VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well, I d/l'ed a big movie off a torrent file. It is 1.60 GB and there are two files. VTS_01_1.VOB, and VTS_01_2.VOB. They are the ones I use to play the video. It works on both WMP and cineplayer. There are also 2 small IFO and and BUP files that I have no idea what they are for.

Anyways, The quality is ok and all that. WMP tells me that the video size is 640x480 in properties. When I resize the movie screen and make it smaller, it is sharper. When I make it bigger, its more blurry and degraded, as you might expect.

Well, I want to burn this movie to a DVD. Is there anything I can do to make it sharper at higher resolutions? I want it to be viewable on a tv screen. Not all blurry and garbled.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try lanczos resize, sharpen and deblocking filters with virtualdub and see how it looks like but if your source is very bad you can't do much.

Download smart sharpen and deblocking filters from http://www.compression.ru/video/index_en.htm .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. Nothing can be done for this issue this time.
    Garbage in, garbage out.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. The .VOB files wont open in virtual dub. It says:

MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 steam

Whats wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. virtual dub mod worked. Well I tried the sharpen thing and I couldnt really tell if it was gonna make it better to watch or not. just amde it sharper lol. the d-block thing didnt seem to do anything.

not sure what else to try. thanks tho.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're mostly trying in vain. Filters, while they can help improve video, must stil have mildly decent source. Some things are too far gone, this sounds like one of them.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    You're mostly trying in vain. Filters, while they can help improve video, must stil have mildly decent source. Some things are too far gone, this sounds like one of them.
    The way I see it: filtering is an attempt to hide defects (bad exposure, colors, noise, etc), it doesn't really improve the picture.
    Quote Quote