VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm kind of easing into video editing, and burning to DVD. Previously I was using Movie Maker from Microsoft, but I was only able to burn to CD and the quality was horrible, and could only be played using Windows Media Player.

I'm using the trial version of Video Studio 9, but so far I'm not too impressed. Maybe the trial version isn't full featured. Does anyone know if there are free templates available for Video Studio? My trial version comes with a very limited selection.

I'm excited about getting into DVD editing and I know there are many tools available, but I think I'd like to start with a tool like Video Studio that does it all. Thanks for your input!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're right in saying that Windows Movie Maker can only do VCD and SVCD, but Movie Maker 2 (a free download from the Microsloth website) can do DVD too. Give that a try if you are already familiar with WMM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be specific on your concerns with Video Studio 9.
    What specifically are you wanting to do.

In VS you edit a timeline under a DVD project spec and then select "share" then "create disc" and that puts you into the DVD authoring application.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I must be missing something regarding Movie Maker. I have version 2.1 and I'm almost positive there is no option for saving to DVD. I didn't find the web site for Microsloth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV,
    I am able to create a DVD without a problem using Video Studio 9, but the interface and the navigation seems klunky compared to other software applications. I've also had some problems converting wmv files. It fails every time without a meaningful error msg. My intent is to purchase something like Video Studio, but not sure if this is the product that I'm going to buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMM2 will not do MPeg2 for DVD. For a quality DVD you would need to edit in DV format and then open the file in a DVD authoring program.

WMV output is possible as well if you save to a higest quality WMV and then use a DVD authoring program that accepts WMV input. In the future WMM2 is suposed to support HIMAT video format to DVD which is supposed to be the simplified solution.

I'd recommend staying in DV-AVI format if you are looking for quality.

Ulead VS9 will work in DV or MPeg2 formats for capture and editing. You didn't mention what you are capturing or the power of your computer.

Other programs to check out include

Sony Vegas Movie Studio (a subset of the full Vegas)
    Abobe Premiere Elements (DV format to DVD solution only)
    Pinnacle Studio 9 (some like me feel this product is excessively buggy)

and then ther's the TMPGEnc Suite (try the easy pack)
    http://www.tmpg-inc.com/product/index.html

These are also availabe in stores under the TSUNAMI Brand
    http://www.tmpg-inc.com/shopping/deps.html

These used to be somewhat geeky but have evolved into suite for the general user.

all of the above have demo downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to give the Vegas Movie Studio a try. I read some of the reviews, and it sounds interesting. Thanks everyone!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that the trial download is only for Vegas Movie Studio, not Vegas Movie Studio +DVD. Does anyone know if the +DVD is available for trial use? I downloaded the other one and it can only burn to CD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stockcerts
    I just realized that the trial download is only for Vegas Movie Studio, not Vegas Movie Studio +DVD. Does anyone know if the +DVD is available for trial use? I downloaded the other one and it can only burn to CD.
    It's just one product for Movie Studio version.
    http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV,

The problem is the download doesn't have the ability to burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stockcerts
    I didn't find the web site for Microsloth.
    Sorry for the confusion, Microsoft, aka Microsloth due to the lightning speed of the software......
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Richard,
    I'm still a little lost in regard to Movie Maker having the ability to burn to DVD. I have version 2.1, and I haven't seen anywhere on their site indicating the functionality you're talking about. I actually like Movie Maker, but unless it has or soon gets the ability to burn to DVD I'm going to look for a replacement. Thanks!
    Quote Quote