VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm hoping you can help me out here.

I tried tranferring a show using my friend's DVD recorder (the brand eludes me), and it went fine. It plays on her recorder nicely. But it will not work on any of my 4 computer DVD drives or two standalone DVD players. I tried again with different brands, but the discs won't be read.

Frustrated, I bought my own (A Cyberhome DVR 1600 - yes, the cheap one) and after recording some movies (once again, they play back fine on the recorder itself, it still is unreadable.

I've tried three different brands, even a -R, and different methods of recording, but these DVDs will not be read! I'm using a brand new (literally less then a day old Sony DVD drive to read them, and it still shows up as no disc.

I'm going crazy here. My friends player and my player are entirely different brands (and not the kind of players where they are really identical under different names), but the discs they produce are unusable to me. The killer is that the DVDs from my friends recorder actually DO work on my recorded, but they're useless unlss I can get them to my harddrive.

So what is the problem here? I'm planning to return my recorder and buy a more expensive one, but I don't know if even that will solve my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you finalising each disc before trying to play it on a regular player? DVD+R and -R must be finalised before they will play in any other machine besides the original recorder. DVD+RW and -RW do not as they are rewritable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what is the problem here?
    You not reading the manual supplied with your machine?
    Oscar.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Man, I feel so f-ing stupid right now.

OK, more help please? I finalize the disc. It plays fine on my standalone players, and in WinDVD on my computer. But when I copy it over, nothing will read the .VOB files. VirtualDubMOD can't recognize the file, nor can DVD2AVI.

I can open it in VOBedit and demux the video stream, but VirtualDubMOD and DVD2AVI both display the video as a small video (320x480 I think?), and the entire screen only shows the top left 1/4 of the video.

What do I do about this? I attatched an image for better understanding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD Decrypter to copy your DVDs into your computer. Just make sure that you create one VOB file. Check the guides for more detail.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RowMan
    Are you finalising each disc before trying to play it on a regular player? DVD+R and -R must be finalised before they will play in any other machine besides the original recorder. DVD+RW and -RW do not as they are rewritable.
    The DVD-RW has to be finalized too. I forgot one time, and nothing showed up on the disc.

Originally Posted by ofbarea
    Just make sure that you create one VOB file.
    can you explain what you mean?
    I use DVD Decrypter all the time. I rip to my hard drive as separate VOB files then trim out commercials.
    Quote Quote