VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, How to open .MP4 files in virtualdub? it says file is not supported or something.. i hope there's a plugin that allows me to open .mp4 files

The reason i want to open it in virtualdub is so that i can run a sharpen filter for the mp4 video. this is so tahti can watch on my PSP.

i figured tha ti can convert the mp4 to avi then sharpen, but it would lose alot of quality that way.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use AVIcodec or Gspot and drop the file into them. This will tell you the codec needed. You check on video codecs in the 'Tools' section to the left and install it, and VD should be able to open it. You will have to re-encode if you use the filters, but with care the quality lose can be minimal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use this program. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/ It changes the file to avi (no recompression, just telling the player how to handle it) so that VDub can recognize it. Use the batch (many to many) option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just for information: MPEG-4 comes in many 'flavors'. It can be Quicktime, DivX, Xvid, 3ivX and a few more. The audio can also have several formats, MP3, Oog, AC3, PCM, and others. The best way to find out what you have and what codec is needed to open it is Gspot, AVIcodec or similar programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For mp4 it doesn't matter if it is quicktime, DivX, XviD, 3ivX, etc. it is all just stored as native MPEG4 video and are all treated just the same.

ogg vorbis, AC3, etc. would need to be stored as private streams as they are not part of mp4 specs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. None of the above mentioned methods work, by the way.
    Even if you have the necessary codecs installed, vdub will not open it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Demux
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Get an MP4 (container) source filter and use a recent VirtualDub. See the last post on this page:

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?s=43b1e5503ee6baa8b85866ddf58b64b6&act=ST&f=7&t=14639&st=105

And a direct link:

http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin
    Wow, thanks. Terrific! Very happy with this.
    mp4/x264 are extremely popular in my surroundings, and I hated having to mess with mp4box time and again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know if they above solution works with virtualbud 1.8.6.

I have downloaded that source filter and installed it like this " Quicktime.vdplugin" should go in your plugins32 folder and "Quicktime.ini" should go in the VirtualDub root folder. Now when i open a video.mp4 i get the message .... unable to initialize quicktime: Initializeqtml. Can anyone tell me where the plugin32 folder should be located. Should that be in the root of the folder or in the plugins folder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348265.html
    directshow plugin for virtualdubwhich lets you load anything as long as you have splitters/codecs necessary to play the file in windows media player.

the qt plugin does not work with all mp4 files.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh great.. thanks for the tip MGH much appreciated going to try it out right away!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello theres this problem driving me nuts :
    I cant find a way to open mp4 files in virtualdub.
    Tried anything i could find in these forums, but nothing works.

Have input plugins installed in virtualdub (directshow, quicktime etc)
    Also all necessary codecs are installed like H264 etc

The file plays fine in any mediaplayer, opening in vdub doesnt work
    properly, but when playing the video in vdub, it *does*show fine although any exporting/conversion results in
    grey, skewed distorted picture.

Also, the "ask for extended options" never shows up when selected before opening a file...

Any help would be highly appreciated ofcourse

this is how it looks when playing in vdub, as it should bethis is how it looks when vdub does not play, or after conversion/exportgspot report of the mp4 file
    Last edited by timbre; 11th Feb 2010 at 04:42.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly because of the file dimensions - 470*360. 470 is not divisible by 4, causes problems in some decoders.
    Not sure how to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. crop to a divisible by 4 ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See this thread from a year ago. It's one I opened regarding a similar tearing problem.
    In the thread it was noticed that the FFDShow H.264 decoder could handle the video properly,
    while CoreAVC was causing the tearing.

Try disabling the DIVX H.264 decoder, and enable H264 in FFDshow

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/302391-crop-in-avisynth-causing-tearing?highlight=coreavc
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I guess I'm just not seeing the consensus here but would someone be willing to tell me how to get virtual dub to open mp4 files? (without linking to somewhere else, preferably)

I have tried a variety of plugins, and I guess I am not using them properly.

This is the file in question from Mediainfo.

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 54.7 MiB
    Duration : 7mn 9s
    Overall bit rate : 1 069 Kbps
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-10-29 01:14:14

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Baseline@2.2
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.136
    Stream size : 51.2 MiB (94%)
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-10-29 01:14:14

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : LC
    Format settings, SBR : No
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 64.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 3.28 MiB (6%)
    Windows media plays the file fine, direct show input driver will not open it. Nor will anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need the directshow Vdub plugin (mentioned above), H264 decoder on your system (coreavc OR ffdshow OR divx h264 decoder),
    and perhaps Haali media splitter.

In Virtualdub select file/open. Select the file, and in "files of type" select the directshow plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    That's insufficient, I don't want options I want a confirmed working path. I have ffdshow tryouts x64, the direct show plugin and the proper codecs (the files play in wmp). Still, the file in question will not open.

Is there a working alternative to virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you want something that works consistently regardless of various system installed filters/codec, load your files with avisynth into virtualdub using ffmpegsource2

avidemux is another alternative to vdub
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the Avidemux link. Worked perfectly for me. Kept getting dropped audio and also had to convert to MPEG-I to allow files to be edited in VDub: this allows opening of any file I have (so far)!
    Much appreciated.
    TH
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    Use this program. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/ It changes the file to avi (no recompression, just telling the player how to handle it) so that VDub can recognize it. Use the batch (many to many) option.
    That works here. Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  22. EDIT: Actually installing recent x264VfW from http://www.free-codecs.com/x264_VfW_download.htm doesn't work for me:

Need to convert to AVI but it seems to preserve quality:

(thanks for advice)
    Last edited by stefek99; 8th May 2012 at 05:43. Reason: checked resolution and didn't work for me
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by bayme View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Get an MP4 (container) source filter and use a recent VirtualDub. See the last post on this page:

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=14639&st=105

And a direct link:

http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin
    Wow, thanks. Terrific! Very happy with this.
    mp4/x264 are extremely popular in my surroundings, and I hated having to mess with mp4box time and again.
    Can this program be made to select mp4 files? My virtualdub WILL process them.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just came across this plugin today, and i'm surprised that no one mentioned it before in the forum.

FFmpeg Input Driver

As mentioned on its page (http://codecpack.co/download/FFInputDriver.html), FFmpeg Input Driver can handle 31 different file formats:

VirtualDub, as stand-alone, cannot handle .mkv, .mp4, .flv, .mov or any other files besides .avi. You need a plugin or plugins to load anything else besides .avi. FFmpeg Input Driver will open and edit Matroska Container (MKV), MP4, FLV and other video files in VirtualDub. FFmpeg Input Driver can handle 31 different file formats. The plugin is based, as the name may suggest, of the FFmpeg libraries. - This plugin pack requires VirtualDub. To install FFInputDriver just place the unarchived package under VirtualDub program directory.

Features:
    - Supported YUV420P, Y8, UYVY, YUYV, RGB555, RGB565, RGB888 color spaces;
    - Simple downmix of multichannel audio stream alg implemented;
    - Both video and audio are always decompressed;
    - Implemented Media File Information dialog (File->File Information) for the first video / audio stream in the container file;
    - Source solution for vs2010 included (but earlier versions of the VS can be used);
    - Opening file formats: anm; asf; avi; bik; dts; dxa; flv; fli; flc; flx; h261; h263; h264; m4v; mkv; mjp; mlp; mov; mp4; 3gp; 3g2; mj2; mvi; pmp; rm; rmvb; rpl; smk; swf; vc1; wmv; ts; vob; mts; m2ts; m2t;*.mxf;*.ogm;*.qt;*.tp;*.dvr-ms;*.amv
    FFmpeg Input Driver has x86 and x64 versions and its page has links for download the latest version.
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ilanio View Post
    Just came across this plugin today, and i'm surprised that no one mentioned it before in the forum.

FFmpeg Input Driver
    You are kidding alright
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

You are kidding alright
    Nop!

And it works very well...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Aah, the power of forums!

I had an .mp4 file of just more than three and a half hours long - 3.17 Gb - from which I needed to separate the audio and convert it to .wav. I normally use NHC's Switch File Converter for this, but in this case the file was probably too long or large, with the result that it would only return part of the file in converted format.

When Switch wouldn't work I tried VirtualDub, as I had used it in the past, but it wouldn't open the .mp4 file. When I googled for a solution I ended up on this forum, where I found the solution provided by boosted in post #3. I simply downloaded the program and ran the file, and hey presto! The file got divided into two shorter ones - split a couple of seconds before the end of the previous, incomplete version - and Switch had no problems converting either of them!

Once again my azz gets saved by a stranger on a forum!
    Quote Quote