VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can i use composite cable (Red-Yellow-White) on dvd component input (Y-Pb-Pr) and switch my dvd to progressive scan?
    i have tried, but my tv went black... even if i switched to interlace mode...
    or should i have component cable on component input?
    is there any quality difference between using Composite cable & component cable in interlaced mode?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean can you use something like three RCA cables in place of a component cable, yes, probably. But not recommended. Some component setups may have problems. Make sure they are plugged into the proper sockets on both ends.

Unless you have a progressive scan TV, yes it will probably go black if a progressive signal is fed into a non-progressive display. Even if you have a progressive scan TV, you may have a setting to change in the TV menu to activate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Y, Pr, Pr cables have 3x 75 ohm coax. For progressive scan these run at over 20MHz bandwidth vs ~5-8MHz for normal composite video.

Component cables come in wideband (double shielded) quality. These should be used for 480p and HDTV.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1717306
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2625044

Normal bandwidth (similar to yellow RCA cable) component analog cables are available under $10. These are intended for 480i (intelaced) connections from DVD players to analog TV sets. They can be used with low end HD ready sets where native resolution is low but this is not optimizing your set's capability.

http://www.tictap.com/s/B0001GAMQK

Never use audio cables for component TV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ic.. let's say, i have this equipments:
    dvd player w/ progressive scan feature, standard AV cable (Red-Yellow-White), non-progressive TV set w/ dvd component input.
    a) What happen if i use AV Cable to connect dvd component output into tv component input? Is it possible to switch to progressive mode? if in interlaced-mode, did the picture quality better than connect the AV cable into standard composite dvd & tv I/O?

b) in interlace-mode, which picture quality is better, using AV cable or Component Cable? (both cables are attach to Component I/O, and assumed that the tv can display the picture)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wolvie
    ic.. let's say, i have this equipments:
    dvd player w/ progressive scan feature, standard AV cable (Red-Yellow-White), non-progressive TV set w/ dvd component input.
    a) What happen if i use AV Cable to connect dvd component output into tv component input?
    Use the good coax cable (yellow connector) for Y. You would be using audio twisted pair instead of coax for Pb and Pr. It may work over short distance but would be so tacky. You should use a tripple coax like this one.

http://www.tictap.com/s/B0001GAMQK

Is it possible to switch to progressive mode?
    No and it may damage your TV or DVD player if you do.

if in interlaced-mode, did the picture quality better than connect the AV cable into standard composite dvd & tv I/O?
    Component Y, Pb, Pr is the best connection
    S-Video is next best
    Composite is next
    RF is lowest (except when coming from antenna or cable provider)

b) in interlace-mode, which picture quality is better, using AV cable or Component Cable? (both cables are attach to Component I/O, and assumed that the tv can display the picture)
    As said, component is best. It avoids modulation of color components around a subcarrier. The signal is pure. Low end TV sets may not show a dramatic difference.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi guys,

My question is if I can use a component cable in a composite connection?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A component cable set has 3x 75 ohm coax cables each one similar to a composite (yellow) cable.
    Quote Quote  
  8. edDV thanks for the answer.

I noted that the price of a set of 3 Acoustic Research Master series component cables is cheaper than buying 3 individual composite cables.
    Quote Quote  
  9. edDV thanks for the answer.

I noted that the price of a set of 3 Acoustic Research Master series component cables is cheaper than buying 3 individual composite cables.
    Quote Quote