VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I try to open an avi in sound forge to extract the audio as a wav file (some of my vid's won't extract in full processing mode with VirtualDub), I get the error that the file is an unsupported format. From what I read, I thought Sound Forge could open an avi. Am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are over 50 types of avi files .... what kind is it ?

many SF will not open ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not sure if this is what your asking (i'm a noob), but they are movies which are either xvid or divx with mp3 or ac3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sf will not open ac3 either ..

sfhas problems opening divx or xvid , though if you have the right codecs installed and set up , often changing the 4CC to DiVX/DiVX will work ...

i would just use virtualdub, specially if the audio is mp3 VBR , which sf also doesnt handle - or try goldwave
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. It needs the plugin it is prompting for and it needs to be purchased. Can't remember the name of codec Video Concepts or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you guys! i'll check out goldwave...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INFRATOM
    It needs the plugin it is prompting for and it needs to be purchased. Can't remember the name of codec Video Concepts or something like that.
    there is no plug in you need to purchase for opening avi files
    Quote Quote