VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. great idea!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, but has anyone any suggestions for an application to capture streaming media on a 64-bit XP Pro PC please?

Stephen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SDP for .asx and .asf files.

ZDsoft Screen Recorder for the rest. I think you can download the last freeware version from download.com, but if not you can ask me for it. Don't update it because it isn't free anymore too bad.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm.....interesting disclaimer from that site:

"Please note that ACA Capture Pro is not intended for re-recording of other video clips from the screen (e.g. playing in Media Player, RealVideo, QuickTime, or other stream video etc.), but rather for creating regular software presentations, tutorial, demos etc.. If you still want to try it for re-recording other movie clips, please read on for some tips, but do not complain if it won't work for you. We do not support this function."

Luckily Replay AV does support those functions:

http://www.applian.com/replay-av/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Still looking for a converter from FLV to AVI or MPG or even elementary streams.

Help?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ssalim
    Still looking for a converter from FLV to AVI
    Get an FLV Splitter, install ffdshow and enable the FLV1 decoder, install AVISynth, then use VirtualDubMod or your AVI encoder of choice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you know that Windows Media Encoder 9 can capture screen activity with sound too?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    convert files online after downloaded
    www.zamzar.com
    .:]{ad}[:.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote  
  9. Hello all.

I am not very computer literate and am trying to save some youtube videos to my computer, but I'm getting very confused and frustrated!

I used a website called www.keepv.com to download a youtube link to my computer. The file name is "get_video" and the type is "document".

Can somebody please give me simple easy newbie instructions on how to watch the video on my computer? And can I burn it to DVD? How do I convert it to the right format?

I have Windows XP and Internet Explorer.

Thanks very much for any help. I am bewildered!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Rename the file get_video.flv or anything.flv. Then you need a way to play FLV files. Get FLV splitter and you can use just about any media player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Internet Video Converter 1.3 (freeware)

IVC - Internet Video Converter is a frontend GUI using open source projects such as Mencoder, FFmpeg & FLVtool2 for transcoding Flash videos & animations from/to major video formats (Flash FLV, SWF, VCD, SVCD, DVD, DV, Mpeg, Divx, Xvid, AVI, Quicktime, WMV, H.264,iPod, PSP, 3GP mobile phone etc...

* Convert videos between major formats (Mpeg (vcd/svcd/dvd compliant), DV, Quicktime, Windows Media, Xvid, H264, 3GP, PSP, iPod, Flash video (FLV, Swf) got from Youtube, DailyMotion, Google Video etc...
    * A video player is integrated for playing all videos.
    * Download videos from over 50 websites like Youtube, DailyMotion, Google Video etc.
    * Extract soundtrack from video.

http://ivcsoft.free.fr/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Rename the file get_video.flv or anything.flv. Then you need a way to play FLV files. Get FLV splitter and you can use just about any media player.
    Thank you!

Could someone please help this newbie out some more? I have downloaded the FLV splitter, but I am confused about the decoder that the page says I need:

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/flv.shtml

I clicked on "FFDShow" in the above link, and then clicked on "Sourceforge" which took me to another page, but which thing should I download out of the choices given? I have Windows XP and Internet Explorer.

*edit* Ahhh, I just noticed when I typed FFDShow in the above paragraph, it turned into a link to a page on this videohelp site. I'll download it from this page.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ^ Well, that page took me to the exact same sourceforge page as I mentioned before. Which thing should I download out of the choices given? I don't understand what they all mean.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just download one of the "stable" builds.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ffdshow-tryout/ffdshow_beta1_20061211_clsid.exe?modti...7&big_mirror=0

After you've installed it go to Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Configuration.

In the top left select Codecs. On the right side scroll down to FLV1 (about half way down the list) and select libavcodec as the decoder. Press OK to close the dialog. You should now be able to view the FLV file with most media players.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, I've done that and I can now view the videos with Windows Media Player, but there is no sound.

Also, am I renaming the files correctly? Or do they actually NEED renaming? They just said "file" as the type when I downloaded the URL from youtube. So I right clicked on the "get_video" name and chose "rename" and changed it to the singer's name and added .flv after it and then clicked enter. In the "type of file" column it changed to "flv file" (instead of just file, as it was before).

But when I clicked the name to open, a box came up that said Windows cannot open the file. So I removed the .flv that I added, and it went back to being just a "file". So then when I clicked to open, a box came up with a choice of programs to use, eg Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer etc, and I chose Windows Media Player, which played them fine but with no sound.

The Quicktime and Realplayer and Musicmatch Jukebox would not play them at all. Maybe I need updates for those ones? Is it best to use Windows Media Player?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Oh, the sound is probably AAC audio. Ffdshow can handle that too:

Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Audio Decoder Configuration

On the left pick Codecs, on the right go down to AAC, select libfaad2 or realacc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I tried selecting both libfaad2 and realacc, but neither made any sound occur. I wonder if it's some other adjustment that needs to be made in Audio Decoder Configuration? I also tried selecting the libav (can't remember the name exactly) for WMA7 and WMA8/9 but still no sound.

I noticed when the decoder was installing that it went through several boxes of choices etc, and one list was about the speakers or sound. I think it had dolby 5.1 (or something like that) automatically ticked as the default. Where would I find that list now? I can't find what type of speakers we have.
    Quote Quote  
  18. sorry, double post
    Quote Quote  
  19. From the audio decoder config, try going to the Mixer section (near the bottom on the left) and changing the Output Speakers Configuration. Maybe 2/0 Stereo?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I tried several of the choices and the 2/2 quadro works fine and sounds the best! Fantastic!

Is there a free, simple, newbie-friendly program available that I can use to burn these videos to DVD discs? Do they need converting to mpeg or something first, in order to watch them on the tv?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD support flvs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Jagabo and Baldrick, thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I am still wondering about the correct way to rename the files with ".flv" on my Windows XP system. Maybe I wasn't renaming them the right way? I'll quote from my earlier post, to explain what I did:

Originally Posted by Froggie
    Do they actually NEED renaming? They just said "unknown file" as the type when I downloaded the URL from youtube. So I right clicked on the "get_video" name and chose "rename" and changed it to the singer's name and added .flv after it and then clicked enter. In the "type of file" column it changed to "flv file" (instead of just file, as it was before).

But when I clicked the name to open, a box came up that said Windows cannot open the file. So I removed the .flv that I added, and it went back to being just a "file". So then when I clicked to open, a box came up with a choice of programs to use, eg Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Realplayer etc, and I chose Windows Media Player, which played them fine.
    So, if I can play them fine on Windows Media Player without adding ".flv" to the end, what is the actual purpose of renaming them?

Do they need to be renamed in order to use a program like ConvertXtoDVD to convert them to mpeg and burn them to DVD discs? I'm still confused about this!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Froggie
    So, if I can play them fine on Windows Media Player without adding ".flv" to the end, what is the actual purpose of renaming them?
    Do you have Windows set up to hide extensions of "known" file types? If so, your files may already have an FLV extension, you just don't see it. Do you see filename extensions with AVI or WMV files?

Open My Computer, select Tools -> Folder Options, go to the View tab, scroll down to "Hide extensions for known file types", turn it off. Then you'll see the filename extension for all files.

WMP is pretty good about determining the file type even if it has no extension, or has the wrong extension. Otherwise, Windows uses the extension to decide which program to use when you double click on an icon.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes, the "hide extensions for known file types" was ticked, so I deselected it. But now I still cannot see ".flv" after the names of the videos I saved, although I now see "avi", "exe" and "mp3" after some names (which were not there before).

When I save the youtube videos, they just say "get_video" and "document" for the type. The pulldown menu gives a choice of either "document" or "all files". I just leave it as document. When I open the files to play them on Windows Media Player, they still just say "unknown file type" in the box, but they play just fine.

So, do you mean I don't have to rename them? And I won't have to rename them if I want to use ConvertXtoDVD to burn them to DVD discs? It's fine as it is? Sorry for all the questions!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Froggie
    Yes, the "hide extensions for known file types" was ticked, so I deselected it. But now I still cannot see ".flv" after the names of the videos I saved, although I now see "avi", "exe" and "mp3" after some names (which were not there before).

When I save the youtube videos, they just say "get_video" and "document" for the type. The pulldown menu gives a choice of either "document" or "all files".
    keepvid.com doesn't give them the extension automatically. You have to add it from the Save File dialog (ie, just type it in) or rename the file later.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Was I renaming them incorrectly then? (the way I described a few posts back?). Because as I said, when I tried to open them, a box came up that said "Windows cannot open the file". It would only let me watch them if I didn't add ".flv" to the end.

Am I supposed to just add ".flv" after the name I have given the video? (the way I described earlier?) Or is there more to it than that?

P.S. I have been using keedvid and keepv to download the youtube videos.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Froggie
    Was I renaming them incorrectly then? (the way I described a few posts back?). Because as I said, when I tried to open them, a box came up that said "Windows cannot open the file". It would only let me watch them if I didn't add ".flv" to the end.

Am I supposed to just add ".flv" after the name I have given the video? (the way I described earlier?) Or is there more to it than that?
    Windows doesn't have an association for FLV files. You have to create one. The easiest way to do this is to double click on an FLV file (one you've already renamed with the .FLV extension). When you get the "cannot open file" dialog use the "Select the program from a list" option. Select Windows Media Player or whatever media player you want to use. You might have to use the Browse option to select WMP, usually "c:\program files\windows media player\wmplayer.exe"). Be sure the "Always use the selected program to open files of this type" option is enabled, then press OK. Now whenever you double click on an FLV file WMP (or whatever player you selected) will be used automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried Hi Download and Orbit at Wolfgang's Vault and neither will work with any input. Still looking....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Jagabo, thanks very much for clearing that up. I did what you said and now I understand and everything is working fine! It's not easy being a newbie so I am very grateful for your patience and assistance. It's really wonderful to be able to download all these videos before they disappear.
    Quote Quote