VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a used Vidicraft Detailer III, but no manual came with it. Does anyone have an electronic copy? Alternatively, can someone explain the function of the "VNX" and "Black" Noise Reduction knobs?

TIA!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VNX is a noise reduction control. It will be very hard to find a manual, Ebay is a great source. There are some Guys who have great knowledge on Vidicraft like GHShelley & Lordsmurf on Vidicraft products. I would ask them if I were you. Vidicraft not in business anymore hard to find information.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VNX and Black noise reduction only affect enhancement noise (that is, video noise and grain brought out by using the Detail and Sharpness controls). They don't do anything unless you use the Detail and Sharpness controls.

I generally don't use them... I just take it easy on the Detail and Sharpness boosting so that there is not too much noise to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    just take it easy on the Detail and Sharpness boosting so that there is not too much noise to begin with.
    Exactly. 8)

Same thing I try to do here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what do you guys normally set the detail and sharpness on for VHS?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It varies depending on the source quality. With some laserdiscs, I can push it quite a bit more than with most VHS tapes. With the Detailer III, I'd say about 1/6 to 1/4 on the Detail knob, and about 1/4 to 1/3 Sharpness.

Adjust the Sharpness first. As you adjust the control, keep an eye out for excess grain, edge ghosting, and/or an unnatural appearance. Same goes for the Detail knob. Less is more with image enhancers. Even a subtle boost will help more than you might think, once you see the finished DVD played back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, gshelley. I'll try some experimentation along those lines.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing to consider (on sharpness) .. that it will vary according
    to the vcr brand being used. Some vcr's incorporate their own set of
    filtering. At least this is what I have learned so far.. plus I have
    several vcr brands to back up that comment. But just keep that in mind
    when devising a sharpening strategy for a given vcr brand (that it might
    not produce the same result if applied on another vcr brand)

Is this for your favorite Avermedia capture card ??
    (just curious)

-vhelp 3347
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @vhelp -

Thanks for the additional factors to consider. And yes, this is for use with my AverMedia DVD EZMaker. I'm not sure how much I'll really use it since it only has composite inputs and outputs, but the price was right (<$25 shipped).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Brainstorm69... I think that you were also bidding on the Vidicraft Vidimate VDM 300S that I purchased on the weekend

It appears from the pictures that it is coming with a manual. Once I receive it, I will share whatever general information there is about the various controls (I assume many of the controls/functions will be similar, if not identical).

Dan
    Quote Quote  
  11. That Vidimate VDM 300S is the only Vidicraft unit I'm aware of that has s-video I/O's... that was a great deal you scored for it, tdan. They are pretty hard to find (the 200S version is more abundant, but has no s-video). These later Vidicraft units were all built in Hong Kong, but the video quality was still top notch. The only downside to the Vidicraft stuff... no black level adjustment. Luma (contrast) only.... along with color, hue, sharpness, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gshelley,
    I had read your excellent sticky that mentioned it being the only one with s-video. When I saw it on eBay with those s-video ports in the picture, and also from a seller in Canada (like me), I jumped on it.

Not sure why these are all going so cheap, but I am not complaining. Combined with my SR-V10U off eBay and an AVT 8710 that I bought from B&H, I feel that I have an above average set-up for doing some decent conversions.

I am excited about gaining good practical experience and then being able to be more of contributor here. I can truly say that this site taught me almost everything I know !

Dan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tdan
    Hi Brainstorm69... I think that you were also bidding on the Vidicraft Vidimate VDM 300S that I purchased on the weekend

It appears from the pictures that it is coming with a manual. Once I receive it, I will share whatever general information there is about the various controls (I assume many of the controls/functions will be similar, if not identical).

Dan
    Yeah, I was also bidding on it. Would have bid a bit more if I hadn't just bought this detailer, and if shipping had been a bit less to the states.

Let us know how it works out for you. And thanks for the offer about sharing whatever info the manual has!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just noticed how old your post is. Let me know if you still need the Detailer III manual

Nick
    Quote Quote