others the# 8. One has no # that is tyhe one I use. can be edited in Notepad or many other programs specifically for that purpose. Use srt to Sup to make it usable by Mux programs. Afterwards DVDSubedit can be used to change colors and move it around the screen. Sometimes VSrip will not rip all of the CC. Don't know why and don't know what to do about it. Googled CC and downloaded every program I could find. Have about 20. They all do different things but nothing works as easy as VSrip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great help, guys. Do you know how much transcripts cost these days?:]
    Quote Quote  
  26. For those who may be interested, I have finally solved both of my problems with capturing closed captions and converting to subtitles.

I have written two applications which are in need of some beta testers.

1- ATI2SRT - this converts the ATI CC file to an SRT file. Display timing and duration adjustments, line doubling

2.SRTCUT - this currently only works with an EDL file to edit out the commercial breaks in a subtitle file. EDL file created by Comskip. Other programs cutlists, particularly VideoRedo, currently in progress.

These are small, simple command-line utilities with NO frills, but they do work. Have run 5-6 sample files of different types through each with acceptable output.

Anyone interested in doing some additional testing and providing some feedback please send me a PM and I will send you a demo copy with some instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I believe that http://www.google.com/ keeps CC transcripts somewhere,after all you can search them.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37, I just wonder where I can get a copy of your ATI2SRT? I've been studying on ATI's .cc format for couple of days, and find it very hard to connect with subrip format, in term of the duration and line number (separate lines...). Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. yeah, the in and out times are often very close or even overlap, this causes the upcoming line to fail to display. Had to do a fair amount of timing adjustment, even after combining the single line entries to two lines per.

It is still not perfect, some display times are too short. But at least they almost all show up, I may work on removing all the "sound effects" lines, or "hearing impaired" entries, but not everything in parantheses is a sound effect and this may not solve the timing issues completely.

Can you confirm your E-mail address in another PM? Got "undeliverable" on the current one.
    Quote Quote