VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've asked this question since I just went to record a VHS to DVD. I suspect that a scratched Beta would have the same result although I don't recall seeing it.

When I say scratched tape, If you were to open the door of the cassette you would see a horizontal ridge in the tape which I believe is caused by something lodging in the mechanism of the cassette where the tape runs over those metal posts that the tape runs over.

On playback of this tape I see a horizontal line of noise across the screen where the scratch affects playback.

What I was thinking is: Is there software that can either interpolate with reasonable speed from above and below the damage to fill it in, Or possibly just be set to remove those few scan lines and hopefully it won't be noticable? Inexpensively too. I Am on a budget and it's blown from buying the Pioneer DVD Recorder and The JVC VCR I'm planning on getting in the next few days.

Thanks for any help And Thanks to all that have helped in the Past!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is an avisynth filter call descratch that might be able to fix it if the position of the problem remains pretty constant. Budget wise it suits (free), but I can't vouch for the results or the speed. That's up to you to test out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So it looks like I'll have to learn avisynth after all. I have looked at it but it seemed complicated to me.

Yup the scratch remains constant because it is related to a physical samage to the tape.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also look at avsedit, which can help you with the coding
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing i know of will remove those scan lines with any good results.I"ve tried with stationary lines and it just looks like crap,tried dozens of filters and i just cant see that its worth trying.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a website where you can post a small sample of the file ... it would only have to be like maybe 5 to 10 seconds long.

I could download it and play with it and AviSynth.

Then if I find something good give you the code.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. FulciLives, Thanks for the offer....

Unfortunately I didn't save it, as it was anoying to watch. Also no website. However if/when I remember which one it was I'll have to run it through the ADVC-100 and output a AVI. I was doing a VHS to DVD on a Pioneer DVR-531H when I saw it. And that was the other reason I dumped it. MPEG2 isn't a good place to start for repairs.

I have to say that with the adjustments that I can make with this Recorder before I record I think I can save a lot of time vs using the computer where I was able to do amybe one tape a day and that was if I didn't use the computer for anything else.

So to get back on track I will keep your kind offer in mind for when my mind throws up what tape it was. I use a simple system for what I've already transferred, I write "To DVD" in red sharpie on it. Since I'm keeping them anyway in case technology gets even better in the future.

Thanks
    Roger T
    Quote Quote