VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you combine *.wmv.001, *.wmv.002, *.wmv.003 Files?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Download asf tools,it will combine and split asf/wmv files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Files with sequentially numbered extensions like that have been split. To restore them to the original file, use a splitter/joiner program. There are too many such programs to list, but when I put "freeware splitter" into Google, the one at the top was HJSplit. I'm sure it will work for you, and has the added bonus of having versions available for many different operating systems.
    If you don't like that one, Google has 439,000 other links to freeware splitters, and ANY splitter should be able to do the job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or since they are just binary splits of the same file you can just run the DOS copy command as I do, either ...
    Code:
    copy /b "moviename.wmv.*" "moviename.wmv"
    or
    Code:
    copy /b "moviename.wmv.001+moviename.wmv.002+moviename.wmv.003" "moviename.wmv"
    (you only need the quotes if there are spaces in the filenames).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you can use the DOS Copy command with the /b switch, but using the global character "*" won't work correctly on Win98 or XP (I tried it on both OSs using different computers). The files are combined out of sequence. I don't know about WinME, or Win2k.
    Using the "+" method for each source file does work, but that increases the risk of user error from all the typing.
    Also, while the Copy command can work fine if there are only a few split files to combine, it rapidly becomes a nightmare if there are more.
    Another benefit of the splitter/joiner programs is that most of them will detect a missing part that you might otherwise miss, and a missed part makes for a faulty, if not unuseable, combined file.
    On the other hand, people do things differently, because we're all different. You have your choice of several free splitter/joiner programs, and the DOS command line is free, so try both, and see which works best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    copy /b "moviename.wmv.00?" "moviename.wmv"
    "The name on the front of your shirt is more important than the name on the back"
    Kurt Russell - Miracle
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using the "?" character replaces just a single character, so using:
    copy /b "moviename.wmv.00?" "moviename.wmv"
    would skip any file above "moviename.wmv.009".

You could of course use:
    copy /b "moviename.wmv.???" "moviename.wmv"
    but that is is functionally equivalent, but even more restrictive than using the "*" character, because it would only work if there are 3 characters in the file extension.

I did test using the "?" character, again on Win98, and XP, and once again the files were combined out of sequence.

The only way I know of that works, using DOS, would be to make a batch file that contained similar code to this:

Copy /b "example.wmv.001" "example.wmv"
    Copy /b "example.wmv" + "example.wmv.002"
    Copy /b "example.wmv" + "example.wmv.003"

Running the batch file would do the job, but it would be incredibly slow because each line requires the copying of the interim combined file to a new file, and then appending the new split file part.

Please believe me, there is a reason Google has 439,000 hits for file splitter/joiner programs. As a whole, they are fast, efficient, and painless.
    Quote Quote  
  8. VegasBud, why are you joining the files one by one?

A command like:

copy /b exammple001.wmv+example002.wmv+example003.wmv...+e xampleiii.wmv example.wmv

would work, provided the total length does not exceed the 256 characters max length of a Dos command, no?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aguillon,

Actually, I'm not advocating using DOS at all to join files. Since there are so many freeware programs that do the job perfectly and easily, it doesn't make sense to make the process difficult and prone to errors by using DOS.

As to the technique you mentioned (using "+" to connect the individual splits), in an earlier post in this thread, I did say:
    Using the "+" method for each source file does work, but that increases the risk of user error from all the typing.
    So, yes, you are correct that the "+" method does work. It's just SO much easier (and reliable) to just do a couple mouse clicks in an unsplitting program.
    Quote Quote