VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some episodes and their external greek subtitles in .srt format. I have in my pc Windows XP Home Greek and when I open the avi file the Greek fonts of the greek subtitles appear correctly. I use the DirectVobSub filter.
    Now in my husbands pc (he has Windows ME English) using again the DirectVobSub filter the greek subs appear in un readable fonts. He also opened the .srt file of the subtitles and the greek fonts there are also unreadable. What can we do to fix this problem? What does he have to change so that he can see the correct greek fonts while playing the avi file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your husband's OS/Word-processing program needs Greek language support, which you happen to have but he doesn't. When you open .srt subtitle file, wordpad opens it. So unless language support is provided, it can't render the language.

Alternatively you can convert the .srt file in your computer to bitmap (.idx) subs and use that with the video file. Bitmaps are picture elements - not text - and so will be shown correctly.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar problem. I can see the Greek subtitles correctly in my PC, but when I try to see the same thing on my standalone DVD player that plays Divx movies, the subtitles are just unreadable (funny characters appear on the screen). Do I have to convert them into an other format so that my DVD player can read them? My player is LG LH-T360SE and I use srt subtitle format.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi orentios

Your problem is covered by my reply above.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some standalone DVD players that support Divx only work with limited character sets. For example, I have the Philips DVP-642 and it only can display Latin and Cyrillic character sets. That's it. If your LG player has similar restrictions, you need to follow ukb007's advice and convert the subtitles to idx format and hopefully your player will display those for Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No need to do that. I found in my LG DVD player that if I keep pressed the subtitles button for about three seconds I can then change the character set. I found the greek one... so no problem any more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello, I bought my LG tv from Australia. I downloaded some greek subtitles (SRT files) for some movies. When I play the movies from my external hard drive the tv doesn't recognize the subs and they appear in a weird language. If the subs are in english I have no problem. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't dig up old threads.

TVs and DVD and BluRay players often only support limited subsets of subtitles, so I'm not surprised at all that an Aussie TV doesn't like Greek subs. Try converting them to Unicode, but that probably won't work either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. how can i convert them to unicode or bitmap (.idx)?
    Quote Quote